Tips for an observership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psammoma_body

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have my first observership scheduled, and since this will be my first pathology experience in the US, and the first time behind the microscope after several years, I would like to ask if you have any advice on how to best prepare?

Would reviewing Robbins be helpful? Molavi? Are there any resources available online for some basics on grossing, describing specimens, etc.? I really want to do well since I’m very interested in this particular program. Of course, I’m aware that no one expects me to know much, but I don’t want to be completely clueless either.

Also, I’m aware that faculty and residents have basically nothing to gain from the observers, and that observers are likely to slow them down, etc. Do you have any suggestions on how can I make myself useful to the team, and how to make best of my time there in general? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you just need to show them your eagerness to learn.

Be nice, make friends. You won't be able to prove much through observership. Everyone knows that.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you just need to show them your eagerness to learn.

Be nice, make friends. You won't be able to prove much through observership. Everyone knows that.

Thanks for your advice prius4life, I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be super thankful if others would also chime in...

Can you tell me at which places I can apply for pathology observership? TIA

Reactions: 1 user
Cincinnati Children's takes observers. There were two IMG observers when I did a med school rotation there. Best of luck!!!!

You might try Lester for grossing ("surgical pathology dissection" I think is the title), though the program will of course have its own grossing manual.

Hi! I have my first observership scheduled, and since this will be my first pathology experience in the US, and the first time behind the microscope after several years, I would like to ask if you have any advice on how to best prepare?

Would reviewing Robbins be helpful? Molavi? Are there any resources available online for some basics on grossing, describing specimens, etc.? I really want to do well since I’m very interested in this particular program. Of course, I’m aware that no one expects me to know much, but I don’t want to be completely clueless either.

Also, I’m aware that faculty and residents have basically nothing to gain from the observers, and that observers are likely to slow them down, etc. Do you have any suggestions on how can I make myself useful to the team, and how to make best of my time there in general? Thank you!

Don't be annoying. Don't one up others. Play nice.

I agree with what has been said. Do not be annoying / overeager, speak when spoken to & freely use "I don't know", particularly with attendings -- you may have to figure that out, depends on the person. You can be a bit more outgoing with residents/fellows, volunteer to pitch in especially with grossing. Lester & Molavi are both good intro text into practical aspects of path. Robbins is good, for theory and it's worth reading once thru at some point.