Ties to state if you were born there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boogiecousins94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was born in NY (place of birth on all my official documents) but lived there for less than a year. I know this is not in state obviously but does this count for anything? I have very strong ties to the state, both parents were born in Queens/the Bronx and both went to college there. I'm assuming no but I don't know if its worth it to apply to any SUNY schools if Im OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, if you really want to go to those schools, you can still apply. FWIW, I was born in an east coast state, lived there for a few years, then my parents moved us. My parents are both alma maters of the state school, so I applied there, and was rejected. I think my stats were a little above the school's average, too, so the fact that my parents went there and I was born there didn't help me. But if you have the money, and want to end up near those schools, it doesn't hurt to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Two main reasons schools look for in-state ties:

1) They know you're familiar with the state and are at a lower risk of bailing once you have a degree and will hopefully practice in the state.
2) You or someone in your immediate family has been paying state taxes which help fund the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Two main reasons schools look for in-state ties:

1) They know you're familiar with the state and are at a lower risk of bailing once you have a degree and will hopefully practice in the state.
2) You or someone in your immediate family has been paying state taxes which help fund the school.

So if I've worked full time in MA for the past year and pay taxes there but have CT residency (license, car registration, parents live there etc.) what does that count as? I know UMass has a weird requirement where it has to be 7 years for residency so I know I would be OOS but I clearly have ties to the state so I guess worth applying there now since they accept OOS.

So if I've worked full time in MA for the past year and pay taxes there but have CT residency (license, car registration, parents live there etc.) what does that count as? I know UMass has a weird requirement where it has to be 7 years for residency so I know I would be OOS but I clearly have ties to the state so I guess worth applying there now since they accept OOS.
You need to ask UMass specifically about that..

It actually might help somewhat--but certainly not as much as if you were actually a current in-state resident, nor as much as if you had lived there most of your childhood. On a scale of 0 being absolutely no connection to NY and a 10 being an in-state resident who has lived there your whole life, you'd probably be viewed by most admissions committees somewhere around a 2-3. If you're trying to push this angle, you should emphasize if you have any strong connections with distant relatives, grandparents, etc.