timed vs untimed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lwergod

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't really taken any timed tests yet, but my most recent stats from the DATBC sample tests thus far are:

bio: 22 (biggest weakness is embryology/taxonomy, haven't really learned these subjects. I missed all of the questions related to these topics, which is around 6 questions, so there's a lot of room for improvement)

Chem: 22
Ochem: N/a (still have to re-learn everything using Chad's)
reading:n/a
QR: 20 (mostly careless errors)
PAT: 21 (weak af with pattern folding and keyholes)

I should note untimed, I use typically 30-40% more than the given time. I take the DAT MID July.

am I in a comfortable position to keep improving by then? (speed without compromising accuracy?

considering I started seriously studying 2-3 weeks ago, is there room for much more improvement?

I haven't touched DAT destroyer yet, and and still using DATBC demo but will upgrade soon

Members don't see this ad.

I should note untimed, I use typically 30-40% more than the given time.
I would say your in a good place when it comes to understanding the concepts. But I would start taking timed tests ASAP. Because the DAT isn't necessary super difficult when it comes to content, it mostly comes down to timing and being able to handle stress and still work well. Because even 10 extra minutes on, for example, the GC section would make it SO much easier, because it gives you more to do the mental calculations and decreases the stress of when you fall behind.

Taking timed tests is so important. When I started taking the full length timed exams it taught me a lot. For example, GC was one of my weaknesses going into the exam (timing issues mostly), I would spend to much time on one hard problem, then get behind, panic and rush to catch up, resulting in me not doing so hot. But when I started taking the full length exams, I noticed I would always finish BIO with between 5-10 minutes left. This gave me extra time for GC and definitely helped me do better. Its little stuff like this and just learning how to work quickly that timed tests can help you with.

Also, untimed PAT is soooo much easier. PAT is hard because its 90 questions in 60 minutes, and if you fall behind its not good. So taking timed exams will let you know what sections your faster in and what sections you need to work on. Making sure to use the PAT generators with the timer on, this will help you practice as well. Best of luck.