Time Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinguinKinder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

How do you devide your time when you have to work on dissertation, write articles, see families, apply for post-docs etc..

I am driving myself nuts and I seem to lose focus of my priority (graduate).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

How do you devide your time when you have to work on dissertation, write articles, see families, apply for post-docs etc..

Just sleep less. Then, plan on REM rebound between the ages of 40-43.

Hi!

#1 priority is graduating so you need to focus on the dissertation and completing internship for the year. Family time and publishing articles may have to be temporarily put on hold. You can't get a post-doc without having your dissertation completed so focus on that. Also, ask your internship director if you can work on dissertation for a few hours per week on internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Err, I'm going to disagree a little.

Yes, your number one priority should be graduating - but unless you have exactly 0% intention of going into academia, you shouldn't put publishing articles on hold. Also, I think by seeing families they meant family therapy, not seeing their own family.

Your number one priority should definitely be finishing the dissertation, but I think #2 should be publishing articles. Your publication record is going to be really important in getting a position as a professor, if that's your goal. (If you want to set up a practice - then that's different. But even clinical positions at hospitals and clinics would like to see a publication record.

I think you just have to set a really strict schedule for yourself, and follow it. Get a calendaring program and give yourself blocks of time to do such and such tasks. You do need to allow yourself some relaxation/free time, too, because it won't be healthy or possible for you to finish with at least a little downtime.

Hi! Thanks everyone for responses.

To the last poster, yes, I have strong intentions about going into academia. I spoke to my advisor about applying for post-docs in the Fall, but I was told to wait until January or so to get at least 2 more publications. Right now, I have a chapter and paper under revision and working on 2 more plus my dissertation.

I also got an award from the university that will pay me for my final year. Up until fall, the advisor pays my graduate assistanship from a funded grant. Once the award kicks in, I should technically focus on it full time and no longer see families. I offered to help, but asked for a reduced caseload. I will still have to see 5 families at least until new people coming in the fall get trained.

My issue with finishing up soon is due to my experiences in the program, which have not always been the most positive. Many times I felt as if I don't below in the team and a lack of acceptance from the team members and sometimes the advisor...plus at times certain people appeared to be favored and were given more support in terms of publishing. On the other hand, since I stayed around this long (I'm going in my 5th year in the Fall), it only makes sense to stay and complete more publications. Any thoughts?

Also, my program is Developmental, but the work we do is Clinical, so I will be applying for Clinical post-docs with research emphasis.