Time for hobbies/sports in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Virgil

Hi hi!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wish to be in the top 10% of my medical school class. I am very intelligent, and a very hard-worker. However, I'm pretty sure the rest of my class is also very intelligent and hard-working and thus scoring in the top 10% is no easy task. So, this realization has got me wondering whether or not I'll be able to be in the top 10% of my class and still have time to train and be competitive in the sport of my choice.

Basically, my 2 responsibilities will be studying and training/competing--no family or money issues to worry about. I'm just worried that studying and going to class will take up 100% of my awake time, especially if I want to be in the top 10%. Should I just give up my sport come medical school, and resume it during residency or something? Are my worries legitimate?

Members don't see this ad.

of course you can, but realize that you might be neglecting other things (friends, relaxation etc)

Sorry but if you plan on competing in a sport during med school, the very highest ranking you'll be able to achieve is 11%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, what Cash said, after all he's the the leading authority on everything worth knowing.

I wish to be in the top 10% of my medical school class. I am very intelligent, and a very hard-worker. However, I'm pretty sure the rest of my class is also very intelligent and hard-working and thus scoring in the top 10% is no easy task. So, this realization has got me wondering whether or not I'll be able to be in the top 10% of my class and still have time to train and be competitive in the sport of my choice.

Basically, my 2 responsibilities will be studying and training/competing--no family or money issues to worry about. I'm just worried that studying and going to class will take up 100% of my awake time, especially if I want to be in the top 10%. Should I just give up my sport come medical school, and resume it during residency or something? Are my worries legitimate?

Okay, maybe it's just me, but that sounds pretty damn cocky, even by premed standards. My guess, plenty of bright people bust their a$$, are just as smart, and fail to be in the top 10%, and some idiot savant type genius can play on a triple A baseball league and still be valedictorian.

If you stay in the top 10% you shouldn't do sports. Becuase people in the top 10% are constantly being stalked by gunners. And you wouldn't want a gunner to plan a sport accident to make you fail out of a class so they can be in the top 10% now would you?

[pj];6530789 said:
Yeah, what Cash said, after all he's the the leading authority on everything worth knowing.

Well said. I like your style.

Okay, maybe it's just me, but that sounds pretty damn cocky, even by premed standards. My guess, plenty of bright people bust their a$$, are just as smart, and fail to be in the top 10%, and some idiot savant type genius can play on a triple A baseball league and still be valedictorian.
I'm not trying to assert my superiority or anything. I'm just curious if I'll have free time to do the things I love during medical school and still manage to do well. I thought it would be helpful to note that I've been blessed with intelligence and strive for excellence in my studies and sports, in case that would have any effect on how much free time I'll have. I'm sure there's still a bunch of slackers in medical school.

I'd be fine with training maybe 5 days a week and entering a weekend tournament every now and then. Is this reasonable?

of course you can, but realize that you might be neglecting other things (friends, relaxation etc)
Sports = relaxation. Sitting at home trying to relax = stress and worry. At least for me.

I'm not trying to assert my superiority or anything. I'm just curious if I'll have free time to do the things I love during medical school and still manage to do well. I thought it would be helpful to note that I've been blessed with intelligence and strive for excellence in my studies and sports, in case that would have any effect on how much free time I'll have. I'm sure there's still a bunch of slackers in medical school.

I'd be fine with training maybe 5 days a week and entering a weekend tournament every now and then. Is this reasonable?

you strive for excellence, eh? ..and you're blessed w/ intelligence??...dayyuuuuummmmmmmmmm

sorry i just had to :laugh:

you strive for excellence, eh? ..and you're blessed w/ intelligence??...dayyuuuuummmmmmmmmm

sorry i just had to :laugh:
Yup. You make it sound like those two are incompatible!

No, it's just that you made yourself sound ridiculous.
Your always mean, what is your problem, you always have something critical to say about someones comments all the time

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, with balance and a little hard work, you can continue sports in med school.

Your always mean, what is your problem, you always have something critical to say about someones comments all the time
You use poor grammar.

Sorry, I know that is completely off-topic. Honestly though, it's hard to take someone seriously when they don't even use your/you're correctly.

Carry on.

You use poor grammar.

Sorry, I know that is completely off-topic. Honestly though, it's hard to take someone seriously when they don't even use your/you're correctly.

Carry on.
:confused:You are also mean. Who cares? This is a damn forum!! I am not in english composition class right now nor any class for that matter. For now on, I will carry myself correctly and intelligently sounding in every forum for you buddy. Some people...

:confused:You are also mean. Who cares? This is a damn forum!! I am not in english composition class right now nor any class for that matter. For now on, I will carry myself correctly and intelligently sounding in every forum for you buddy. Some people...

We don't ask that you do it for us, we ask that you do it for yourself. Does it actually not occur to you after typing the second to last sentence in your post that you really should want to carry yourself "correctly and intelligently" whenever possible?

No, it's just that you made yourself sound ridiculous.
What can I say? It's how I does it.

Seriously though, it was probably my mistake to ask a bunch of pre-meds who are too busy trying to aggrandize themselves through witty comments.

Seriously though, it was probably my mistake to ask a bunch of pre-meds who are too busy trying to aggrandize themselves through witty comments.

That does consume too much of my time, yes.

what is your sport?
Eh, I'd rather not. Although it's an Olympic sport, it's not very well known (like boxing or running, for example) so I'd be compromising my identity if I posted it here.

We don't ask that you do it for us, we ask that you do it for yourself. Does it actually not occur to you after typing the second to last sentence in your post that you really should want to carry yourself "correctly and intelligently" whenever possible?

OMG it was only that post and maybe a few others, but it is just a forum. I am usually a good writer. Also can you please put consideration that it is past 12:00 in the morning and I am kind of tired. Also, thanks I will try and work on always being perfect. Just to let you know there are many people "unlike you", who do not use punctuation, spelling, and good word usage through out SDN. I know my grammar was not correct by any means, but I didn't think a whole lot of people on here put much emphasis analyzing how sentences should go together.

The question is not whether you will have time to carry on with your hobby but whether you will want to. I imagine coming home from a grueling day, and still having to study on top of everything would leave you pretty worn out. The free time you get in medical school, is time you relax and keep yourself sane.

Good luck

And by the way you should ask this question in the allopathic forum, not the pre-allopathic forum, how do pre-meds really know what medical school will be like?

Rogerwilco

Oh, I forgot to put a question mark in my previous post just to let you know before I get a paper back with red ink all over it from you.

Rogerwilco

Oh, I forgot to put a question mark in my previous post just to let you know before I get a paper back with red ink all over it from you.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYQhxSvcGSE[/YOUTUBE]

The question is not whether you will have time to carry on with your hobby but whether you will want to. I imagine coming home from a grueling day, and still having to study on top of everything would leave you pretty worn out. The free time you get in medical school, is time you relax and keep yourself sane.

Good luck

And by the way you should ask this question in the allopathic forum, not the pre-allopathic forum, how do pre-meds really know what medical school will be like?

Good point. I guess I'll play it by ear and see when I get there. Although it would be nice, I'm not overly consumed with national or international rankings, especially during medical school. I just really enjoy the sport and want to integrate it into my life as much as I reasonably can...and it's looking like a couple of practices every week and a tournament every now and then during a weekend will be just fine for my purposes.

Oh, and I did not ask this in the allopathic forum because I am sure the mods will move it here, citing it's an "issue which concerns premeds."

If you stay in the top 10% you shouldn't do sports. Becuase people in the top 10% are constantly being stalked by gunners. And you wouldn't want a gunner to plan a sport accident to make you fail out of a class so they can be in the top 10% now would you?
I can imagine it now--the gunner who hits top students with Auburn-style chop blocks in ultimate frisbee, successfully shredding their knee ligaments. Click-clack!

Yes, you can. I may sound cocky and unrealistic but whatever. I learned this the hard way: just believe you can do it, do your very best and balance out everything. Many people will pull you back and push you down, but the thing is, you don't need to make them pull you back or push you down. You may not always succeed, but you always have the chance to if you just keep trying. You want something? Go get it. Keep your eyes on the goal, not on the hindrances on the way to get there...and learn.

And not denying that this is the real world, remember to listen to your heart, but let your head lead the way. Many great things seem unlikely to happen, but who knows? You can be the exception. :thumbup: You'll never know until you try...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can
go!" - T.S. Eliot

Okay...I'm done. :) I hope I helped.

oh god, i dont think anyone's doing any aggrandizing here...rogerwilco was just being nice enough to clarify what i was getting at..you should be thanking him instead of falsely accusing him :D ..he wasnt even trying to be witty-- just honest!

in all seriousness, i understand your concern..you dont wanna give up something that you've gotten attached to over the yrs..med school's gonna be busy, and your life's probably not gonna be over...however, the "busy" gauge varies for everyone..i know ppl that feel like they're dying through med school and ppl that are doing just fine ..you have to kind of guess where you'll be...as for me, i dont want to guess, at least for the next yr- im deferring to do something ive always wanted to do w/ my life...so maybe you should consider take a year or two off if it's something that's really important to you?..you havent really specified so im not sure if you're training for the olympics, or just trying to stay in shape to maybe run the 5K from time to time... to hopefully make you feel better, i've heard of ppl keeping up their hobbies in med school-- such as playing in a band, playing on city softball teams, etc...wish i had more examples but nothing else is coming to mind right now

oh god, i dont think anyone's doing any aggrandizing here...rogerwilco was just being nice enough to clarify what i was getting at..you should be thanking him instead of falsely accusing him :D ..he wasnt even trying to be witty-- just honest!

in all seriousness, i understand your concern..you dont wanna give up something that you've gotten attached to over the yrs..med school's gonna be busy, and your life's probably not gonna be over...however, the "busy" gauge varies for everyone..i know ppl that feel like they're dying through med school and ppl that are doing just fine ..you have to kind of guess where you'll be...as for me, i dont want to guess, at least for the next yr- im deferring to do something ive always wanted to do w/ my life...so maybe you should consider take a year or two off if it's something that's really important to you?..you havent really specified so im not sure if you're training for the olympics, or just trying to stay in shape to maybe run the 5K from time to time... to hopefully make you feel better, i've heard of ppl keeping up their hobbies in med school-- such as playing in a band, playing on city softball teams, etc...wish i had more examples but nothing else is coming to mind right now
Oh, I thought wilco said it but now I see it was you! :thumbdown: Thank you for the thoughtful advice, though. :)

You just didn't pose your question very eloquently. You said 10% four times! We get it, you're competetive.

Also, not only are you hard-working and intelligent, but you're "very" intelligent. Then you said it again on your very next post as if we'd had time to forget. Whether you were trying to assert your superiority or not, the post came off arrogant. The phrase "assert superiority" implies that you think you have superiority to assert.

You could have posted the same question, minus all the arrogance and would have gotten a better response.

On a side note, Double O-Virgil (if I may call you that), I'd really like to know what this identity compromising sport of yours is. It's really got to be something obscure if the mere mention of it lets people know who you are.

You just didn't pose your question very eloquently. You said 10% four times! We get it, you're competetive.

Also, not only are you hard-working and intelligent, but you're "very" intelligent. Then you said it again on your very next post as if we'd had time to forget. Whether you were trying to assert your superiority or not, the post came off arrogant. The phrase "assert superiority" implies that you think you have superiority to assert.

You could have posted the same question, minus all the arrogance and would have gotten a better response.

On a side note, Double O-Virgil (if I may call you that), I'd really like to know what this identity compromising sport of yours is. It's really got to be something obscure if there mere mention of it lets people know who you are.

Hammer toss! He's a hammer tosser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now we know who you are, and where you live. We're gonna getchya ! jk :laugh:

Hammer toss! He's a hammer tosser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now we know who you are, and where you live. We're gonna getchya ! jk :laugh:

"Click Click Boom"

or however it's done... :laugh:

I can imagine it now--the gunner who hits top students with Auburn-style chop blocks in ultimate frisbee, successfully shredding their knee ligaments. Click-clack!

lol.... yet I can somehow see it actually happening...

Also, landmines, talk about accurate and effective baby!!!! One of my favourites, errrrrrr

It is possible to find time for sports in medical school. It may be a little more difficult to be able to maintain a competitive level of fitness in that particular sport AND remain in the top 10% of your class, however.

If training for your sport takes 1-2 hours a day, 5x/week, then it's definitely possible during 1st and 2nd year, if you manage your time well. This probably will not hold true for exam weeks, though. Also, you have no idea how you will fare in medical school yet - some people work very, very hard and still can't break into the top 10%. this is something that you will not be able to gauge until you are actually in school and taking exams. You simply can't "plan" to be in the top 10% yet.

Now, if your sport of choice takes up too much time, of course something has got to give, and it will most likely be your grades. It's not easy to stay on top in med school - it's hard enough just to keep your head above water. If you are serious about doing that well in school, I would approach your first semester with the understanding that you may have to pare down your training schedule in order to compensate with more study time.

During 3rd and 4th year, depending on your rotation/site, your schedule will be much more erratic. There will be blocks where you may be able to train more regularly, and there will be other blocks when you may not be able to do much training at all. Be prepared to accept that.

Good luck.

Eh, I'd rather not. Although it's an Olympic sport, it's not very well known (like boxing or running, for example) so I'd be compromising my identity if I posted it here.

Ah, the sport of curling, I suspect. Curling is obscure, yet it is an Olympic sport and it has a small but rabid fan base. Yes, by all means, you can continue curling and also study medicine.

He must be the hammer toss-curling type for certain. People!!!!! Can you imagine the sporting potential of such an individual? If the hammer toss technique was used on the ice rink, it would be revolutionary, and change the very game we know so well.

He must be the hammer toss-curling type for certain. People!!!!! Can you imagine the sporting potential of such an individual? If the hammer toss technique was used on the ice rink, it would be revolutionary, and change the very game we know so well.

Yes, yes, you have a passioin for curling, I can tell. What a shame that curling is only televised every four years during the Olympics. I feel for those who live in areas that do not have local curling tournaments. I know that I need to get my curling fix on a regular basis or I find myself distracted, irritable, and unable to concentrate on my medical studies.

Of course, I am in awe of anyone who is nationally ranked in curling like the OP.

On a side note, Double O-Virgil (if I may call you that), I'd really like to know what this identity compromising sport of yours is. It's really got to be something obscure if the mere mention of it lets people know who you are.
Gee. I don't remember putting anyone down by "asserting my superiority." There's nothing wrong with being confident in yourself and your abilities, so long as you don't look down on others. In fact, I would submit that you're the arrogant one because of your eagerness to put me down and criticize my posts, and in doing so you have contributed absolutely nothing constructive to this discussion.

Again, I will not disclose my sport.

Yes, yes, you have a passioin for curling, I can tell. What a shame that curling is only televised every four years during the Olympics. I feel for those who live in areas that do not have local curling tournaments. I know that I need to get my curling fix on a regular basis or I find myself distracted, irritable, and unable to concentrate on my medical studies.

Of course, I am in awe of anyone who is nationally ranked in curling like the OP.
A shame, a shame indeed. I don't think you people understand the implications Virgil's technique will have on the game. He will be like Jordan to basketball, Gretzky to hockey, the Babe to baseball, like Jackson to boxing. It's a miracle!!!! When good ol' Virgil hits the scene all you haterz will be sorry.

[pj];6530789 said:

:laugh::laugh:

Gee. I don't remember putting anyone down by "asserting my superiority."

The fact that you down see how that would be oxymoronic worries me.

Just in case you don't see that, let me tell you what you just said:
"No damnit, I didn't say you were dumber, I'm just saying I'm smarter, duh!"

Gee. I don't remember putting anyone down by "asserting my superiority." There's nothing wrong with being confident in yourself and your abilities, so long as you don't look down on others. In fact, I would submit that you're the arrogant one because of your eagerness to put me down and criticize my posts, and in doing so you have contributed absolutely nothing constructive to this discussion.

Again, I will not disclose my sport.

The definition of superior means "of higher grade or quality." The word can't exist without something being inferior. I'd say calling someone inferior is looking down on them. There is a very distinct difference between confidence and arrogance. Sounds like you may have overestimated your "superior" intelligence a bit.

I'd also like to remind you that you said this:

What are some practical steps I can take to improve my work ethic and study even though I hate studying with a passion? I hate studying so much that I can't even force myself to open up the book and get started until it's the day before the test. To me, studying is a painful process that requires a lot of time (opportunity cost: I could be having fun with friends or doing something else) and mental strain--it's frustrating when you can't get a concept and keep getting practice problems wrong. PLEASE HELP!!!

And you want to be in the top 10%? I'd worry about getting in first smart guy.

You would think that someone as arrogant as yourself would want the whole world to know what special little sport you play...

Good lord, how did I miss this gem?

These things make me feel like I'm carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders:

-The desire for an upwards trend in GPA.
-The desire to do well on the MCAT.
-The desire to go to a competitive school to help my chances of matching into my choice specialty.
-Worrying about the competition. If I'm only hovering at the 50th percentile in an undergrad biochem class, I will be screwed come medical school.
-Feeling miserable about myself because I know I have the intelligence but my horrible work ethic is holding me back.

Don't think that I didn't notice that you called yourself intelligent again at the end there. :laugh:

i like the combo of ego stroking, sarcasm, and boohoo-he's-being-mean-to-me that's going on here.

Good lord, how did I miss this gem?

Don't think that I didn't notice that you called yourself intelligent again at the end there. :laugh:

Nice catch. So back then, his "horrible work ethic" was holding him back, but today he has become "a very hard-worker". Well, that's the kind of turnaround that should set him up for matching into his choice of specialty while he is practicing his mystery sport and staying in the top 10% of his class...

Just to re-iterate, while its fine to have your goal to be in the top 10% of your class (although I would not tell anyone this); don't assume it will happen.