Timeline concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMSwaffles

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just had a few questions about the timeline of the application process. I finished my AMCAS application in June, but I had some issues getting transcripts and it did not get completed and sent to schools until July 31 (I had taken a community college class in high school, and I was unaware that I needed that transcript, as it was listed on my university transcript). I applied to 19 schools, and managed to complete my secondaries and CASPer testing by 8/22. I have not heard much, except that I got wait-listed for an interview today (WVU). Did I miss the proverbial boat for application submission or am I more in the "on time, but not as early as I would have wanted to be camp?"

Some of my stats: I had a 511 MCAT, 3.7 GPA, 64 hours of shadowing, 600 hours of volunteering, 8 semester of research, and stand up comedy as an interesting/fun activity. I am spending this year as a full-time medical scribe.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm just super nervous about the process and the limbo between completing secondaries and hearing about interviews is stressful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I just had a few questions about the timeline of the application process. I finished my AMCAS application in June, but I had some issues getting transcripts and it did not get completed and sent to schools until July 31 (I had taken a community college class in high school, and I was unaware that I needed that transcript, as it was listed on my university transcript). I applied to 19 schools, and managed to complete my secondaries and CASPer testing by 8/22. I have not heard much, except that I got wait-listed for an interview today (WVU). Did I miss the proverbial boat for application submission or am I more in the "on time, but not as early as I would have wanted to be camp?"

Some of my stats: I had a 511 MCAT, 3.7 GPA, 64 hours of shadowing, 600 hours of volunteering, 8 semester of research, and stand up comedy as an interesting/fun activity. I am spending this year as a full-time medical scribe.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm just super nervous about the process and the limbo between completing secondaries and hearing about interviews is stressful.

You're not late lol, it takes awhile for schools to work through the thousands of applications.
Check out the 2018-2019 allopathic school specific discussions, that should give you a good idea of the timelines for each school you applied to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools get 5,000-10,000 applications
Schools can fully process maybe 500 or so a week
Schools dont get up to full speed until mid-to-late August at least
Schools therefore can take 12 weeks or more (3 months+) to fully evaluate, review, and take initial actions
Hence why being in the door (ie complete) by Labor Day (for highly selective schools) or so mid-to-later Sept (more solid candidates at most schools), will get you reviewed likely by Thanksgiving
By that point schools move from evaluation and review into primarily post interview and acceptance/rejection review.

@gonnif , when you say highly selective schools, do you mean the top tier ones? or mid-tier schools, like VCU, GW etc which get a lot of apps?

Thanks for the information and reassurance. I know I came off a little neurotic on the original post haha.

Also, yeah I definitely dropped the ball on the transcript issue. A surprising amount of people forget about community college transcripts from high school courses. I told two of my friends from high school (who are applying this cycle) about what happened and they had both made the same oversight.