Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_2023-03-26-07-53-38-32_577d3fb6a74f2f15839a6cd01d5168cd~2.jpg
Didn't know about those green states.Article

Members don't see this ad.

The US is pretty non-homogeneous. Less of melting pot and more of a quilt of various different colors.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I may be a sadist but it does make me feel better that NPs/PAs only had like a 30-70% pass rate on the USMLE step 3.

Also doctors, like all successful athletes and other professionals, have goldfish memory for all the "bad" in their journey. If you want to have a healthy mental state, you can't dwell on all the suffering you did and I believe this is one of the primary reasons doctors say USMLE Step 3 is easier than Step 2, which in turn is easier than Step 1.

Another analogy, when someone is losing weight slowly over time, the person doesn't recognize it unless they meet a friend they haven't seen in a while and the friend is shocked by how much weight they lost, even though (you) as the person felt almost exactly the same because you've normalized yourself.

Thank god for hedonic adaptation working for the negative consequences of the 10,000+ hours of focused dedication.

Reactions: 1 users
I may be a sadist but it does make me feel better that NPs/PAs only had like a 30-70% pass rate on the USMLE step 3.

Also doctors, like all successful athletes and other professionals, have goldfish memory for all the "bad" in their journey. If you want to have a healthy mental state, you can't dwell on all the suffering you did and I believe this is one of the primary reasons doctors say USMLE Step 3 is easier than Step 2, which in turn is easier than Step 1.

Another analogy, when someone is losing weight slowly over time, the person doesn't recognize it unless they meet a friend they haven't seen in a while and the friend is shocked by how much weight they lost, even though (you) as the person felt almost exactly the same because you've normalized yourself.

Thank god for hedonic adaptation working for the negative consequences of the 10,000+ hours of focused dedication.
Remember though that the version they took for Step 3 was watered down, cherry picked questions too

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not sure why someone wants to practice without the legal shield of a physician but hey if they want independent ability to practice then they are welcome to the full liability of their actions.

Sucks that patient care will suffer for it in many cases, but we can’t sit here and pretend that they aren’t filling some role in areas that many doctors don’t necessarily want to practice.

Will they get the best care and quality care that they will having a physician? No, but it’s better than no care or having to drive 100’s of miles to see someone.

Also keep in mind that corporate is always involved, and the pendulum will swing. Eventually legal malpractice lawsuits, imaging and test orders that insurance won’t cover because they can argue that a physician wouldn’t have needed this, the cost savings of “replacing” a physician with a NP/PA will dry up in many cases. The pendulum will eventually shift back.

Physicians just need to collectively agree to stop working at any hospital that hires mid levels. Of course this would never happen but it would easily propel salaries. Also why does it seem like republican states are less likely to embrace full practice

Physicians just need to collectively agree to stop working at any hospital that hires mid levels. Of course this would never happen but it would easily propel salaries. Also why does it seem like republican states are less likely to embrace full practice

I would not want to work at a place without midlevels. Hot take: there is a role for mid levels in medicine.

Residents/interns complain all the time about how they get bogged down on scut work and want to only have educational or learning opportunities.
If not the resident/intern, then who? Answer: The NP or PA.

Most people don’t go into academics after training. Scut work still needs to be done. I imagine most hospitalists would love to have a NP or PA do that stuff for them.

So, by all means, work in a place without midlevels. Just expect to do all the nonsense scut work.

Reactions: 1 users
I would not want to work at a place without midlevels. Hot take: there is a role for mid levels in medicine.

Residents/interns complain all the time about how they get bogged down on scut work and want to only have educational or learning opportunities.
If not the resident/intern, then who? Answer: The NP or PA.

Most people don’t go into academics after training. Scut work still needs to be done. I imagine most hospitalists would love to have a NP or PA do that stuff for them.

So, by all means, work in a place without midlevels. Just expect to do all the nonsense scut work.
Except, it’s never only scut work, is it?

Except, it’s never only scut work, is it?

Doctors who are 100%/no compromise anti midlevels: “NP/PAs…they darn taking our jobs!!!!”

Same Doctors: “I’m getting burnt out from all the BS/scut work/administrative tasks. We are getting no clinical support from higher ups.”