Three Options for Diversity Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anttino427

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I understand there are many threads on this type of secondary question so I am fully aware of what is meant by "diversity." However, I was just looking for some feedback on three ideas of mine since most of my other interesting topics were already covered in my primary.

1. Strong ties to my Italian background. Although my immediate family was born here, half of my extended family resides in Italy. I have been there three times and many of them have traveled here (we are very close). My household reflects these Italian-American values as well. Concerns: Italian culture may be overrepresented (although highly stereotyped) and these trips may be seen as being privileged.

2. I started reading a lot of philosophy after I realized there was no philosophy minor at my school, specifically Buddhism after I took a class relating Buddhism with neuroscience. Concerns: I do not know if this carries weight since it was mostly on my own.

3. I double majored in Neuroscience and Biochemistry and took a large range of courses. Concerns: Both majors pertain to science.

Thank you all for responding! All comments are appreciated!

3 is not diversity. Just browse around here and see how many double majors there are. I don’t consider travel to Italy as diversity...

2. Is intriguing.

I would go with #1...it's an authentic piece of your heritage. The family trips don't seem privileged to me. #3 doesn't separate you from many other pre-meds, and #2 doesn't seem a strong enough interest in Buddhism, but this is my second choice for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I understand there are many threads on this type of secondary question so I am fully aware of what is meant by "diversity." However, I was just looking for some feedback on three ideas of mine since most of my other interesting topics were already covered in my primary.

1. Strong ties to my Italian background. Although my immediate family was born here, half of my extended family resides in Italy. I have been there three times and many of them have traveled here (we are very close). My household reflects these Italian-American values as well. Concerns: Italian culture may be overrepresented (although highly stereotyped) and these trips may be seen as being privileged.

2. I started reading a lot of philosophy after I realized there was no philosophy minor at my school, specifically Buddhism after I took a class relating Buddhism with neuroscience. Concerns: I do not know if this carries weight since it was mostly on my own.

3. I double majored in Neuroscience and Biochemistry and took a large range of courses. Concerns: Both majors pertain to science.

Thank you all for responding! All comments are appreciated!
Come back when you have #4. Introspection is a required trait for a doctor. There is nothing new about #3

Reactions: 1 user
I really like #1! It's true to who you are and lots of people are taking trips and aren't necessarily going to be seen as privileged it depends on how you present it and if you were honest with the amcas socioeconomic/ethnic portion then it's not going to be a secret either way so you may as well continue to be true to yourself. Talk about how this shaped you, how it leads you to want to understand other cultures and patients who may be immigrants/have half their family living in another country and how that'll increase your empathy toward them and develop your cultural awareness. Throw in a few anecdotes and mention the diversity of your family dynamics vs. a typical "American" family and you're good to go. The essay that sounds most like YOU is going to sound the best regardless of if it's extremely diverse or not, we are ALL humans after all so what makes us unique also makes us connected :)

Listen to Goro and dig around your life to see if you can find a different diversity topic. But if you're really having a hard time and can't think of anything else, I think #1 is your best bet. I understand your concerns, but no one is going to say anything negative about your app because of the circumstances of your birth. It's all in how you write about it. If you choose to go with #1, there are a variety of perspectives you can take: relate your experiences in Italy to how it helps you understand how immigrants and non-native English speakers may feel when coming to America, write about struggles you may have observed or heard of your overseas family encountering when they visit the U.S. and how that has helped you become more empathetic, talk about how growing up with one foot in each of two different cultures has shaped your approach to life, etc. etc.

Another thing you can do is just to write out what you want to say with all three options, set them aside for a day or two, and then come back to them to see which one works best. Sometimes you have to see it on paper/screen before you can make a final decision.