Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suchomski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be an incoming Junior at the start of the FA 2012 semester. I currently have take 69 credits total and have a 3.08 Cumulative GPA. I was just wondering what were some people's thoughts as to my chances of getting an interview at a Med School. I am usually very good at interviews and will be able to explain my rough sophomore year then. Just some thought, if I get good grades, 3.8 or higher in my Junior and Senior years, will I be competitive enough (grades-wise) to get an interview?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I will be an incoming Junior at the start of the FA 2012 semester. I currently have take 69 credits total and have a 3.08 Cumulative GPA. I was just wondering what were some people's thoughts as to my chances of getting an interview at a Med School. I am usually very good at interviews and will be able to explain my rough sophomore year then. Just some thought, if I get good grades, 3.8 or higher in my Junior and Senior years, will I be competitive enough (grades-wise) to get an interview?
Thanks

I believe there is a seperate area for "What are my chances", not that I really care.

Anyway, it depends. GPA alone does not figure in. Are you Black/Hispanic/Native American? Does the school you attend have a medical school attached (20% of the class seats must generally go to students from that school to prove the school is credible I believe. If I am wrong, it is generally higher than what you would expect).

Anyway, the most important things for getting in are GPA and MCAT scores. Pull as close to all A's as you can (not everyone is perfect~) and then take your MCAT. After your first MCAT, then come back and ask. Without MCAT, and so little of the GPA blocks filled in, we can't really tell you.

Are you counted out yet? Absolutely not. Now get working on something productive~ (if not in school then do a hobby~~~) :D.

you're GPA will be low, even with 2 years of 3.8 (probably end in the 3.4 area). So, you're MCAT will need to be higher to make up for it.

Definitely knock out the traditional ECs (shadowing, research, volunteering) but focus on getting good grades and killing the mcat.

Low GPA + Low MCAT = disappointing cycle. Worst case scenario.... start retaking the classes you have poor grades in and get hip to the DO philosophy.

Members don't see this ad :)
you're GPA will be low, even with 2 years of 3.8 (probably end in the 3.4 area). So, you're MCAT will need to be higher to make up for it.

c'mon man, don't tell people about low-gpa's if you don't know the difference between your and you're...