Timeline Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatquestions1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere, I couldn't find any information about this application cycle for my questions.

I had a question about the AMCAS application. I know that it opens up in May, but what is the first day that we can submit our application? Is it June 1st?

Additionally, I heard that Medical Schools do not see our application until the end of June/Early July. Is there any truth to this?

The reason that I'm asking is that I'm currently registered to take the MCAT on May 19th. I think I'm going to push it back to June 16th, however, because I don't think I will be ready by then. That means that my score will not be available until Mid July. I was planning on submitting day one to just one school to get verified, and then adding schools once I get my MCAT score back. Do you all think that this would be reasonable, or will this hurt my chances?

Basically, if my scores aren't available until mid-july will I still be a decently early applicant? And is it true that medical schools don't see our AMCAS application until around the first week of July anyway, so I would only be ~2 weeks late?

I have ~3.8gpa and pretty good extracurriculars, so I'm just trying to make sure I do decently well on this MCAT. I'm determined to apply this cycle and think with the extra time studying, I will do fine hopefully.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't feel ready to take your MCAT, don't take it. Take it when you feel ready. If that means you have to take a gap year, take a gap year. I went through 3 app cycles, and I will tell you that the most valuable lesson I got out of it is that you shouldn't apply until you have a strong application. I didn't my first time, and I did it anyways. I really shouldn't have. So take your time prepping for MCAT and take your time writing a strong app. Don't rush it. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I totally understand that. I feel like my application overall outside of my MCAT is ready, and I've already got a jump start on writing my personal statement and looking at secondaries. I feel like I could do decently well if I took the MCAT May 19th, but I think the extra few weeks of studying would really help me get an even better score. Essentially, I'm wondering if applying with a mid-June MCAT score that won't come out until July would be detrimental to my application or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I totally understand that. I feel like my application overall outside of my MCAT is ready, and I've already got a jump start on writing my personal statement and looking at secondaries. I feel like I could do decently well if I took the MCAT May 19th, but I think the extra few weeks of studying would really help me get an even better score. Essentially, I'm wondering if applying with a mid-June MCAT score that won't come out until July would be detrimental to my application or not.
I took my MCAT May 14th, submitted AMCAS app around June 18th, got verified around July 18th, and started receiving and submitting secondaries July 19th-ish.

If you feel confident that you'll get a good score on that mid-June date, one thing you could think about is submitting your application without your MCAT score in June (this is allowed). It seems like most schools don't screen for secondaries, so once you receive them, you can write the secondary essays and have them ready to go for submission, contingent upon your solid MCAT score, of course.

If not, I don't think you'd be at a huge disadvantage if you got your MCAT score in July and submitted your AMCAS app immediately after. You'd likely have 3-4 weeks processing time from AMCAS, but if you pre-write your secondary essays (the prompts will be posted on SDN), you can definitely have all your apps in by mid-August. Interview season really doesn't kick into gear until September, so it's doable. There were certainly people who submitted secondaries after I did who received interviews before me to schools I also interviewed at. It's not necessarily a linear process, though the general rule is earlier = better.

Reactions: 1 user
Wiser words have never been written on SDN

Yes your application would arrive only two weeks after opening transmission day. But also remember you will be at the bottom of the pile at that point. However, you do not get into medical school by being early; you get in by being good. Applying early with a lower MCAT leads to rejection. Applying later with a solid MCAT has a much better chance of acceptance

I am less concerned with the bottom of the pile than I used to be. With the electronic application system now in place for over a decade, it is very easy to skim the cream and pull the applicants of greatest interest leaving weaker applicants who arrived earlier behind. It is no longer always, "first in, first out" as it was back in the day when an entire room in the admissions suite was dedicated to storing and distributing paper files.

I am less concerned with the bottom of the pile than I used to be. With the electronic application system now in place for over a decade, it is very easy to skim the cream and pull the applicants of greatest interest leaving weaker applicants who arrived earlier behind. It is no longer always, "first in, first out" as it was back in the day when an entire room in the admissions suite was dedicated to storing and distributing paper files.
But those bottom applicant are still considered, right?
(Grade trends, EC's, compelling life story are also important)

But those bottom applicant are still considered, right?
(Grade trends, EC's, compelling life story are also important)

Someone may look at them but with only 10-20% of applicants being interviewed, no one is going very deep into the pile unless there is a compelling reason (URM, legacy, VIP).

Reactions: 1 user