Tips Before Starting Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brachialplexus

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of threads of how to spend time before you start medical school. I'm finishing my gap year and I've been accepted into medical school and I would love to hear what current medical schools wish they would've known before-hand or things you wish you did.

I predicting that once it starts, I'm going to be so bogged down in studying and adjusting to the pace of things that I won't have the perspective or insight to step back and look at my long term goals and how to achieve them.

Things I currently planning on doing before I start:
  1. Traveling
  2. Reading - just finished Being Mortal by Atul Gawande!
  3. Spending time with family/friends
  4. Continuing to work as a scribe for the clinical exposure
  5. Figure out living situation (study environment, roommates, etc.)
  6. Pick med students brains about study materials (First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy)
  7. Make a list of professors/labs at the med school that I eventually plan on pursuing research with
Any suggestions would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I will say if you have micro first year, Sketchy with be your bff.

Also, don't over do it. Don't spread yourself too thin! Leave time for yourself to do what you want. Bogged down with studying? Absolutely, but don't forget to live your life during school!

But your plan seems pretty good! I quit my job months before i started school and I don't regret that a bit.

If you're like me, I used a laptop all through my undergrad career so I'm going to invest in a Mac desktop before school starts. Traveling and reading are my top two as well

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're like me, I used a laptop all through my undergrad career so I'm going to invest in a Mac desktop before school starts. Traveling and reading are my top two as well

I was thinking about building my own desktop pc, but RAM and GPU prices are insane right now :(

Reactions: 1 users
I was thinking about building my own desktop pc, but RAM and GPU prices are insane right now :(

I built my own desktop about 7 or 8 years ago. Still runs everything perfectly. The initial price sucks but if you use it right it pays off.

However, a good laptop can't be understated especially if you're a library studying type of person.

Reactions: 3 users
I built my own desktop about 7 or 8 years ago. Still runs everything perfectly. The initial price sucks but if you use it right it pays off.

However, a good laptop can't be understated especially if you're a library studying type of person.

Same! I actually built mine 5-6 years ago and at that time, I selected not quite the absolute best but some really, really good hardware. My PC seems to still out-run nearly everything currently sold with the exception of Ailenware/ROG gaming/etc. PCs of course, which are way overpriced anyway!

If you think you will study at home frequently, get a second monitor. Nothing beats having the lecture up on one screen and notes on the other.

Also, have fun with the rest of your gap year. I went straight from undergrad to college so I had about 2 months off and traveled pretty much the entire time.

• Continuing to work as a scribe for the clinical exposure
Unless you need the money or genuinely want to do this, you don't need to continue as a scribe for clinical exposure. There will be more than enough time for that once you're in medical school.

• Pick med students brains about study materials (First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy)
You will likely use all of those. Most people have to figure out for themselves what study strategy works best for them! For example, I was never into flashcards in college, but I'm an Anki devotee now. You (and everyone else) will do a lot of trial and error in your first few months.

1. Make a list of professors/labs at the med school that I eventually plan on pursuing research with
That's a good thought, but again, there's plenty of time for that once you begin! I would personally recommend stopping to smell the roses before you go completely into med school mode.

Overall, congratulations on your acceptances and enjoy the next several months!

I suggest getting on YouTube and watching a few videos on how to use Anki. You will thank me someday.

Reactions: 9 users
Learn how to meditate and establish a routine. Headspace the app has been great for that.

No real advice for right now other than pay attention to any communication from your school (which I'm sure you're eagerly reading anyway at this point) and make sure to stay on top of your immunization requirements. Don't be the one who reads the form two weeks before orientation only to realize you were supposed to have had a HBV shot months before.

My advice for when you start school is to learn your way around the hospital. You don't have to know it completely, but know where the ED is, how to get to the cafeteria, how to just walk around without getting lost, and, if you live in a cold area, how to get as close to your destination as possible without having to go outside.

Learn how to meditate and establish a routine. Headspace the app has been great for that.
I think meditation is only useful if you are busy. Which I'm assuming this poster isn't if they are asking for stuff to do before starting med school.