Time: Mmm... Adderall & Ritalin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nick_carraway

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"That is perhaps the bioethicist's greatest concern — that cognitive enhancement may be wrong not because it is physically risky or because it creates an unlevel playing field but because it redefines the nature of human achievement itself."

Honestly? What is this, the steroids of academics? This article is largely over-estimating the 'benefits' of these drugs. Sure, I guess one could argue it gives an individual an advantage on a particular test for example, but by no means does it endow them with greater knowledge/success in their life. Just keep things simple, do things the honest way, and you've got nothing to worry about! :)

Last edited:
hehe this part made me laugh:
"the typical student user is actually not the overachieving brainiac but a 'white male frat brother with a B average.'"
that's my roommate, lol.

and i do think the drugs help, but it wont magically make a B student into an A student. you still have to do the work but the drug slightly helps you focus and recall information.. so it really would only help those who tend to choke on tests or maybe those who pull all nighters and have trouble focusing when it's time to write the exam

Members don't see this ad :)

I was going to say earlier, we just had a huge flame war on this topic. No need to repeat it. Use the search, OP. (Said in an ObiWan Kenobi like voice.)

I was going to say earlier, we just had a huge flame war on this topic. No need to repeat it. Use the search, OP. (Said in an ObiWan Kenobi like voice.)
The topic, yes. I'm well aware of the fact that these cognitive drugs are not new to discussion on SDN.

It's interesting to me, however, that pre-health students aren't the only ones who abuse these drugs and that people in other industries use/abuse them as well. It's also interesting that some doctors will prescribe these drugs just for their cognitive effects.

If you don't like the topic or are tired of it, simply don't click on the clearly labeled title. Let's start your self-restraint at that moment.