Thread for Canadians with IIs at USDO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

math-wizo

Reaction score
Hey guys, its always helpful to know how other fellow Canadians are doing in their applications to US DO schools. I would love to hear more about where everyone has applied or gotten interviews and acceptances!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Applied to Touro NY, MSU, MWU (Chicago and Arizona), and NSU. No II's yet, but from what I have been reading there is no need for concern yet! Stats are 513 and 3.7 cumulative GPA for undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
II from AZCOM, WCUCOM, MUCOM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have applied to 12 DO schools this cycle. I was wondering when Canadians usually get II's, IS applicants always get interviews early on.

I am curious about this (non-medical school applicant this time around, though I hope to be accepted into either MD or DO by the time I am 45 - I just turned 39 years old a couple of weeks ago - still have to do more postbacc hours to level cGPA & sGPA, SMP, get much clinical experience - I just reapplied to Scribe America today and hoping to start in January, volunteer service, prepare for the MCAT, and research, etc. etc.):

What exactly is it that makes Canadians interested in applying DO?

Are you seeking to bring the U.S.-style osteopathic physician (as opposed to British/Australian or other countries' osteopath) back to Canada?

Are there enough medical schools in Canada?

Anyway, hopefully no one minds questions from a curious onlooker.

Welcome to the United States!

Last edited:
I am curious about this (non-medical school applicant this time around, though I hope to be accepted into either MD or DO by the time I am 45 - I just turned 39 years old a couple of weeks ago - still have to do more undergraduate hours to level cGPA & sGPA, SMP, get much clinical experience - I just reapplied to Scribe America today and hoping to start in January, volunteer service, prepare for the MCAT, and research, etc. etc.):

What exactly is it that makes Canadians interested in applying DO?

Are you seeking to bring the U.S.-style osteopathic physician (as opposed to British/Australian or other countries' osteopath) back to Canada?

Are there enough medical schools in Canada?

Anyway, hopefully no one minds questions from a curious onlooker.

Welcome to the United States!
To answer some of your questions:

Why are Canadians interested in DO?
- In Canada, all med schools are MD and require extremely competitive applications. We are not viewed as holisticly as US MD/DO. We usually require 518+ mcat (practically a minimum), 3.8 gpa, and lots of luck because there are a lot of strong applicants (A LOT) and so very few spots so some hyper competitive applicants never end up getting accepted. When applying to US MD, we have a better chance that Canada MD but not by too much because at the end of the day, we need higher stats than our American counterparts to be admitted to US MD. Therefore, many Canadians look into US DO (now a days, practically no one before 2010). Especially because there is no difference between MD and DO apart from OMM and stigma and usually less research opportunities at the DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
To answer some of your questions:

Why are Canadians interested in DO?
- In Canada, all med schools are MD and require extremely competitive applications. We are not viewed as holisticly as US MD/DO. We usually require 518+ mcat (practically a minimum), 3.8 gpa, and lots of luck because there are a lot of strong applicants (A LOT) and so very few spots so some hyper competitive applicants never end up getting accepted. When applying to US MD, we have a better chance that Canada MD but not by too much because at the end of the day, we need higher stats than our American counterparts to be admitted to US MD. Therefore, many Canadians look into US DO (now a days, practically no one before 2010). Especially because there is no difference between MD and DO apart from OMM and stigma and usually less research opportunities at the DO schools.
Is it hard to match back into Canada as a DO? Curious as well. Or do Canadians that apply here end up staying in the US?
What about financial aid? Can you apply for loans?

Is it hard to match back into Canada as a DO? Curious as well. Or do Canadians that apply here end up staying in the US?
What about financial aid? Can you apply for loans?
So I think all provinces in Ontario now recognize MD = DO so you can apply for residency back in Canada as a DO graduate. However, regardless if you’re US MD or DO, you will be viewed as in IMG (US MDs user to be viewed as equivalent to Canadian medical grads for the match but they just changed that this year). Matching to Canada for residency as an IMG is very difficult because there are very few spots for IMGs and that number continues to drop. In fact, Canadians who go abroad to places like australia and Ireland usually apply to residency in US because there are more spots for IMGs. The Canadians that do apply US DO usually do end up staying in the US as per my conversations with current PGY DO residents and attending. With that being said, after doing residency in the US, it is a fairly easy process to go back to Canada to practice there as the residency training is viewed as equivalent.