DO Deposit vs MD II's Advice Needed/Rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boulderbro12

Reaction score
I want to preface by saying that I am extremely grateful to hold a DO acceptance, and my end goal is to become a physician regardless of title.

I got the A from my top choice DO at a reputable program near home. I've also been fortunate enough to receive 3 MD II's, all at programs I would love to attend. The good news is that these three MD's have very good post-II A rates at around 60-85%. The bad news is that they tend to not respond with any A's until after the new year into spring. My first DO deposit of $1000 is coming up on 12/15 and the second $1000 on 1/15. I know from reading past threads, that one should ALWAYS err on the side of caution and kiss the deposit goodbye (or not if I don't get any MD A's). The $2000 deposit is even harder to digest after calculating my chances of acceptance at at least one MD using Post-II A rates. Combined, it turned out to be 97%. Realistically, I'm paying $2000 to hedge against that 3% chance that I don't get in anywhere. I'm just extremely annoyed that these two payments are not even spread out, given that the holiday season is slow with any news from adcoms. Although I can't imagine changes in the foreseeable future, AACOM needs to crack down on these UNETHICAL DO deposits that are just a cash grab at struggling premeds looking to make the best choice for their selves.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Texas resident with multiple interviews in the state, most of us don’t get our official notification of A/WL/R until February since we “match,” so I’m in your shoes.

I’m paying my deposit! Don’t get me wrong, I had a dream I got an acceptance to another school that didn’t require me to pay this last night, but the NIGHTMARE of not paying and going through the application cycle again? Absolutely the heck not 😭

I believe you will get the acceptance, but not knowing your stats/interview skills/overall app, the post-acceptance rate is honestly never something you can predict, so until you have the official acceptance notification, assume the worst and pay the deposit.

It definitely sucks and I completely get your annoyance and mental struggle. I like to think back to 1 year ago when i was knee deep in MCAT studying and uncertainty of if I would be even applying while waiting on my results…I would 100% have paid $2000 to get a guaranteed acceptance. Your future patients will want you to pay :)

• Care
I'd pay the deposit. Even with your estimations, there is still a risk. I know a grand is a lot to fork up but I try to frame it compared to the cost of reapplying next cycle if the MD II don't pan out. Just the peace of mind alone I think will help while we anxiously wait for updates in the spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I can't imagine changes in the foreseeable future, AACOM needs to crack down on these UNETHICAL DO deposits that are just a cash grab at struggling premeds looking to make the best choice for their selves.
This isn't unethical. Most other admissions processes require tuition deposits. They know the lose out people who jump to the first MD program offered. It becomes a price to pay to have the security of going to medical school.

Reactions: 5 users
This isn't unethical. Most other admissions processes require tuition deposits. They know the lose out people who jump to the first MD program offered. It becomes a price to pay to have the security of going to medical school.
While I agree they need some money back for people just using them as an acceptance…schools regularly charging $2000 and even some I’ve heard charging $3000 is absolutely insane! That is WEEKS or MONTHS of work and I cannot imagine being low income and struggling to pay that without any aid. Then they have to think about saving for the cost of moving potentially across the state :( I truly feel for them.

My school is asking us to put down $1200 and only putting $1000 towards our tuition. It just feels like something should be different about that

Reactions: 4 users
Put down the deposit. At the beginning of the cycle if you could put a price on a guaranteed seat I’m sure you wouldn’t have blinked at the $2k, you have that option now, no point in taking this risk especially when the cycle can be unpredictable! Sure you could say that the post-II rate is one thing but maybe this year they had really good applicants early in the cycle and at this point the post-II rate is much lower, you can’t know for sure…

While I agree they need some money back for people just using them as an acceptance…schools regularly charging $2000 and even some I’ve heard charging $3000 is absolutely insane! That is WEEKS or MONTHS of work and I cannot imagine being low income and struggling to pay that without any aid. Then they have to think about saving for the cost of moving potentially across the state :( I truly feel for them.

My school is asking us to put down $1200 and only putting $1000 towards our tuition. It just feels like something should be different about that
Yep. I've seen it for Dental School. Up to $5k spread out over a few months. Only the first $1000 was refundable until the calendar struck March.

I comisserate with the frequency of the deposits. Understand if you had an offer later that the amounts could stack. That is to say, you may have to owe $1000 now and then $2000 a month later.

Reactions: 3 users
I want to preface by saying that I am extremely grateful to hold a DO acceptance, and my end goal is to become a physician regardless of title.

I got the A from my top choice DO at a reputable program near home. I've also been fortunate enough to receive 3 MD II's, all at programs I would love to attend. The good news is that these three MD's have very good post-II A rates at around 60-85%. The bad news is that they tend to not respond with any A's until after the new year into spring. My first DO deposit of $1000 is coming up on 12/15 and the second $1000 on 1/15. I know from reading past threads, that one should ALWAYS err on the side of caution and kiss the deposit goodbye (or not if I don't get any MD A's). The $2000 deposit is even harder to digest after calculating my chances of acceptance at at least one MD using Post-II A rates. Combined, it turned out to be 97%. Realistically, I'm paying $2000 to hedge against that 3% chance that I don't get in anywhere. I'm just extremely annoyed that these two payments are not even spread out, given that the holiday season is slow with any news from adcoms. Although I can't imagine changes in the foreseeable future, AACOM needs to crack down on these UNETHICAL DO deposits that are just a cash grab at struggling premeds looking to make the best choice for their selves.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Pay the deposit.
Consider it insurance.
You'll make it back as an attending.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the insight everyone. I'm paying the deposit regardless. I will keep my head up high and frame it in a positive mindset!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user