Time for some Movie recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Check out the Sci-Fi channel mini series for Dune and Children of Dune (which covers Dune Messiah and Children of Dune).
they were horrible

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Person of interest

Long series, but I watched all

Jim Caviezel is super handsome

Primal Fear
Contact
The Village
The Count of Monte Christo

Man in the High Castle (series)

Want to check out Greatest Showman

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw Bird Box pretty much just to understand the memes. It’s unique, but lacks depth IMO.

It’s really weird when you pair that with Miss Congeniality, both 1 and 2 are on Prime Video.

... I’ll see myself out.

For those with kids - Moana is fantastic, as is the music.

Primal Fear
Contact
The Village
The Count of Monte Christo

Man in the High Castle (series)

Want to check out Greatest Showman

The Village???? M. Night shot his load on the sixth sense and that was all she wrote imo

2 underappreciated all-time greats that you have a good chance of missing the first time around:

Gattaca- near future tale about two brothers, making your own destiny, dna manipulation
Prestige- Nolan movie about two magicians and revenge

Rewatching old personal fav's with your kids and watching them like it too is pretty cool. I'll have to check out Polar this week.

Snowpiercer was better than expected.
Ballad of Buster Scruggs was pretty diff/good.
Shot Caller was the first to come to mind tho

Equilibrium

Good Christian Bale dystopian future matrix-esque flick.

Reactions: 1 users
Equilibrium

Good Christian Bale dystopian future matrix-esque flick.

I like really those dystopian type flicks.

Was “Ready player one” any good?

I hear the books are fantastic.

Ready player one was actually pretty good. Didn’t expect much goin in, but I liked it. I’d watch it again.

The Village???? M. Night shot his load on the sixth sense and that was all she wrote imo
I liked the village. And signs.

But agree—it then got worse. Much worse. I watched the happening in theater and by the end, almost killed myself like everyone in the movie does

Members don't see this ad :)
HBO and Showtime are clutch for anyone taking in house call. Required viewing includes the wire, sopranos, deadwood, Rome, game of thrones, westworld, band of brothers, boardwalk empire, silicon valley, curb, homeland, billions, shameless, ray donovan

I have a current rotation of The Office, Parks and Rec, Black-ish, and Fresh Off The Boat. Recently just started re-watching My Name Is Earl on Hulu.

The Ted Bundy doc on Netflix was creepy. I'm working my way through Mindhunter and anxiously waiting for the next season of the The Crown.

I also got fascinated by a couple sports documentaries. The first was on Amazon Prime called All or Nothing: Manchester City which documented their winning season in the Premier League which complimented well with Sunderland: Til I Die on Netflix which documented them being relegated from Premier League and then again being relegated in the English Championship League. It was just interesting to see one team with the riches of a middle eastern billionaire versus a team would couldn't afford a decent striker during the transfer window. I really hit home why the top 6 teams in Premier League are always good and the bad team are always bad.

Edit: Oh, and a new season of The Grand Tour just started and a new series of Top Gear is coming soon.

yeah, RPO is not bad; decently entertaining and better than the reviews indicate anyway. Agree Equilibrium is also good. There aren't too many good dysoptian movies coming out these days - it's mostly that Divergent and Maze Runner type junk. If you like dystopia, I've always thought the Book of Eli is under-rated and definitely worth a watch (if you decide to, go into it knowing nothing about it) and of course The Road with Viggo Mortensen is great. As others have indicated, you may enjoy Snowpiercer with a surprisingly strong cast.
And you've probably already seen it cuz it's a bit older, but District 9!

yeah, RPO is not bad; decently entertaining and better than the reviews indicate anyway. Agree Equilibrium is also good. There aren't too many good dysoptian movies coming out these days - it's mostly that Divergent and Maze Runner type junk. If you like dystopia, I've always thought the Book of Eli is under-rated and definitely worth a watch (if you decide to, go into it knowing nothing about it) and of course The Road with Viggo Mortensen is great. As others have indicated, you may enjoy Snowpiercer with a surprisingly strong cast.
And you've probably already seen it cuz it's a bit older, but District 9!
District 9 was cool, wasn't a huge fan of his other movie Chappie

Apocalypto. Groundhogs day. Mars attacks! Total recall. Event horizon

FIFTH ELEMENT

+1 for Book of Eli, Equilibrium, District 9 and ReadyPlayerOne (although the book had great ideas, it felt written by a high schooler). Also Signs, Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow.

Anyone that likes a comedy series should give Arrested Development a run if you didn't catch it before (but skip the last season). Game of Thrones was amazing but the books were too!

In terms of dystopian, The Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu is worth watching. I have not watched past season two because that is where the book’s story finishes. The lead actress (from Mad Men) is very good in it.

What is the problem?
Nothing. Just found it funny that you included that in the review. Plus I wouldn't categorize him as (super) handsome, but I am a guy. :)

P.S. Should have put a smiley after the previous post, too.

I see a lot of movies but nothing really worth recommending recently. So many super hero movies lately that seem like the same movie over and over again.

Good shows:
Peaky Blinders
The Americans
The Handmaid’s Tale
Homeland
Master of None
Game of Thrones
The Last Kingdom
Narcos
Narcos: Mexico (not as good but still pretty good)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, guys I can only watch so much TV. Also the rule was within the last 5 years

I"m not sure if it was already mention, but I heard "Vice" is really good. I also really liked "Hell of High Water" from a couple years ago. My favorite Oscar nominated movies that I can watch over and over from the last 5 years are The Martian, HIdden Figures, and The Grand Budapest Hotel.

I like angsty coming of age movies so...

My life as a dog
Boyhood
Stand by me
Dead poets society
Moonlight
Ladybird

Also every single Werner Herzog documentary.

I also got fascinated by a couple sports documentaries. The first was on Amazon Prime called All or Nothing: Manchester City which documented their winning season in the Premier League which complimented well with Sunderland: Til I Die on Netflix which documented them being relegated from Premier League and then again being relegated in the English Championship League. It was just interesting to see one team with the riches of a middle eastern billionaire versus a team would couldn't afford a decent striker during the transfer window. I really hit home why the top 6 teams in Premier League are always good and the bad team are always bad.

The EPL needs an NFL-style salary cap.

I grew up in the SF Bay Area and for all the pain I endured watching the salary cap absolutely destroy the 49er dynasty in the 90s, the salary cap fixed that exact problem, and the league has been worlds better for it. The fact that Brady and the other wankers in New England have achieved what they have is all the more impressive given that they did it with the salary cap constraints.

It's superb. I'm catching up on S3 now. Back when it looked like it was going to get cancelled, I fell into a Firefly-esque fit of ragedespair.

I loved firefly!

I'll be in my bunk

Reactions: 2 users
I like angsty coming of age movies so...

My life as a dog
Boyhood
Stand by me
Dead poets society
Moonlight
Ladybird

Also every single Werner Herzog documentary.
+100 Dead Poets Society (one of Robin Williams's best). And The Emperor's Club (one of Kevin Kline's best).

I have just watched Bohemian Rhapsody. Well-deserved 8.2 on IMDB.

Jus watched Something the lord made, it’s on HBO, great movie, a lot of history behind the BT shunt.

Watched A Simple Favor last night. Wife’s pick. Started out pretty good. Then got real good in the middle. Then got real fuggin’ stupid at the end. Overall I’d say watch it, but turn it off with about 12mins left. It’s a much better movie that way.

As a bonus, there is some Blake Lively partial nudity - so it’s got that goin’ for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Watched A Simple Favor last night. Wife’s pick. Started out pretty good. Then got real good in the middle. Then got real fuggin’ stupid at the end. Overall I’d say watch it, but turn it off with about 12mins left. It’s a much better movie that way.

As a bonus, there is some Blake Lively partial nudity - so it’s got that goin’ for it.

well if you're going to start recommending blake lively movies in which shes scantily clad, the Shallows is probably much better and really pretty entertaining.

well if you're going to start recommending blake lively movies in which shes scantily clad, the Shallows is probably much better and really pretty entertaining.

I’ll give you the scantily clad part, but everything else about that movie is an abortion.

Watched Alita a few days ago.
Meh... expected a little more... a little blah. Watch it at home.
Set up for a sequel.

So, we've been watching a crap ton of movies lately. 2-3 in a row the last couple of weekends.

It's been a nice way to put the brain on ice for a while. I've been out of the movie scene except for the DC and Marvel movies which I am a big fan of.

Recently we watched "POLAR" on Netflix.

Faaking awesome.

It's like Trainspotting AND Mission impossible AND Lock, stock and two smoking barrels all in one.
Brilliant movie.

If you haven't seen it. Watch it tonight.

So... recommend us some good stuff that has come out in the last 5 years (action/funny/horror/superhero type movies... just no cuddly stuff)?
Watched it at SDN’s recommendation. It wasn’t good. It was actually bad. Pretty bad.

I should have known better coming from you guys.

Reactions: 4 users
Watched it at SDN’s recommendation. It wasn’t good. It was actually bad. Pretty bad.

I should have known better coming from you guys.
Lol I watched it too based on what these guys said. I liked it. Not the best but entertaining.
I was weirded out a bit by his Bond-like romances with women though. Just didn’t fit the bill with his character. Boobs are cool though

Lol I watched it too based on what these guys said. I liked it. Not the best but entertaining.
I was weirded out a bit by his Bond-like romances with women though. Just didn’t fit the bill with his character. Boobs are cool though

And no way that dog is $50.

I started watching The Expanse based on recommendations here and I am hooked. I am almost through the first season. It’s slow through the first few episodes as they do some world-building and introduce a bunch of characters, but after that it’s great.

Someone asked for dystopian. Anyone mention Altered Carbon yet? It's on Netflix. Not for the easily offended. Lots of violence and lots of nudity. Cool story. Edgar Allan Poe is the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users