How do medical schools check hobbies listed on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nevermore1

Reaction score
I am now an accepted student at an US medical school. In my AMCAS application, I listed free-diving as a hobby and mentioned I am a certified free-diver, but I was not certified until one week after I submitted the application. Before being certified, I mostly free-dived without certificate when i went on a boat trip with friends.

After reading threads about EC verification, I realized that I failed to delineate completed and future involvement. My intention here was not to lie, because I signed up for the free-diving certificate course/exam before submitting my application, and the end date of this hobby I put on AMCAS is months after date of submission. I am not sure if this will raise a red flag in case the medical school checks my hobby.

Members don't see this ad.

Paranoia will destroy ya.

Seriously, no one will know, or much less care.

Reactions: 6 users
Med school admissions have 500 better things to do than to cross reference your free diving certification. Take a deep breath, relax, and celebrate your med school acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am now an accepted student at an US medical school. In my AMCAS application, I listed free-diving as a hobby and mentioned I am a certified free-diver, but I was not certified until one week after I submitted the application. Before being certified, I mostly free-dived without certificate when i went on a boat trip with friends.

After reading threads about EC verification, I realized that I failed to delineate completed and future involvement. My intention here was not to lie, because I signed up for the free-diving certificate course/exam before submitting my application, and the end date of this hobby I put on AMCAS is months after date of submission. I am not sure if this will raise a red flag in case the medical school checks my hobby.
There is no Contact required for Hobbies because they are not checked on. Hours aren't important for leisure-time activities.

Reactions: 2 users
In the big scheme of things, your listed hobbies are basically going to be a zero in terms of importance. I highly doubt anyone has the time to "verify" them, though you might come across someone at an institution that shares one of your interests, and if you're not being truthful, that might be quite obvious.

Nobody checks on hobbies.

They do have value as part of an application. The wise LizzyM has written about this many times in these fora. Mainly, they show that you're a human being with interests.

They CAN valuable for for interviews. Not getting interviews, but during them. I find that they're great fodder for interview questions, and you actually might be paired with an interviewer who has the same interests, and end up spending 30 mins talking about, well, free-diving!

Reactions: 1 user