Threads that really belong in the Pre-Pharmacy area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We had a clean start, but now topics are showing up in the Pharmacy Students forum that really belong in the Pre-Pharmacy forum. We need to find some sort of balance, before it gets (more) out of hand. I suggest that we come up with some guidelines for what topics belong in this area, and a system for getting topics moved to the Pre-Pharm area if they need to be. I am going to throw some ideas out there, just to get the ball rolling.

The topics appropriate for the Pharmacy Students area are those primarily of interest to current pharmacy students. If a topic is primarily of benefit to Pre-Pharm folks, it really needs to be placed in the Pre-Pharm area by the OP or by a mod.

I would say that any thread consisting of inquiries about a particular school or what pharmacy school is like belongs in the Pre-Pharm area, even if it is the wish of the OP for pharmacy students to be the ones answering the question. If these threads stay here, it will virtually eliminate the distinction between the two areas.

Examples of things I think are incorrectly posted in the Pharmacy Student forum:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=157684
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=157943
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=157872
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=157702
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=154466

What is the best system for getting these threads moved quickly, before they accumulate 15 responses like the top thread? Are we going to PM Brill? Can we "report bad post" and mark "incorrect forum" as the reason the post is bad? Should we post in the thread and just wait? Will agreeing on a set of criteria help SDN staff know what topics we do and don't want posted here?

What do you all think? I know there are alot of people out there just waiting to speak on this subject.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the only way to move threads is to have a mod move them. So that's the solution to having them moved.

Perhaps some are still under the impression that threads such as those you've referenced won't be read by pharmacy students. This, of course, is just not true, as seen in the pre-pharmacy forum since the beginning of the new pharmacy forum.

I'm not quite sure exactly what the solution is at the moment, although I think for starters, this thread will make more people aware of this situation. I also think that posting in the actual threads to let the OP know that it is in the wrong forum is a positive. I'll think on it more this evening and post something else after the class of death, I mean, er...Calculus. ;)

We need to speak clearly and politely when we post in the thread itself. We don't want new users to feel unwelcome. We just need to make sure that they know where things belong. I still kind of like the idea of having a sticky addressing what appropriate topics are for the Pharmacy Student area.

Members don't see this ad :)
I moved all the threads you mentioned with redirects. PM any of the online mods, or continue pointing them out in thread until people get the hang of it. Thanks for bringing it up.

Sorry, I've been kinda swamped with tests the past week or so and haven't been online as much as usual. A couple of those I didn't move though because I thought they could be considered appropriate for the Pharmacy Student section. I do agree though...threads that would be of more benefit to pre-pharms should be over there.

bananaface said:
We need to speak clearly and politely when we post in the thread itself. We don't want new users to feel unwelcome. We just need to make sure that they know where things belong.

Absolutely. The last thing we need is either forum turning into a pre-allo-esque forum. :) I've noticed that some folks will post the same thing in both forums, and I've usually responded in the pre-pharmacy forum and directed them to there in the pharmacy forum thread. Like I said earlier though, I think it could be just from fear of their threads not being seen by current pharmacy students, which is just not the case. With that said, I think the pharmacy students are doing an excellent job of still reading and responding to threads in the pre-pharmacy forum. :thumbup:

Uh...It's cool that u send all the Pre-Pharmacy forums to their spots but the Forum...IS PHARMACY SCHOOL ALL CHEMISTRY? Is for Pharmacy students to let me know what's really good.....

DrKemKem said:
Uh...It's cool that u send all the Pre-Pharmacy forums to their spots but the Forum...IS PHARMACY SCHOOL ALL CHEMISTRY? Is for Pharmacy students to let me know what's really good.....

just because you want pharmacy students to read it and answer doesn't mean it belongs here. just like all of the wanting to know about a particular school thread.... yeah you want current students to read and answer but honestly as a pharm student i don't want to sift through all of the: how do you like UCD?, where did you get in and why did you choose your school? why pharmacy? is math really important in pharmacy school? is pharmacy all chemistry? threads just to find things that are relevant.

I believe that we are doing well answering questions over on the other thread and this one should be used for current issues in pharmacy school or pharmacy practice. Not the decision making process...
:)

bbmuffin said:
just because you want pharmacy students to read it and answer doesn't mean it belongs here. just like all of the wanting to know about a particular school thread.... yeah you want current students to read and answer but honestly as a pharm student i don't want to sift through all of the: how do you like UCD?, where did you get in and why did you choose your school? why pharmacy? is math really important in pharmacy school? is pharmacy all chemistry? threads just to find things that are relevant.

I believe that we are doing well answering questions over on the other thread and this one should be used for current issues in pharmacy school or pharmacy practice. Not the decision making process...

Uhh...Ok...calm down....just thought I'd ask.... :D I get your point though

bbmuffin said:

i nominate bbmuffin and futureRxgirl to be unofficial mods of this forum.

DrKemKem said:
Uhh...Ok...calm down....just thought I'd ask.... :D I get your point though

lol i wasn't meaning to sound hyper (see disclaimer at bottom of post)

i was just giving the reason i felt that the threads belong in the pre-pharm area..

Members don't see this ad :)
I have cum 3.15 and pre- req 3.26 , my pcat is 53 and i have almost 3 years of pharmacy experience ( pharm tech ) , good rec letters and volunteered . will I be a good candidate ?

I have cum 3.15 and pre- req 3.26 , my pcat is 53 and i have almost 3 years of pharmacy experience ( pharm tech ) , good rec letters and volunteered . will I be a good candidate ?

Wow a thread from ‘04?

To answer your question: yes.

Reactions: 1 user

This is the worse necro I have seen here. Lolo, if you bothered to go to the pre-pharm board you would see that as long as you have a pulse and are eligible for federal loans you will 100% be accepted into pharmacy school. Pharmacy schools don't care about your grades, experience, or letters of recommendation. They have lots of empty seats and are literally taking anyone who can pay tuition.

Reactions: 4 users
This is the worse necro I have seen here. Lolo, if you bothered to go to the pre-pharm board you would see that as long as you have a pulse and are eligible for federal loans you will 100% be accepted into pharmacy school. Pharmacy schools don't care about your grades, experience, or letters of recommendation. They have lots of empty seats and are literally taking anyone who can pay tuition.
I am new user , trying to figure it out

• Haha
This is indeed the worst necro I have ever seen as the OP had made a meta post and this isn't even the pre-pharm forum.

Reactions: 3 users
You literally have to check a box saying you understand this thread is 14 years old and may be considered spam.

I was looking forward to this thread too. Mods need to move this to prepharm I think.

• Love
  • Haha
But we are telling the guy to take responsibility for his decision based on the job market so does this need to be CC'd in the hidden forum too? When does the over moderating end?

Reactions: 1 users
Oh so many names of people gone past... ah the old days of SDN in the 00’s

• Haha
You survive them all

lol, I’m an oldie but not quite he titleholder. I wasn’t super active until maybe 2-3 years after joining.

I remember the sound advice of SDN1977 getting me through pre-pharm

This is indeed the worst necro I have ever seen as the OP had made a meta post and this isn't even the pre-pharm forum.

Not sure that his question even applies to the point of the old necrothred either.

I vote to put him on probationary status for derailment of a perfectly good thread.

Mods over moderating back in 2004. Some things never change.

Sounds like someone wants to volunteer to show the mods how its done. Perhaps do away with pre-pharm and under-moderate letting people post what they want when they want? I mean itd make my job easier if you think you can convince the super-admins. Care for me to drop your name off as a nominee?

For future reference, when a "box" shows up telling you that a thread is over a year old (let alone 15 years old) don't post.

Oh so many names of people gone past... ah the old days of SDN in the 00’s

The good old days when it was actually competitive to get into school!

• Love
So not only did a thread from 2004 get necrobumped, but now we’re having a full blown conversation about it 15 years later. LMAO y’all are wild.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like someone wants to volunteer to show the mods how its done. Perhaps do away with pre-pharm and under-moderate letting people post what they want when they want? I mean itd make my job easier if you think you can convince the super-admins. Care for me to drop your name off as a nominee?

That would be perfect!

One of my favorite forums on the web is this one:

Completely different from pharmacy but people post whatever they want, when they want. It's been unchanged for over 20 years and it's awesome!

• Love
That would be perfect!

One of my favorite forums on the web is this one:

Completely different from pharmacy but people post whatever they want, when they want. It's been unchanged for over 20 years and it's awesome!

I just spent some time on that forum. At first I was thinking - I’m not a runner, The most exercise I get is pouring milk into my cocoa pebbles in the morning so I wouldn’t find it interesting.

I found all sorts of stuff on there from politics, to debates on why ugly men in New York City are always seen with hot women, to some straight up bucknasty stuff that I had to access my moral
Compass to navigate away from.. what a trip...

Great suggestion Mentos thanks

I just spent some time on that forum. At first I was thinking - I’m not a runner, The most exercise I get is pouring milk into my cocoa pebbles in the morning so I wouldn’t find it interesting.

I found all sorts of stuff on there from politics, to debates on why ugly men in New York City are always seen with hot women, to some straight up bucknasty stuff that I had to access my moral
Compass to navigate away from.. what a trip...

Great suggestion Mentos thanks

Yeah it's really interesting! I haven't run since high school so I mostly browse the off topic stuff. Some threads are very funny even the troll ones. Anything goes, no moving or closing threads. Just let people do what they want!

• Love

There is literally no reason for me not to call your bluff and tell you to do it. I know they'd never do that. And if they did, I would instantly abuse my power for my own amusement.

Around when this thread was started I was in middle school and my friend's mom was telling us to do pharmacy cause it was a growing field. I remember thinking pharmacy was for girls.

• Wow
There is literally no reason for me not to call your bluff and tell you to do it. I know they'd never do that. And if they did, I would instantly abuse my power for my own amusement.

LOL....This isn't a poker game (no reason to bluff) either you want it or not.

Sounds like you don't. If that's the case, be my plus 1 and hit that RP when you see mischief about. Until then, enjoy that investment thread and hit me a PM every now and then. Imma be your mod for sometime ;)

As for our new user that bumped a 15 year old thread:

1) Welcome to SDN
2) Don't open up threads almost older than most fresh undergrad users on here with the following question:

have cum 3.15 and pre- req 3.26 , my pcat is 53 and i have almost 3 years of pharmacy experience ( pharm tech ) , good rec letters and volunteered . will I be a good candidate ?

Simply start a new thread in pre-pharmacy and go from there. Further questions message me and I'll assist where I can. to that, may this thread rest in what peace is left from our moderator emeritus user.

Status
Not open for further replies.