Time off From Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tanya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into getting an MPH while in medical school. Is it necessary to attend a med school with a school of public health? Would it be possible to take time off during medical school (one that didn?t have a school of public health) to get a MPH at another school? Do many students take time off during medical school? When is the best time to make the break? What types of activities do med student do during time off?

------------------

"Just like moons and like suns...With the certainty of tides...Just like hopes springing high...Still I'll rise" -Maya Angelou "Still I Rise"

Members don't see this ad.

It is not necessary to attend a school that has a SPH, it just makes it easier. Most med students complete a one year MPH in between the second and third years, but of course there are exceptions. I had a med student (MPH track in admin) from another school in a number of my classes last year (MHA is my track), so I imagine most schools would let you go somewhere else. I would bet that many schools have agreements with SPH's or MPH/MHA programs in the area.

I have never heard of an institution offerring an MPH that could actually be completed between 2nd and 3rd year. This would HIGHLY interest me! Could you give me some idea where to look in order to get more info about these programs? I would really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I should clarify myself. The MPH involves taking a year off between the second and third years. I answered the original posters reply with her question about taking time off in mind. The program I am familiar with is UNC and it is about 33 credit hours, plus a 6 week summer internship. A number of med school students come over every year for an MPH in policy/admin, maternal & child health, preventive care, etc.

Check out http://www.sph.unc.edu/hpaa/index.html for a description of a typical course sequence.

Thanks a lot, I will go check that out. BTW, you were clear in your first post, I had just never heard of a 1 year MPH program..most are 2 years long. Thanks again!

Another alternative that I know of is to get your MPH after finishing med school. I believe there are quite a few MPH programs that are only one year for MDs.

I can only speak for UNC so here is the gist of how it works:

There are 7 or so depts. within SPH, each grants it's own degrees - MPH, MS, MHA, MSPH, PhD, DrPH, etc. so it can get kind of confusing. I know HBHE is a two year program that ends with an MPH.

One year MPH's are generally reserved for those with prior professional degrees (physician, dentist, pharmacist, lawyer). I have had a number of these folks in my classes over the past two years. One of my TA's is a third year med student. You need not have completed the degree prior to entering SPH (ie there were several law students last year). Most med students just take a year off from school for SPH. We also have a 50 something old physician. Lat year a girl came over from Dook med that got an MPH.

I would think schools would be very amenable to taking the time off, so long as you are in decent academic standing. I know PCOM has an agreement w/ St. Josephs for an MBA that stretches med school to 5 years. I think Des Moines is starting an MHA as well. At UNC, from what I understand pretty much any med school student can come over - just have to fill out the paperwork.

While high level SPH's are very competitive, they LOVE having professionals come over for degrees. It looks good when their graduates have multiple degrees.

Hope this helps!

Thank you all, very helpful indeed! This info opens another door of options for me.

RAM #48 what career opportunities for MHA? Are you in applying to medical school in the near future?

------------------

"Just like moons and like suns...With the certainty of tides...Just like hopes springing high...Still I'll rise" -Maya Angelou "Still I Rise"

A MHA from a good program is a very broad based degree that gives you many career options. Picking a school with a strong external activities office and good alumni helps A LOT. You can do health services research, be a policy wonk, hospital administration, physician practice management, work for the health department, healthcare marketing, not for profit, etc, etc, etc.

Personally I am doing none of the above
biggrin.gif

Least not for the next 7-8 years.

I am headed to med school in the fall.

When I am finished and practicing medicine I will see how I feel. Most likely I won't put the MHA to serious work, it will just be nice to have it under my belt
biggrin.gif