Thoughts?

Dr.Optic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so the problem is that we get to use notes on our next and final biology test. Since I am a science wiz (not to brag) everyone comes to me to "look" at my notes (copies everything that I write). I spent about 2 hours in total perfecting my notes for our science test, and well just giving my notes away doesn't seem right for people who don't put in the effort. I don't think my notes will be enough to just look at and ace the test, but I don't want people who didn't study and just use my notes and get something higher than a C since they didn't put time into understanding concepts. My one problem is that I am a very willing person... I am willing to let people copy off my homework and what not, even though they never did it. I know it's a great trait to be kind and compassionate to others if I want to become a doctor, but I don't know this surge of regret just hit me afterward. Any thought's on how to politely tell people that it took time and effort to make my notes, and I don't want them just to "copy off" mine? I wanted to post this because maybe there are people out there like me and might look for advice too. I don't want to be mean, but I don't want to be too nice either. Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have had similar problems and, in my experience, people understand they have access to other's work on a conditional basis. When I tell them (kindly, not accusationally) that my work, in this case, is mine, they typically understand that I have the right to make that decision. I usually follow up with an offer to study together so they don't feel lost and it doesn't hurt the people that do want to learn but just don't know how (plus it's my favorite way of studying now in college--good notes just don't cut it sometimes these days!)

You are definitely right for not wanting people to coast by on your work. I recommend the compromise of helping people in a way that forces them to work as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, so the problem is that we get to use notes on our next and final biology test. Since I am a science wiz (not to brag) everyone comes to me to "look" at my notes (copies everything that I write). I spent about 2 hours in total perfecting my notes for our science test, and well just giving my notes away doesn't seem right for people who don't put in the effort. I don't think my notes will be enough to just look at and ace the test, but I don't want people who didn't study and just use my notes and get something higher than a C since they didn't put time into understanding concepts. My one problem is that I am a very willing person... I am willing to let people copy off my homework and what not, even though they never did it. I know it's a great trait to be kind and compassionate to others if I want to become a doctor, but I don't know this surge of regret just hit me afterward. Any thought's on how to politely tell people that it took time and effort to make my notes, and I don't want them just to "copy off" mine? I wanted to post this because maybe there are people out there like me and might look for advice too. I don't want to be mean, but I don't want to be too nice either. Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Don't let moochers use your work so that they can avoid the consequences of not doing their own. Being generous and compassionate is one thing—letting lazy students copy off of you is another thing, and it's something you should avoid. You're not helping them any... they're just going to put down the right answers and not actually understand the concepts, which you mentioned.

Ever heard the phrase, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."? If not, it's good to keep in mind in situations such as this. Firmly tell them, "No, I'm not going to let you copy my notes," and instead offer them your help in understanding the content. Not only will it be more beneficial to them, but also you may find them not asking you to share your work as much.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
***Update*** So apparently my notes circulated through all of the classes and people started to use just mine of the test. They all failed the test, and I told them that my notes don't do much if you can't understand the concept. I guess you're right Thomato, thank you for your wise words of wisdom. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I just prefer a straight-out "no".