Thread for scam jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BIGphysician

Show a little respect would you?
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to start a thread to post about jobs that turned out to be essentially a scam. For example, I recently responded to a posting from gasworks. Group was "looking for 1 anesthesiologist" was advertising a competitive salary. I responded, touched base, and even did a site visit. Apparently the hospital had built an entire new OR and realistically they needed probably 8-10 more people. Kicker was they told me the salary was actually about $75,000 less per year than was advertised, "but the benefits make it come out to what was advertised." I asked if I could talk to one of the newer employees in group, they put me in touch with some guy that had been there for 3 years, when I reached out to him he told me he was essentially too busy to talk. During the site visit, I was introduced to 1-2 people that had just been hired within 6 months. Would have liked to talk to them. Red flag for me was when I said good bye to one of these new people during the interview, they quickly broke eye contact and looked down as if they knew I was on the cusp of being fooled.

During the visit, guy kept me there for over 2 hours trying to sell me on every possible thing from having a level 1 transfuser to how shiny the OR walls look, to we even have "PSV PRO" on these machines. Even tried to sell me on the label maker. Everyone seemed nice, but he was trying WAY too hard. I actually had to make an excuse to leave because the site visit was going past two hours and just too much nonsense.

Anyone else have similar stories?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Another crazy story about a job I inquired about in southern California. The group posts an opening for a job, then you start talking to them, and turns out they actually want to hire you as an internal locum covering sites within about a 100 mile radius for 1 year. Then hilariously, they tell you this is part of an internal match process where you're essentially auditioning for a spot like a residency or something. Continues to go on to tell me its like a completely fair mutual match just like residency. Guy wanted me to move across the country, basically live out of my car driving all around southern california while on egg shells auditioning for jobs for a year, in practice settings I may not even want to be involved with. You have no idea what type of setting they're sending you to that first year, or if you'd even want to "audition" at a place like that. Not to mention they want you to credential at like 12 hospitals.

Just to sniff the guy out, I said, "alright whats the next step? Come out there and see some of the practices?" Goes on to tell me not really needed, and forwards me a legitimate application packet and wants 3 written references prior. Guy was legitimately insane.

These people are legitimately crazy.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Another crazy story about a job I inquired about in southern California. The group posts an opening for a job, then you start talking to them, and turns out they actually want to hire you as an internal locum covering sites within about a 100 mile radius for 1 year. Then hilariously, they tell you this is part of an internal match process where you're essentially auditioning for a spot like a residency or something. Continues to go on to tell me its like a completely fair mutual match just like residency. Guy wanted me to move across the country, basically live out of my car driving all around southern california while on egg shells auditioning for jobs for a year, in practice settings I may not even want to be involved with. You have no idea what type of setting they're sending you to that first year, or if you'd even want to "audition" at a place like that. Not to mention they want you to credential at like 12 hospitals.

Just to sniff the guy out, I said, "alright whats the next step? Come out there and see some of the practices?" Goes on to tell me not really needed, and forwards me a legitimate application packet and wants 3 written references prior. Guy was legitimately insane.

If this is ASMG, which it probably is, then your characterization of the practice is grossly inaccurate. Too bad you feel that way since it’s a highly reputable and fair group.

Reactions: 1 user
If this is ASMG, which it probably is, then your characterization of the practice is grossly inaccurate. Too bad you feel that way since it’s a highly reputable and fair group.

I don’t think they’ve “scammed” anyone in their 70+ yr history.

not familiar with an ASMG, but maybe the description I was given sounded crazy for an established anesthesiologist to go for that.
Well remember one thing about anesthesia practice is that territory is a big deal and many practices try to get as much of it as they can. It increases a practices value. It’s not much of a shock if a group has a big coverage area and would like to have people available to cover all spots. I actually commend a practice for trying to find the area “that’s a good fit” because some will just make you work in awful places or places where you skills aren’t

SoCal is an interesting anesthesia job market given the population, they payor mix, and all the different hospitals systems

That does sound like ASMG. They are a legit group per reputation and not out to scam people. But they definitely do make people jump through hoops and that process would be annoying, especially for someone established.