Time off AFTER med school/before internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keysersoze

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I know that discussing "weakness" is a taboo subject among the young and self-assured, but I find myself at an impasse and I need help. I am a 4th year at a reasonably well-respected institution in NYC. I have not yet taken Step 1, and realistically, I know I have only 6 or so more weeks until I must take this exam or I put myself at a disadvantage in the application process. I am finding it exceedingly hard to focus on this, since in the next 6 weeks I am also taking 2 straggler core clerkships that did not fit into my 3rd year schedule.

The following list does not imply that my life is harder than that of anyone else. It simply is an accounting of what I have been dealing with in addition to medical school for the past 3 years:

-My mother's chronic spinal cord disease took a great turn for the worse in terms of pain, coming at a time when I lived in a different city for the first time in my life.

-Buckling under the stress of family-related issues and a very unhealthy physique and lifestyle, my father has a cardiac event during my first year

-Around the time of spring break my first year, my mother was subjected to an intrathecal overdose of dilaudid and baclofen via the pharmacy mixing the drugs and misreading the decimel point resulting in a ten-fold higher dose than intended. She nearly died from this incident, and spent almost 10 weeks with varying degrees of auditory and visual hallucinations that are associated with baclofen withdrawal.

-2nd year, my future brother-in-law, whom I love very much, was diagnosed with colon cancer (requiring resection) at age 38. This disease killed his father at age 45, and seems to be the first familial proof of HNPCC.

-My fiancee, who lives with me, and who I love even more, became very depressed. She has become very close with my parents due to the absence of her own, and seeing them and her brother suffer took its toll.

-Over 2nd year, it becomes apparent that my mother has suffered short term memory losses from the overdose, and now has frequent panic attacks...a problem that she NEVER faced before, even as a disabled chronic pain patient.

-Nearly bringing my fiancee and I to our knees in disbelief, my other would-be brother-in-law dies in the Rhode Island "Station" nightclub fire, February 20, 2003.

-In the meantime, my mother no longer enjoys the pain relief that her intrathecal pump delivered before her overdose, and is in 10/10 pain almost all the time.

I wish the above timeline were either 1) bull****, or 2) stretched out over 10-20 years instead of 3 years in med school. But this is how and when it has all come down. The stuff with my mother...how sad to admit this...is all but expected in my life. Her medical history is a sad series of events, I can assure you. Our whole family has worked through it bit by bit for 20 years. The other events, on top of her misfortune, are what has really thrown me off kilter here.

Despite maintaining High Pass/Honors grades in my clinical clerkships this past year, I still have not taken this god forsaken Step 1 exam, and I HEAR THE CLOCK TICKING DAY BY DAY. Focusing on more than one thing at a time right now (clerkship + Step 1) is beyond my ability.

My question for those who have stayed with me up to this point is this: I want to go into anesthesiology, I have always known this, but I really feel as though taking one year off and getting the hell out of New York City would do me a hell of a lot of good. Is it reasonable for me to take a year off after I graduate to get focused again and get ready for the medical road ahead? I sincerely hope it is feasible, otherwise I do not know what I'm going to do. As far as explaining it to residency directors next year, I believe I can do that without seeming like a "slacker." While there is nothing wrong with needing time to find one's self, I do not need to find myself in this instance. I simply need to pick up a few of the pieces I lost while I've been getting the **** kicked out of me these past few years.

Will I really be hurting myself by doing this? My feeling is no...given that I will surely attain a higher Step 1 score when I can take longer than 6 weeks to study for it...but I really need reassurance right now.

To those who read my entire diatribe, I thank you sincerely. I do look forward to your responses. Best of luck to each of you as you continue on the road ahead.

Keyser Soze

Members don't see this ad.

Usually not recommended, but I think hearing your history that many PDs will understand and have heart. Still doesn't look good on your application, but there are more important things in life.

Also depends if you're going into a competative specialty. If you want any primary care specialty, taking off a year shouldn't be a big deal. If you want Ortho/ENT/Derm/Rads, it might be tougher to get a spot after a year off.

If you spend your year off doing research, then it won't be much of a hit after all. If you can manage to do some good research in that year and get published it may even help your application.

Sometimes real life conspires against us. Just let the PDs (program directors) of the programs you're interested in know your problems without laying on a huge sob story, and you'll probably be just fine in the application process.

HOWEVER

6 weeks is probably enough to study for Step I. Most people make the mistake of overstudying for the test. If you were decent in pathology, pharmacology and micro, you'll probably do well on Step I (it's much more clinical now that it was before, so you won't be at a disadvantage). Just do an easy clerkship and tell your instructor you're studying for Step I and you need to get out early every day. Most people don't sweat too hard in their 4th year rotations anyway unless they're SubIs in their chosen specialty. (it's not like 3rd year)

Bottom line: you can take a year off if you want to, but I would recommend just studying for 6 weeks and taking the damn test. Get it over with.

Did you mean Step II? I thought it was required to pass Step I by your third year and I also thought most medical schools required you to pass Step II prior to graduation ... :confused:

I should add again that my plan is to do research during whatever time off I take. I had not planned to sit back and do nothing or get a non-medically related job. Would this still look bad on my application?

Also, do you feel I would be better off to somehow take this year off before I officially graduate rather than after?

Thanks to all who reply.

keysersoze said:
I should add again that my plan is to do research during whatever time off I take. I had not planned to sit back and do nothing or get a non-medically related job. Would this still look bad on my application?

Also, do you feel I would be better off to somehow take this year off before I officially graduate rather than after?

Thanks to all who reply.

I know a few peds people who did this - but they were women and had children. They had no problem matching and did so at decent programs. (one of them even did research at northwestern in her year off.)

I'm only an MSIV, so I don't speak with much authority, but I think you should take a year off. I think anesthesia is not uber-competitive, and if you are able to move anywhere for residency, you should be ok. If you are restricted to the NY area, you probably don't have as great a chance, but at least you are lucky in being in an area with such a high concentration of residencies.

Good luck.

keysersoze said:

Thanks to all who reply.

I would highly recommend taking the time off BEFORE graduation. Take a leave of absence or "research year" if your school allows this. This is for more than one reason. Do you have loans for med school? If so, they will go into repayment starting 6 months after you leave school. Will you be able to pay 6 months of your loans with whatever you will make doing research? YOu won't be able to take the residency deferral if you aren't in a residency. It sounds like you are off cycle anyway and this would allow you to get the missed third year clerkships done without cutting into your time for taking 4th year electives that you want / need.

As far as it affecting you in applying for residency, PDs are far more understanding than I ever imagined. You may have to apply to a few more places or add a few to your rank list, but they would (I'm sure) much rather have you enter internship with things settled.

Good luck on your decision. It's not an easy one to have to make.

kristing said:
I know a few peds people who did this - but they were women and had children. They had no problem matching and did so at decent programs. (one of them even did research at northwestern in her year off.)

I'm only an MSIV, so I don't speak with much authority, but I think you should take a year off. I think anesthesia is not uber-competitive, and if you are able to move anywhere for residency, you should be ok. If you are restricted to the NY area, you probably don't have as great a chance, but at least you are lucky in being in an area with such a high concentration of residencies.

Good luck.

I don't think it will be a problem, especially if you do something constructive as you suggested. I know several people who got their MPH or did research the year after they graduated from med school. It could make you more competative depending on what you accomplish, especially if you maintain average board scores.

If you do decide to take step 1 before you graduate, you will have to schedule it relativly soon. In this case, I would try to push back your straggling core rotations and take 4 weeks off, study, and pass step 1.

jlw2004 said:
...Do you have loans for med school? If so, they will go into repayment starting 6 months after you leave school. Will you be able to pay 6 months of your loans with whatever you will make doing research? YOu won't be able to take the residency deferral if you aren't in a residency....

Good point. But, there are some research grants and felloships positions that may allow you to maintain your student status, thus avoiding repayment. This is exactly what one friend of mine did, though I have no details on how.

If you went this route, you would also want to explore your options as early as possible so you could apply for those positions etc. You may find it helpfull to talk with someone in your Dean's office.

I'd like to express my gratitude to everyone who has replied. I am indeed looking into taking this research year before graduation now, as I now understand it has several benefits from loan repayment to continuing health insurance. I've also come to realize that staying matriculated but not completing one final requirement would still allow me to move out of the northeast with my wife-to-be...something that we really feel like we need...as long as I return some time in that 12 months to finish the 4-week requirement. My parents, happily, are even considering following us (since my father is self-employed and can do his job from almost anywhere).

I have spoken to many residency coordinators for anesthesiology programs all around the country, and they seemed very supportive of my proposed plan. All but one though that it would have no detrimental effect on my application at all, provided I have the boards completed by the time of my application, which I will.

It now sounds like my only real concern is securing some funding for the research I plan to do so we don't go hungry. :) I will work on that soon.

If anyone has more opinions about taking a year of research before or after graduation (even though the impetus behind it is taking care of my family), I would greatly appreciate them.

Take care, and thanks again.

Keyser

Don't worry about loan repayment. You can ALWAYS forbear if you don't make enough money.

Good luck

Another advantage to taking time off before graduating is having the assistance of your med school during your application process. They would probably help you some even if you were already graduated, but I think your status as remaining a student with them would put you in the regular pool of applicants and ensure you get to have your applications processed with your school, so that dean's letter, letters of rec, and transcripts go through the deans office at your school and directly to ERAS from there, rather than you having to deal with putting it all together and making sure it gets to ERAS (as I've heard happens at some non-US med schools). Plus, it sounds like you need time off NOW, and the sooner the better.

To answer kinetic's question: no, not all med school require you to pass step1 before clinical clerkships, it's an individual school policy whether they require this. Some schools don't even require you to pass step 1 or 2 before graduating, but you really can't get a residency spot without passing step 1, and not passing step 2 before starting can be a problem with some programs too.