USMLE/COMLEX Time Management Study Techniques

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMastermind

Host, Med School Podcast
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The MasterMind Study Approach

The MasterMind Study Approach has a few premises that you need to know up front:

1. Your end goal is what's most important, assuming academic integrity, and developing and reminding yourself of your life vision can be helpful
  2. Inflated egos and refusal to accept help are barriers to outstanding success (MasterMind Principle)
  3. We believe it is possible to predict your performance on an exam, in advance enough to make changes to your study techniques
  4. Bad test grades and unsatisfactory performances are NOT YOUR FAULT, they are the result of using the wrong study techniques in that situation OR not following Premise number 3 (above)
  5. The individual student is limited to his/her own experience and insight, but a MasterMind group multiplies the life experience resulting in a full-color palate of Study Technique choices to try out​
Aren't learning preferences hard-wired?

No.

So called "innate" learning styles have been demonstrated to change rapidly in medical students, and can change more than once. This certainly meshes with my experience in observing and interviewing medical students over the years.

If the literature did not mesh with what's really happening in medical schools, then it would be worthless.
"Would you believe me if I told you that organizing your study plan can actually be fun?"

Remember when you fell in love with the ‘idea of' medicine, taking care of patients and helping people?
It's sad that tests and academic performance can suck the life, or at least the enjoyment of realizing our dream, out of so many students.
The MasterMind Study Approach

The Study Techniques Course I teach has been synthesized from interviews with hundreds of medical students, USMLE & MCAT teachers, and physicians. I blended my own unique teaching style into a step-by-step Custom Study Plan system that will help you.
"I guarantee it."

An overview of the steps I use are as follows:

1. Speed Reading 101 & 102 primer course
  2. Innate learning style identification
  3. Classification of material
  4. The Study Techniques palate
  5. Matching correct Study Techniques in different environments
  6. The Feedback Loop
  7. Test-Taking Strategies: in partnership with Princeton Review
If I had to choose a favorite, it would be number 6, the Feedback Loop. So many students never adequately assess their retention 1-2 weeks before an exam, thereby leaving themselves enough time to adjust their Study Techniques in time to make a difference.
"But you will be different; and never study the same way again."

Sound like hype?
I challenge you to go through all of my Study Techniques and Test-Taking Strategies training and see for yourself.

Absolutely NO ONE has ever complained about this program and that's saying a lot in this era of cyber-spamming.

The only caveat I have is that you still have to work hard like you did before. If you're a pre-med, you'll definitely have more time for social interests. If you're in the first year of medical school, or are pursuing a competitive specialty and need extremely high grades throughout medical school, then this program will make your more organized, boost your confidence, and give you a wealth of study ideas with which to play when, not if, you get burned out.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: