Timers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr2B2009

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did your proctors take away your timers? My proctor told us that there was a new rule that only wristwatches could be used. Did anyone know about this new rule ahead of time?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, new rule that they never told us about. but i used the timer on my watch anyway. it only beeps once in the beginning. did you guys get to use your timers?

No one didn't take away the timers for our room - they just told us to switch off the beepers.

took our timers away - everyone was quite pissed off. One guy even had the proctor show it to us in writing where it said no timers - so he did. Some poor folks didn't even have watches on them.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think this new rule affected alot of mcat students. none of them were excepting their timers to be taken away. even i was going to buy a desktop timer just for the mcat but i used my watch instead.
-hope the curve goes up because of this

Yeah, well that was bs. I still had a watch and had practiced with it prior in case my timer would be taken away. Well, there were at least 3 people in my room that had watches that beeped. I was like, So we aren't allowed timers that don't beep because they aren't attached to our arms? Should have duct taped the timer to my arm. :laugh:

That's odd cuz they didn't take my timer away. I would have been pretty screwed if they did.

ya this just pissed me off. So this is my 3rd mcat, i never ever useda timer in both other real ones and all my practice ones, i just did so many that i had the time down and didnt like getting focused on it. but i go out a few days before this one and think.. ahhh what the hell just get one this time since obvoiusly something hasnt been going right being its the 3rd one. so im all giddy when pulling out my timer. i feel like i blend in with all the other mcaters. only after 2 seconds to get told to stick it back in my bag! the kicker is i had to get the guy at radio shack to rig the thing to not beep.. like it was such a cool modifidied timer! jk but ya i was thinking thi smay **** alot of people up who were totally dependant on a timer and work to some advantage. i need every damn advanatage i can get as i am NOT doing this puppy again!

Originally posted by lotrfan81
Should have duct taped the timer to my arm. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

it does seem kinda weird...ppl in our room got into a big discussion about it w/the proctor too. a lot of ppl were ticked. one nice girl gave up her watch to this guy who had to give up his timer.

I didn't have a timer (or practice with one) so i was fine w/my watch...except for some reason the 100 mins on the 1st section seemed more like 45 mins. oh well.

I knew about no timers b/c I saw a rumor here or EK or something, and checked with AAMC last week. Our proctors didn't know about it, and obviously the local Kaplan teachers didn't either b/c all their students had timers. I asked the proctors after the test and they said, "Yeah, we saw that in the instructions, but why wouldn't you be able to have a timer, if you could have a watch?"

Our proctor said, no timers, and I said "EXCUSE ME, :cool: , but the gentleman downstairs said that we could use them it they didn't make any noise." It was pure fate, because the only reason she let us was because her fellow proctor was there when I asked the question originally. :clap: I totally needed that timer as it keeps my @** from getting tired and lazy.