Three letter chain staff FT hours question

Started by Muji11
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Muji11

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've been working at the 3 letter chain as staff with FT status but I have not been getting the hours I was expecting. My hours fall below the 30 hours that I thought I am guaranteed and I have to work 3 days of half day shifts in a week with a long drive to work. I'm not sure what to do but I want to work more to pay off my 250k student loans. Seems like FT floats can get more hours, would it be reasonable to request that? What are my options here?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I worked for that three letter chain but back when you could have all the hours you wanted. If you lived in a motor home you could drive from store to store sleeping in the parking lot (trapper john pharmd 80's flashback).

Your student loans are a very real debt so I would see if there was a way for you to increase your income within the same company. If you can't meet your needs, I would start looking for a new job ASAP before the new grads get licensed.
 
Saturation is real

Yeah, hours arent as plentiful as it used to be.
Store times have been cut shorter, overlap shorter, less rph/tech hour budget, OT is rare now.

Floater seem like you get more hours and sometimes less
its a gamble, I know a floater that got 16 or 24 hours on some random weeks.
And its alot of it can depend if a staff call out sick or go on vacation can affect your hours
 
Try transferring to a more rural or less desirable area where there are more available shifts. You might even get OT.
 
Try transferring to a more rural or less desirable area where there are more available shifts. You might even get OT.
Yes, this can be done now, don't wait until after graduation. They will hire 20 stupid interns to the same float pool at CVS. These interns will go to the boonies too. It's better you than them getting the BFE areas 40h guarantee +pity+