Timing of a Pregnancy in Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RookTookIt

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that there is no ideal time to be pregnant during residency, but are certain years better suited to pregnancy/childbirth? Also, what about intern year? Pregnancy during a cush TY with lots of elective time seems easier to do than during PGY2-4, but I worry about potentially needing more time than the program can accommodate and thus putting my ophtho start in jeopardy.

If anybody has gone through a pregnancy during their ophtho residency or in their intern year, I would love to hear any advice you may have. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No right or wrong answer here but I would think intern year or 4th year of med school is best. 3rd year of ophthalmology residency is a heavy surgical year so if you miss time you might not get the best surgical numbers. 1st and 2nd year of ophthalmology residency are heavier call years so more strain on your fellow residents (honestly not a big deal).

Just having a healthy baby is a huge blessing no matter when it happens (coming from a soon to be dad!). Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
I had a baby during intern year and I'm hoping to have another one during second year of ophthalmology. I know a woman who had a baby at the beginning of third year. One of my female co-residents is also targeting early third year for a baby. It's tough but very doable to have children during residency. Being at a family-friendly program makes a difference. PM me if you want to chat sometime. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users