time to date/marry while in medical school?

Started by luv2sd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

luv2sd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering when people find time to date and marry someone if they are planning on going to medical school or if they are already in medical school. I'm still a premed but I don't really have time to go hang out with people and find someone to date and I can't imagine what it's going to be like once I get into medical school... I'm seriously thinking about online dating sites... thoughts anyone?
 
Pre-med (college)= time for sex, wild parties, and drunken hookups

Med1-3 school=Time for settling down, studying
4th year med=Time for sex, wild parties, and drunken hookups

Is that correct, cause this is what ive heard lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the most parst, medical school requries more time commitment than undergrad. Rearrange your lifestyle now so that you are studying less and socializing more. Think of partying as "refining your social skills for the interviews." It's all about time efficiency. Cut out telivision, posting on SDN, and other idle activities that aren't contributing to your important life goals. Last year, I would sometimes would go out to bars to approach women for the specific purpose of improving my self confidence and social skills (It worked...but progress is slow).

-single MSIII
 
Happened to my brother, but anecdotal evidence is pretty bleh. There's hope though man.
 
I was just wondering when people find time to date and marry someone if they are planning on going to medical school or if they are already in medical school. I'm still a premed but I don't really have time to go hang out with people and find someone to date and I can't imagine what it's going to be like once I get into medical school... I'm seriously thinking about online dating sites... thoughts anyone?

Kind of agree with the others. You probably have a ton more time to date in college than you are going to have in med school, so if you "don't really have time to go hang out with people and find someone to date" now, that's bad. Never put this kind of stuff on hold with the expectation that you will have more time down the road, or that things will be easier later. They often won't.
I'm not sure the online dating sites will end up being less time consuming -- you still have to actually find the time to go out on dates, probably a lot of them, before you find someone on there worth pursuing.
 
Two of med schools I have interviewed at say that every single year 2 people marry each other from the same class. I guess this means you at least have time to date during class?

2 birds with 1 stone
 
at an interview that i went to, i was told that like 70% of the students were married before graduation. some to each other, some to non med students.

the students there told me that if there's time for ecs then there's time for a husband/wife. so basically, there is time.
 
Two of med schools I have interviewed at say that every single year 2 people marry each other from the same class. I guess this means you at least have time to date during class?

2 birds with 1 stone


Makes me think of how awkward it can be if relationship goes south...
 
I am not in med school (yet), but I might be able to help answer this.

Currently I work part time, attend school full time, care for my child (a dog), and am married. Once med school starts, I'll quit working and that extra time will be made available for studying and a few extra classes.

So, in my opinion, YES, there will be enough time for that... if you make time.
 
You're totally missing out on some good times if you're not going out and enjoying yourself right now. You don't have to party to have a good time either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sorry to hear that you can only last that long.

Darn, I hope I won't receive a warning from the moderators for saying this.

Its not about lasting long, its about mastery😀, it can be two minutes, it can be two hours, I decide:laugh:
 
between class and studying, i spent about 80 hrs a week at it, but i still find time to hold a job, relax, sleep, eat, and go out once a week!
 
I agree, like was mentioned above, its all about time efficiancy. Budget your time wisely: instead of one single intense session that will leave you drained and unable to complete work afterwards, break it up into several 'quickies' spread throughout the day that will be sure to energize and please both parties.

Try maybe like a breakfast, lunch and dinner type thing....I guess like dessert. Maybe even read a text book during- killing two birds with one stone. Or better yet, seduce the professor....though this poses the obvious risk of being graded on both classwork and performance
 
i also had no time or desire to "officially" date in college. i absolutely hate the idea of dating, and think it is an artificial "in vitro" fertilization type of thing (especially online dating:scared:). everything should happen naturally, like you hanging out with friends and spotting a hot guy, or maybe sparks fly at work, blah blah...
anyways i was always tired exhausted and depressed in college to put myself out there. and it cannot get any worse in medschool. trust me 😉 at worst i'll be a single hot doctor in four years. arghhhh

i met my soon to be fiancé on hotornot.com when i was a senior in high school and he was a college grad taking a year off before law school (and we lived/went to school 3 hours apart). we've been dating for over 3 years 😀

👍 to online dating!!

hahaha... i probably have a rather strange and unique story.
 
There are plenty of time in college for dating and just hanging out with your friends in general. Play less video games, watch less TV, and go out more. I do not for a second believe that you're so busy studying that you don't have time to meet people. There isn't that much to study, and I don't think you can focus for 9 hours a day doing homework and reading textbooks.

Realize that you'll ALWAYS be working until you retire. This work thing? It doesn't stop. This is life.

If you don't have time now, you'll never have time. So make time, go out there and live.
 
I dated ~10 women this year alone, and I tell you: don't believe the hype. Dating is over-rated, just like sex, alcohol and i-phone (the iphone'e built in camera has only 2.0 megapixel). Also, dating can be expensive. Let me be more specific. Dating EAST ASIAN GIRLS is expensive. They are materialistic, demanding, and expect guys to buy things and pay for them. (I guess I should start dating white girls, eh? 😛)
Nonetheless, you should date someone just to get some experience and to see how other people think and act. Just watch out for needy, emotionally-pertrubed, or abusive ones.
 
If you aren't smart enough to make time for real life in college, you probably wont be in med school...

Yep. Not really a factor of intelligence - but if you can't make it in life?

I'm not being viscous - do you own life before another comes along 😉
 
you can ask your interviewer out to a date. that will settle the issue.
 
between class and studying, i spent about 80 hrs a week at it, but i still find time to hold a job, relax, sleep, eat, and go out once a week!
:bullcrap: I'm sure you're not over-exaggerating

anyways i was always tired exhausted and depressed in college to put myself out there. and it cannot get any worse in medschool. trust me 😉 at worst i'll be a single hot doctor in four years. arghhhh

Actually it will get much worse in med school. I have to echo what L2D said, since it is something that took me a year of grad school and almost a year of med school to realize: don't put your life on hold in med school (and especially not in college). If you go in with the mentality that you can put off fun until things get easier you will just keep putting it off. This goes for everything: dating, hanging out with friends, working out (a big one) or partying, if that is your thing. You have to make time for these things otherwise they will fall by the wayside.



I can tell you, dating in med school is much, much harder. I have been dating the same girl since college so I can compare. Not only do you have less time and often less money but the stress level increases dramatically. All of this is compounded by the fact that the person you are dating probably won't understand the time commitment needed. It is very easy to drop everything and just focus on work so you have to MAKE time to date, work out, or hang out so that your life remains balanced.

There is a reason that almost a quarter or med students report depression while entering M1s report no higher levels than the general population. Med school really unbalances your life so you really have to fight to keep it [relatively] balanced
 
I dated ~10 women this year alone, and I tell you: don't believe the hype. Dating is over-rated, just like sex, alcohol and i-phone (the iphone'e built in camera has only 2.0 megapixel). Also, dating can be expensive. Let me be more specific. Dating EAST ASIAN GIRLS is expensive. They are materialistic, demanding, and expect guys to buy things and pay for them. (I guess I should start dating white girls, eh? 😛)
Nonetheless, you should date someone just to get some experience and to see how other people think and act. Just watch out for needy, emotionally-pertrubed, or abusive ones.

yup

casual sex is where its at

thats my gameplan til im about 30 or so
 
I'm going to post a serious answer!

My wife (then fiancee) was doing her MD, while I was doing my PhD in another country. Our dating and marriage arrangements were particularly time-consuming and tricky, but we got it done.

Now she's doing her residency, and I'm pre-med. Her intern year was our first year of marriage, and was tough in quite a few places, but we made it through and we are doing well.

If you want to look for someone during medical school, go for it. Just realise that you have to be serious and committed to it. You have to make a lot of effort, it'll be time-consuming, stressful and you'll go without sleep sometimes.

With all of that said, however, marriage is a big, serious commitment itself. You'll be challenged throughout married life, if you are a doctor. Imagine long hours and overnight calls while trying to raise children and keep your relationship working well.

It's never going to be easy, but dating in medical school won't be any harder than what you're committing to later on.

Always also remember that pre-med and medical students obsess about it and talk about it all the time. You'll be asking a lot of the person that you're dating/marrying. If they can put up with that to keep you, you'll do fine, but remember to thank them for their patience on a regular basis.
 
Online dating sites might not be a good idea.

My profile was rejected from eharmony! There's nothing worse than getting rejected by an online dating service 😡

A sad, sad day for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Online dating sites might not be a good idea.

My profile was rejected from eharmony! There's nothing worse than getting rejected by an online dating service 😡

A sad, sad day for me.

may i ask why they rejected you? that is weird.
 
eharmoney rejects people all the time, somehting like a million people have been rejected for whatever reasons. I think age might be a big factor, as well as education. eharmoney is not a hookup site, its for people who are desperately trying to get married I personally think its good that they are strigent about their members.
 
the eharmony site is run by some UCLA student.
That is what one of my friends that go to UCLA told me.

By any chance, are you a Trojan - not the virus?