Timeline for academic jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glees

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with expected timelines for hearing about academic jobs after applications are in? There seems to be a lot of variability, and I know I can check into the job wiki. But as a general guideline, how long would someone expect to wait to hear about interviews? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of factors to consider, most importantly what part of the year the apps were due. If the apps are due far before Thanksgiving (e.g., before November), I would think a month or so would be a typical turn around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of depends on setting. If you mean like TT university position (9 month schedule) then usually they are interviewing as early as Nov/Dec but I have seen as late as March/April. Communication will vary wildly - you may never hear from some places, or some places (I've heard) might even interview you but then never follow-up. That can be for a variety of reasons (e.g., keep a pool in case top choice backs out or something).

It varies widely, as others have said. Some of this variability is at the department level and some of it is at the HR level. You want to look at the timeline in which the department says they'll begin review....but sometimes it takes FOREVER to get from looking at the pool to doing initial interviews (phone, Skype) even IF a department does those, and then it can drag on from there to hear about in-person interviews. I know for my program, the ad has to be posted for 30 days before we can look at applications and then we try to do phone/Skype interviews as quickly as we can to get on campus interviews completed before the December holiday break. Which doesn't always happen, but the goal is to get offers out before the new year.