Time offset for supervision hours provided for faculty psychologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

egw235

Reaction score
Hello. My team is negotiating with our department about clinical hours expectations and we are looking to provide comparisons to other sites. I'd love to hear from psychologists in clinical practice (especially academic medical centers or similar sites, ie VAs) what your weekly clinical hours expectations are for 1.0 FTE and whether you get a time offset for providing supervision.

Thank you!
EGW (clinical faculty psychologist, large academic medical center)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. My team is negotiating with our department about clinical hours expectations and we are looking to provide comparisons to other sites. I'd love to hear from psychologists in clinical practice (especially academic medical centers or similar sites, ie VAs) what your weekly clinical hours expectations are for 1.0 FTE and whether you get a time offset for providing supervision.

Thank you!
EGW (clinical faculty psychologist, large academic medical center)

Our expectations are either 30 or 32 hours/week (I'm perpetually over and can never keep it straight). I know supervisors of interns and externs received "workload credit" (i.e., reduced workload expectation) for providing supervision, and I believe psychologists providing supervision for unlicensed staff receive a similar offset.

Reactions: 1 users
Our expectations are either 30 or 32 hours/week (I'm perpetually over and can never keep it straight). I know supervisors of interns and externs received "workload credit" (i.e., reduced workload expectation) for providing supervision, and I believe psychologists providing supervision for unlicensed staff receive a similar offset.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, do you usually schedule around the expected amount of billable hours or overshoot to account for no-shows?

Just curious, do you usually schedule around the expected amount of billable hours or overshoot to account for no-shows?
I schedule at or slightly above the requirement, although it's a bit different being in neuropsych, as overshooting would typically add 5 to 8 hours (including feedback) per outpatient. But I've certainly overbooked myself in the past if I needed to get someone in more quickly than my first available appointment.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know anyone at my AMC that is 1.0 FTE clinical (this is actually quite rare outside of neuropsych on the adult side and I don't know about the comp plans for the child folks as it's administratively separate). For those that aren't 1.0 FTE (have research, teaching and/or leadership responsibilities paying part of salary-- this is the vast majority of us) the number of clinical hours is really determined by how many RVUs you need to make to cover the clinical proportion of your salary. There is generally no credit/offset for supervision which makes it quite challenging to find individuals willing to supervise interns, prac students etc. Faculty actually lose money by supervising--- Essentially those that supervise do so because they enjoy it, want to give back etc.

Don't do clinical work in my current position, but at my old position the expectation was generally that you would schedule 8/day so you could see 6-7 (for therapy). There was a debacle this past year where supervision historically provided a meaningful offset and that was largely taken away. I forget the exact numbers but the new version basically worked out to where each supervisee meant you could have 30 minutes less patient contact per week. Given you would have an hour-long supervision meeting, that was nonsense. Heck, rapid-fire signing notes/reports without reading them probably takes more than 30 minutes/week if you have 1-2 supervisees with full caseloads. Thus, people left in droves.