How do medical schools check hobbies listed on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nevermore1

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am now an accepted student at an US medical school. In my AMCAS application, I listed free-diving as a hobby and mentioned I am a certified free-diver, but I was not certified until one week after I submitted the application. Before being certified, I mostly free-dived without certificate when i went on a boat trip with friends.

After reading threads about EC verification, I realized that I failed to delineate completed and future involvement. My intention here was not to lie, because I signed up for the free-diving certificate course/exam before submitting my application, and the end date of this hobby I put on AMCAS is months after date of submission. I am not sure if this will raise a red flag in case the medical school checks my hobby.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am now an accepted student at an US medical school. In my AMCAS application, I listed free-diving as a hobby and mentioned I am a certified free-diver, but I was not certified until one week after I submitted the application. Before being certified, I mostly free-dived without certificate when i went on a boat trip with friends.

After reading threads about EC verification, I realized that I failed to delineate completed and future involvement. My intention here was not to lie, because I signed up for the free-diving certificate course/exam before submitting my application, and the end date of this hobby I put on AMCAS is months after date of submission. I am not sure if this will raise a red flag in case the medical school checks my hobby.
There is no Contact required for Hobbies because they are not checked on. Hours aren't important for leisure-time activities.
 
I am now an accepted student at an US medical school. In my AMCAS application, I listed free-diving as a hobby and mentioned I am a certified free-diver, but I was not certified until one week after I submitted the application. Before being certified, I mostly free-dived without certificate when i went on a boat trip with friends.

After reading threads about EC verification, I realized that I failed to delineate completed and future involvement. My intention here was not to lie, because I signed up for the free-diving certificate course/exam before submitting my application, and the end date of this hobby I put on AMCAS is months after date of submission. I am not sure if this will raise a red flag in case the medical school checks my hobby.
Nobody checks on hobbies.

They do have value as part of an application. The wise LizzyM has written about this many times in these fora. Mainly, they show that you're a human being with interests.

They CAN valuable for for interviews. Not getting interviews, but during them. I find that they're great fodder for interview questions, and you actually might be paired with an interviewer who has the same interests, and end up spending 30 mins talking about, well, free-diving!