Time Issues on PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Z

zimmie256

So I'm getting around 9-10 on the physical sciences practice tests. I realized that my major issue is that I run out of time, and start flying through everything without really thinking it through. First half of the section I'll get 90% or more right, but I spend too much time doing it. Then I just choke. But it seems like if I try and move faster throughout the test, I can't get better than like 60-70% right... Anybody else out there struggling with this? Or anybody have advice on how to deal with it? Odds are, the only answer is practice, practice, practice... but only 2.5 weeks left!!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

zimmie256 said:
So I'm getting around 9-10 on the physical sciences practice tests. I realized that my major issue is that I run out of time, and start flying through everything without really thinking it through. First half of the section I'll get 90% or more right, but I spend too much time doing it. Then I just choke. But it seems like if I try and move faster throughout the test, I can't get better than like 60-70% right... Anybody else out there struggling with this? Or anybody have advice on how to deal with it? Odds are, the only answer is practice, practice, practice... but only 2.5 weeks left!!! :eek:

Same problem here... like you said, just keep practicing and try Kaplans method of keeping track of time. Allow yourself a certain amount of time per triad of passages. This way you account for those passages that take a little longer and those that you can work through faster.

My problem is I need to learn how to "let it go." Sometimes I get in this zone where I have to solve a certain problem because I know I know it. lol, but it takes me too long to do so. It is a huge issue with me... maybe even a mental problem. :laugh:

I definitely can relate...I started a thread similiar to yours asking for advice on how to increase my physics speed or for some timing techniques. Many people surprisingly told me to not read the passages. I thought it was weird at first, but started trying it. Of course, there are techniques to this method as well. I can actually finish the passages now and still do well without reading all the material. It took lots of practice though, for me at least. I'm not sure that I would advise you to completely change your technique this late in the game. But if it does help and you can do it then more power to ya! Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
in the ps section and on the bs section for that matter, i rarely read the passages. i look at the figures and equations. the only time i read the passage first is when it is one exp vs. another. i go right to the question, and if need be i read the passage.

Somebody told me about this a while ago and I tried it on a Kaplan FL. I personally do not recommend this. This is just one example of what happened to me when I did so...

It was a physics passage and I looked at the pic and skimmed through the paragraph then I went straight to the questions. To solve two of the problems you needed the voltage. They were simple plug and chug problems (you know V = IR). Well, for some reason I got them wrong??? Then when I was looking over the exam it said in the paragraph it was a step up 1:50 transformer. ugh!!!

Maybe this still works for some people, but not me!

Kaplan FLs I always have a hard time finishing the PS section. On AAMC tests, I usually only have a few questions left. SKIM the AAMC passages. They usually are pretty straight forward. By skimming, it lets you know if there's something important in there you need to focus on. Plus, it gives you more time to solve problems and not read passages.
Good luck!

kpatel said:
in the ps section and on the bs section for that matter, i rarely read the passages. i look at the figures and equations. the only time i read the passage first is when it is one exp vs. another. i go right to the question, and if need be i read the passage.
While this may work for some people, and works like magic for the sat's, i found that for me reading and understanding the passage first worked much better. you can answer the questions in like a matter of a few seconds (if you actually understood what was said) versus going back and forth from question to passage and only half understanding what is going on. I think looking at the questions first can give you an idea of what to look for, but sometimes you dont pay attention to indirect details that make the question easier to answer. on the other hand if i see the passage is a topic i am weak with, i'll skip it and do something i do understand.

zimmie256 said:

I'm having the exact same problem as you. :( Sounds like skimming would be the way to go esp when the passage is yapping abt explaining already familiar equations. Good luck to you.

I don't find "skimming" to be adequate enough on the recent AAMC exams. for Kaplan yes, AAMC no. Since AAMC will resemble what we see on the 22nd, I'll put more stock into my AAMC testing experiences.

Anyway, the PS questions from AAMC require more reasoning based on what was said in the passage.

I don't see what's this deal with skimming. Most PS can be read in under a minute. So read the bloody passages; losing 10-15 minutes in reading for comprehension is way better than wasting 30 minutes in confusion and missing a dozen questions that can be answered easily by passage information.

My method is to do all the independent questions first, then I'd divide whatever time is left (usually 80-90 minutes) evenly among the passages. I try not to go over 7-8 minutes per passage and I always keep track of loss or gain in time if I go over/under the allotted time frame. I've never ran out of time doing this.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I think I might be doing an unhappy medium. Meaning I'm doing more than skimming, but not really reading closely enough to understand the passage. So I end up having wasted some time without gaining enough understanding. I'll probably try spending more time on the passages for my remaining practice. Any other advice is appreciated... Thanks again!

zimmie256 said:
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I think I might be doing an unhappy medium. Meaning I'm doing more than skimming, but not really reading closely enough to understand the passage. So I end up having wasted some time without gaining enough understanding. I'll probably try spending more time on the passages for my remaining practice. Any other advice is appreciated... Thanks again!

my suggestion for information passages is to read the passage relatively quickly, not necessarily absorbing every detail, but when something comes along that seems important (like the 1:50 transformer mentioned in a previous post), i underline it. that way, i can usually find it relatively quickly if i need to go back to the passage.

with experiment passages (i.e. expt A was this one, expt B was this other one), just get the gist of the difference(s) between the 2 experiments or theories.