Tinnitus in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoSkins

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Current first year here who is looking for some comfort. I started having tinnitus about nine months ago from what the ENT thinks is from my TMJ. I was able to habituate relatively quickly however over the last few days it seems to have revved up again, probably due to anxiety from recent tests. It can be quite depressing some days and I was wondering if any other medical students have tinnitus and how they are able to cope with it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Stress exacerbates it for sure (temporarily). Remind yourself that it’s probably not permanently worse if that helps you. I mostly study in my room and have some sort of fan (multiple actually) running 24/7. It helps me immensely, both in terms of focusing and sleeping. I also ripped a 10 hour audio track of rain sounds (no thunder or birds or distracting crap) and put it on my phone. I usually play it if I’m trying to sleep or study somewhere that doesn’t have enough ambient noise.

I have heard that white noise can help attenuate your brain’s response to tinittus and help you percieve it less long term, but I haven’t looked for any proof of this. Either way, it masks it. I’m sorry you are going through this, it really sucks. I think it’s important to take steps like these to try to not have it cause you more stress. If left uncontrolled the tinittus-stress positive feedback loop can be a really bad time.

Reactions: 1 user
Has your ENT recommended surgery? People with TMJD also usually present with bruxism/grinding while they sleep. An evening bite plate may drastically help alleviate symptoms. Talk to your dentist about having one fitted. Stress amplifies issues secondary to TMJD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember now. I wish I could go back and actually listen to my parents tell me not to listen to music too loud. I had a custom mouth guard made by my dentist to stop bruxism and I definitely noticed a reduction in the spells of increased intensity (I know exactly what you’re talking about when you say it revs up). It is still always there though, but over the years you will get more and more used to it to where you really only notice it in complete silence or when you are thinking about it. In my experience a fan is the best and least distracting ambient noise to help when you are studying or need relief. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember now. I wish I could go back and actually listen to my parents tell me not to listen to music too loud. I had a custom mouth guard made by my dentist to stop bruxism and I definitely noticed a reduction in the spells of increased intensity (I know exactly what you’re talking about when you say it revs up). It is still always there though, but over the years you will get more and more used to it to where you really only notice it in complete silence or when you are thinking about it. In my experience a fan is the best and least distracting ambient noise to help when you are studying or need relief. Good luck.

I actually started wearing a bite guard about 6 months before my tinnitus started since I grind in my sleep. Havent thought about this but maybe ill see my tinnitus is without wearing my bite guard for the next few nights. Just hoping we can find a cure for everyone suffering from this soon. Ive seen they have some good work coming out of U Michigan

I have it. Who cares I’m a fellow now. Just pretend it’s normal

White noise like rain or rivers flowing was essential in quiet study places. I’ve had tinnitus for years now and I’ll be an MS1 this year. Mine is pretty bad and there’s almost never a quiet moment. You just get used to it and then it’s your “normal”.

Don't piss on your DO buddies

Beg your DO buddies to give you some OMM treatment for free of charge

Cmon in bud I got a translab and vestibular nerve section waiting for you

I remember going to my doc and telling him I had ringing in the ears and that I was worried because this never happened before.

He laughed and replied, "everything starts at some point right?"

Not what I wanted to hear but I was like **** he's right, ah whatever, guess I'll add this to the list of things I'll live with for the rest of my life lol.

This seems stupid, but do it:

Works for me, albeit temporarily.