Time frame needed before starting work at CVS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2012PharmDgrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, as many of you have probably seen from my other thread titled "Finally....have an interview after 5 months", the hiring manager at CVS offered me a position on Thursday. However, this was a verbal offer and she asked me to submit an official application for the position online at cvs.com and explained that I should be expecting an official offer letter and other forms of communication in the coming days. I should expect a background check to be run as well as a urine drug screen. I asked her on Friday at what store I would be working at since I will not be a floater and she was thinking of placing me in the store where I had my interview. She said she will be in touch. The problem is it's been 5 days and I haven't heard anything yet. She asked me if I will be available for the holidays and I said yes because I am not planning on doing any travel. Why haven't I heard back and/or what is taking so long? She did say the company was updating the application process online, but I'm not sure if that's it. I'm pretty impatient and just want to start working already. Apparently, I will be having Christmas eve and day off because I haven't had any type of communication with anyone and the holidays are less than a week away. I doubt she will call me to start training on Christmas eve/day. I realize the significance of an official offer letter, but I have nothing yet except her word. Further, I could call her and find out what the time frame is, but I'd rather not for fear of becoming a pest. Thoughts? Should I have reason for concern or am I just paranoid?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was hired by CVS (pharmacy intern position) it took around three weeks before I was able to start training, and I was on top of everything and did it all as speedily as I could. I have heard of people that took over a month. I would not panic just yet. The holidays are nearly here and I am sure that is slowing down the whole process as people who must sign off on this and that are potentially on vacation. I would wait a few more days and then just drop her an email or phone call following up and asking if there is anything else you need to do/provide at this time regarding the position.

Members don't see this ad :)
They have a new application system. I was sent an email last week to go online and fill out the application. Once that was complete, I sent him an email letting him know and the next day I had an offer letter.

Here is the link to fill out the application.

http://www.ibelongatcvscaremark.com/

HTH

They have a new application system. I was sent an email last week to go online and fill out the application. Once that was complete, I sent him an email letting him know and the next day I had an offer letter.

Here is the link to fill out the application.

http://www.ibelongatcvscaremark.com/

HTH

Tootoo, that's exactly what I heard, a new application system. Thanks for the link!

I decided to email my DM this morning at 11:30 and it is currently 4:06 pm. I have not received a response, and honestly feel a little impatient. I am tempted to just call her because I believe one week is a reasonable time to wait before receiving follow-up on what comes next. I don't feel completely cleared and safe without an official offer letter and before I receive that, I must go for a urine drug screen. I hope all of this works out.

I hope it works out for you also. My offer letter was months late, but the situation is different (I was already an intern/employee with them). But honestly I don't think you should worry, sometimes these things take time.

I hope it works out for you also. My offer letter was months late, but the situation is different (I was already an intern/employee with them). But honestly I don't think you should worry, sometimes these things take time.

Yes, I probably don't have to be worried, but I am definitely excited and dying to start training and working. I gave in a few minutes ago and called her, but to my surprise, she was not in her office this time and I was directed to her voice mail. I identified myself and let her know I sent her an email this morning and that I wanted an update on my status because it has been nearly a week since she provided me with a verbal job offer and I have not heard anything back from HR or anyone else concerning urine drug screening and all the paperwork requirements. I provided my contact information and wished her a happy holiday and stated I was looking forward to starting work ASAP. My email and voice message were both courteous and professional. She might think I'm a little impatient and I probably am, but cut me some slack, I graduated in May and have been licensed since the first week of August- of course, I'm dying to start my professional life. Oh, well, on the bright side, it seems to be I'll have the holidays off! :laugh:

I decided to email my DM this morning at 11:30 and it is currently 4:06 pm. I have not received a response, and honestly feel a little impatient. I am tempted to just call her because I believe one week is a reasonable time to wait before receiving follow-up on what comes next. I don't feel completely cleared and safe without an official offer letter and before I receive that, I must go for a urine drug screen. I hope all of this works out.

Look on the bright side: if you don't hear back, then you won't work for CVS. Not so bad.

Hiring can take a long time. Remember, the DM has more to do than just take care of your job. I know it's hard, but I would not press the issue too much, lest you annoy her out of hiring you.

I have had jobs before where it took weeks to months to just get things going. Relax and enjoy the holidays.

Hiring can take a long time. Remember, the DM has more to do than just take care of your job. I know it's hard, but I would not press the issue too much, lest you annoy her out of hiring you.

I have had jobs before where it took weeks to months to just get things going. Relax and enjoy the holidays.

I understand this, but she did ask me if I would be available for the holidays and made it appear as if I will start working very soon. I told her I would be available, as I will not be visiting family out-of-state this year if I will begin working soon. Hell, I should have simply told her I will be going away for the holidays if I had known how long this would take. Friends of mine who work for CVS have told me if she gave me a verbal offer last week, I should at least be hearing something by now regarding the next steps and it shouldn't take months to proceed. I just started renting a place down here with the idea that I will begin working within the next two weeks and make money and now I find I may have to struggle financially without income for a few more months before I can start working? I'm sorry, but it's absurd in a way. The least that could happen by now is to receive some sort of written communication from the company. I called corporate in RI and the person advised that in addition to sending out an e-mail, call the DM for follow-up purposes- I did just that. They are keeping me on my toes and I'm not enjoying this. :scared:

Last edited:
The woman on Long Island that does the offer letters (for my area, anyway) might take vacation this time of year I think. A similar thing happened to me in December 2010. My sup wanted me to start ASAP, but the lady took vacation the week before Xmas. I didn't actually start until the second week of January.

Members don't see this ad :)

I received an offer letter without a urine test.

Contrary to the pessimism "New Bee" and "Sno Pharm" alluded to in their posts, I have good news: The DM contacted me tonight and apologized for not having the opportunity to answer my email promptly, as she was away on vacation for the holidays, as I suspected. She confirmed the job offer and informed me the company will be sending me an email with all the necessary information by tomorrow or Friday. I guess when "new bee" does not hear back right away from an employer in the future, I should be an ***hole myself and discourage him/her by saying the company will not make contact even after giving a verbal job offer. What a POS and a downer/naysayer. Must be an envious pharmacy student graduating now in 2013 or future years who is too scared of finding himself without a job. Thank you everyone else for your help and kind comments and happy 2013!!!

Newbee was justing trying to temper your enthusiasm a bit. CVS is a _ _ itty company to work for. You will realize this after about 1 to 2 years. You can then use them as a stepping stone to a better job however.

Contrary to the pessimism "New Bee" and "Sno Pharm" alluded to in their posts, I have good news: The DM contacted me tonight and apologized for not having the opportunity to answer my email promptly, as she was away on vacation for the holidays, as I suspected. She confirmed the job offer and informed me the company will be sending me an email with all the necessary information by tomorrow or Friday. I guess when "new bee" does not hear back right away from an employer in the future, I should be an ***hole myself and discourage him/her by saying the company will not make contact even after giving a verbal job offer. What a POS and a downer/naysayer. Must be an envious pharmacy student graduating now in 2013 or future years who is too scared of finding himself without a job. Thank you everyone else for your help and kind comments and happy 2013!!!

Are you serious? You'd better get that ego of yours in check soon...or your customers, store manager, and DM are going to do it for you. :(

Are you serious? You'd better get that ego of yours in check soon...or your customers, store manager, and DM are going to do it for you. :(

297, I appreciate your advice, but trust me, it's not my ego. It is simply rude and a way of bringing the person down when being negative and referring to the possibility that a hiring manager would provide me with a verbal job offer and then disappear. I did not appreciate that, especially when everyone else responding encouraged me not to worry and reminded me that the hiring process may take time or may be delayed because of the holidays. I'll give you some credit- my response was a bit harsh- but he did strike a nerve, especially after finding a job has been a battle, specifically in my location of choice, ever since I was licensed in August. The least he/she could have done is have some understanding of my genuine concern after not hearing back in time instead of planting a seed of doubt in my mind.

And trust me- it's very easy these days to plant a seed of doubt because the market is on the employer's side and they are not obligated to stick to their word: A manager can just as easily walk away and vanish even after offering a job, especially if the person has not received an official offer letter. I have heard of this situation occurring, but do not appreciate that it was his first thought. But anyway, everything's pretty good now. :thumbup::

Newbee was justing trying to temper your enthusiasm a bit. CVS is a _ _ itty company to work for. You will realize this after about 1 to 2 years. You can then use them as a stepping stone to a better job however.

This may be true about CVS and call me naive, but I happen to believe that regardless of the employer, some people actually like working for the company. I think one's perception of CVS depends on whether you are comfortable with your duties and genuinely like your job. There are people who absolutely loathe CVS, others who are somewhere in the middle, and those who love it. Hopefully, I will be somewhere in the middle and not love it or hate it. Who knows...maybe I'll be one of the rare individuals who loves the job. Only time will tell.

By the way, why has CVS attained such notoriety? It seems to be that everyone's always complaining about CVS, but I don't hear nearly as many complaints about Walgreens. Is Walgreens somehow less stressful, more manageable, and a more reputable company? I thought the general consensus is that CVS/Wags are the worst chains to work for and that Target, Publix (in the south), and Costco are the best. If Wags is just as bad as CVS, why is the attention always on the latter?

Yes, Unchained has hit the nail on the head. More people probably work for the company just from the mere fact that around these parts it is a revolving door. I know tons of people who have already left the company after a month or two.

Yes, Unchained has hit the nail on the head. More people probably work for the company just from the mere fact that around these parts it is a revolving door. I know tons of people who have already left the company after a month or two.

Angela, why do you think CVS is so terrible? What makes it so terrible? The company may have horrible publicity, but what it makes it apparently worse than Walgreens or other chains? Is it the metrics that one must meet? I believe other chains have such metrics as well. As I posted elsewhere, I never hear awful things about Walgreens. Everything is CVS...

I am in my last year of pharmacy school. I started with CVS during June of 2012 as an intern, working part time, outside of rotations.

I have not yet been offered a position.

Anyone have any idea why?

I am in my last year of pharmacy school. I started with CVS during June of 2012 as an intern, working part time, outside of rotations.

Have you expressed to your supervisor your desire to continue with the company? Are you good at your job? Is your area super saturated?

Have you expressed to your supervisor your desire to continue with the company? Are you good at your job? Is your area super saturated?

1. I did express interest back in the summer. Honestly though, not sure I actually want to- just kind of wanted the offer lol. I'm going for something more clinical.

2. Good at my job, not great though like people who have been with the company for many years.

3. Area not saturated, many classmates got offers.

1. I did express interest back in the summer. Honestly though, not sure I actually want to- just kind of wanted the offer lol. I'm going for something more clinical.

2. Good at my job, not great though like people who have been with the company for many years.

Then I guess they don't want you.

Not a good sign if they aren't willing to hire an internal candidate over your classmates.

Do people really get offers after being with a company for only 6 months? Factoring you only worked between rotations you probably only finished training a few months ago.

I don't think they can gauge your capabilities and work ethic in that short of time.

Were those classmates who got offers with CVS for 6 months as well?

Do people really get offers after being with a company for only 6 months? Factoring you only worked between rotations you probably only finished training a few months ago.

I don't think they can gauge your capabilities and work ethic in that short of time.

Were those classmates who got offers with CVS for 6 months as well?

No....they were all there for at least 2+ years.

You might be right...