This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny-side-up

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm looking for some insight as to my current situation, like most posts in this forum. I currently have a B.S. in Psychology from Penn State University with a cumulative GPA of 3.56. After graduation I realized that I wanted to pursue medical school, meaning that I needed to go back to school to take medical school prerequisites. I was accepted to UPenn's Postbac Program but declined because the price was outrageous and they don't offer financial aid for non-degree programs. Instead, I decided to attend my local community college to fulfill all of my prerequisites.

The list includes: College Algebra, College Trigonometry, Calculus & Analytical Geometry, Anatomy & Physiology I & II, General Chemistry I & II, Organic Chemistry I & II, Physiological Chemistry, and Physics I & II.

As of right now, my GPA from the community college is 3.83. I can honestly say that these lectures and labs are significantly harder than the classes I took at PSU. Granted, the material itself may be slightly harder to grasp but I've also taken my fair share of science courses to earn a bachelor's degree in science. Even though this is the case, I know that some med schools discriminate against community colleges.

I've got TONS of clinical research experience including working in the cancer center at the local hospital. I would really appreciate if anyone has ANY advice on what else I should be doing to get accepted into med school, what my realistic chances are of getting in, and if any other non-traditional student is going through something similar.

Sorry for the long post... thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

The fact that you took classes at a community college will not prevent you from attending med school. Are you at a disadvantage ? maybe. Med school is becoming really competitive and it might not be that admissions don't like community colleges in a sense, it's just that people taking tougher classes at competitive 4 year schools will have an edge on you. It's better to know that ahead of time and plan accordingly. What you sir have to do is perform well on the MCAT (508 and above) with a strong performance in both science sections. If you do that, the admission committee will have no argument against you taking classes at a community college, you have basically performed as well as someone who took classes at a competitive 4 year school. So at the end of the day, investing 50k on a postbac might give you an edge when applying to med school. But hey, if you can get accepted without doing that, then more power to you.

The fact that you took classes at a community college will not prevent you from attending med school. Are you at a disadvantage ? maybe. Med school is becoming really competitive and it might not be that admissions don't like community colleges in a sense, it's just that people taking tougher classes at competitive 4 year schools will have an edge on you. It's better to know that ahead of time and plan accordingly. What you sir have to do is perform well on the MCAT (508 and above) with a strong performance in both science sections. If you do that, the admission committee will have no argument against you taking classes at a community college, you have basically performed as well as someone who took classes at a competitive 4 year school. So at the end of the day, investing 50k on a postbac might give you an edge when applying to med school. But hey, if you can get accepted without doing that, then more power to you.
Thank you for your honest advice and speedy response! Yeah I've definitely gone back and forth about my decision, but there was just no way that I could justify being $100,000 in debt before all the med school debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your CC classes are as rigorous as you say they are, then the med schools nearby would likely know it and you taking classes there won't be a disadvantage at all. Schools outside your area likely won't know so those schools would probably be a little more skeptical of your abilities. Like xanias said, kill the MCAT and you should be fine numbers-wise. Also, you should take biochem. As for ECs...

What types of volunteer work are you doing?

I took the bulk of my prerequisites at community college and I have two acceptances. A lot of schools don't seem to take too much issue with CC credit as long as your GPA is really good and you perform well on the MCAT. Definitely check the MSAR though and make sure each school you apply to will accept CC credit for prerequisite courses, because there are some schools that don't accept them or only accept a few CC courses.

If your CC classes are as rigorous as you say they are, then the med schools nearby would likely know it and you taking classes there won't be a disadvantage at all. Schools outside your area likely won't know so those schools would probably be a little more skeptical of your abilities. Like xanias said, kill the MCAT and you should be fine numbers-wise. Also, you should take biochem. As for ECs...

What types of volunteer work are you doing?
That's true. Unfortunately the closest medical school is an hour and a half away from my community college. My volunteer work is definitely lacking. I'm most likely going to be doing the bulk of my volunteering once I finish all of my classes. I'm actually leaning towards doing some medical volunteering abroad.

I took the bulk of my prerequisites at community college and I have two acceptances. A lot of schools don't seem to take too much issue with CC credit as long as your GPA is really good and you perform well on the MCAT. Definitely check the MSAR though and make sure each school you apply to will accept CC credit for prerequisite courses, because there are some schools that don't accept them or only accept a few CC courses.
That's awesome! Congratulations :) I'll definitely do that. Thank you so much for your response.

Hi everybody! I'm looking for some insight as to my current situation, like most posts in this forum. I currently have a B.S. in Psychology from Penn State University with a cumulative GPA of 3.56. After graduation I realized that I wanted to pursue medical school, meaning that I needed to go back to school to take medical school prerequisites. I was accepted to UPenn's Postbac Program but declined because the price was outrageous and they don't offer financial aid for non-degree programs. Instead, I decided to attend my local community college to fulfill all of my prerequisites.

The list includes: College Algebra, College Trigonometry, Calculus & Analytical Geometry, Anatomy & Physiology I & II, General Chemistry I & II, Organic Chemistry I & II, Physiological Chemistry, and Physics I & II.

As of right now, my GPA from the community college is 3.83. I can honestly say that these lectures and labs are significantly harder than the classes I took at PSU. Granted, the material itself may be slightly harder to grasp but I've also taken my fair share of science courses to earn a bachelor's degree in science. Even though this is the case, I know that some med schools discriminate against community colleges.

I've got TONS of clinical research experience including working in the cancer center at the local hospital. I would really appreciate if anyone has ANY advice on what else I should be doing to get accepted into med school, what my realistic chances are of getting in, and if any other non-traditional student is going through something similar.

Sorry for the long post... thanks! :)
Do well on MCAT and you'll plenty of friendly MD and DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I did all my prereqs at night at a CC while working as a chemistry teacher during the day. This was back in the day (I'm currently a PGY-3 resident), but there are some schools that will look down on the CC credits, but if you're solid otherwise, you should get some interview love. Good luck!

I also had no issue with community college credits. I had to take several of my prerequisites at CC because they were only the school that offered evening courses in the area. I missed it if you said... but have you been racking up volunteer/shadowing hours? I really think that's a vital part of both your decision to become a physician and the application.

I did all my prereqs at night at a CC while working as a chemistry teacher during the day. This was back in the day (I'm currently a PGY-3 resident), but there are some schools that will look down on the CC credits, but if you're solid otherwise, you should get some interview love. Good luck!
Thanks so much! That's awesome that you were able to teach and take night classes... talk about dedication!

I also had no issue with community college credits. I had to take several of my prerequisites at CC because they were only the school that offered evening courses in the area. I missed it if you said... but have you been racking up volunteer/shadowing hours? I really think that's a vital part of both your decision to become a physician and the application.
I have a lot of clinical hours, but virtually no volunteering experience. I'm planning on doing all of my volunteering hours after I'm done with classes.