Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Academia is not so shielded from monetary corruption as I'm sure you will soon seeWow, and we wonder why interventional pain medicine as a specialty is in deep trouble. If some of the comments on this thread represent practice patterns at large, then insurance abuse is disturbingly common.
This sort of stuff will maintain incomes in the short term but it will just create enormous problems in the long run: more denials of care, more procedures being listed as "investigational," less reimbursement for individual procedures, more erosion of respect for physicians (are we doctors or glorified salespersons?), more insurance audits... I mean, this is crazy! I can see why private practice is dying. It's just not a sustainable model of practice, especially if the truly ethical physicians are struggling to make it financially and you have to resort to some of the ridiculous tactics above to remain financially viable. I just had a conversation with an older pain physician the other day. He had his own practice and tried his absolute best to practice ethically, only performing interventions when indicated and doing the bare minimum to get the job done, as he learned in his fellowship. He almost went bankrupt and had to sell his practice. Yet, there are many practices in my area doing the complete opposite (3 level TFESIs, routine series of 3, and god knows what other medically unnecessary procedures) and they are making a killing--in many cases, THRIVING.
Wtf is going on in interventional pain???? If this is the norm, then I'm genuinely worried about the future of pain medicine as a specialty. Ethics and profits shouldn't be mutually exclusive, but increasingly they seem to be in interventional pain medicine. That's a very sad state of affairs for our field.
At this point, I'm heading back into academia. Less money, but at least I can sleep at night with a clean conscience. I'd rather be a middle class physician devoted to excellence in patient care than a rich doctor compromising my core values. At some point, profit becomes counterproductive for physicians.
