Timing of submission of materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my question: I submitted my original packet for Western SUPER early (in May), but I still haven't completed my secondary application. Am I still at an advantage if I finished my primary app so early or do they gauge it on how soon you finish your secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Toejam
Here's my question: I submitted my original packet for Western SUPER early (in May), but I still haven't completed my secondary application. Am I still at an advantage if I finished my primary app so early or do they gauge it on how soon you finish your secondary?

I have a feeling that the earlier you finish your secondary is what counts.

The guy who sent the primary form one week ago and returned his secondary today is at a distinct advantage to one who submitted the primary two months ago and hasn't finished the secondary. There is no further action on an app until the secondary is completed and submitted. It is not as if they number the apps in order of submission and work on them in that order. If they did, then you'd be holding a place in line. But that's not the case.

Bottom line: finish that secondary, boyo!

- Tae

I agree with tkim! Your application will not be looked at until it is complete...complete your secondary ASAP!!!

Is there a reason for your delay
qusans.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason for my delay is that I can't find a DO to write my letter of rec.

I worked with a couple at L.A. County/USC Medical Center and assumed that they'd still be there this year. I didn't try contacting them until July (thinking I had plenty of time), but when I e-mailed them I received nothing. I finally got an MD who I worked with to write me back so at least I have that.

At this point, I think it would be kind of disingenuous if I just found a random DO, busted their chops and squeezed a LOR out of them. I'm ready to submit what I have and let them ask me where my DO rec is. I'm just going to tell them the truth.

Toejam, at least get that secondary in. If the DO letter doesn't get there for a couple more weeks, getting that secondary in certainly won't hurt you. Who knows, there is always the off chance that they'll accept your MD letter (some schools supposedly will, some absolutely won't).

As far as waiting for a while to turn in secondaries, the only way it will hurt you is when the class starts filling up. Less spots + same amount of applicants = lower chance of acceptance. I highly doubt that they'll look at AACOMAS transmission dates, secondary received dates, and make any decisions that way. And if they were like that, would you want to go there anyway? :)

It's easy for many (not saying you are this way, you've been around the block before) to see other people getting interviews and then panic. It's still pretty early in the application cycle. Lots more people will be applying in October, sweating interviews. Hopefully we'll already have our spots. :)

I agree with the above posters. Send in your secondary even if you haven't gotten letters of recommendation. I didn't apply to COMP, but do they require a letter from a DO, or just a letter from any physician? Maybe you could get by with just the MD letter (I see now that San_Juan_Sun said the same thing :D ). You have obvious experience in the medical profession and maybe that combined with the MD letter will be enough for them to see what a dazzling applicant you are. ;)

Good luck! :D