TIPs for Compounding using Intercom Plus (WALGREENS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kum718

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a new floater and i seriously need help using intercom plus to type compounding drugs. any tips would be appreciated. thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am a new floater and i seriously need help using intercom plus to type compounding drugs. any tips would be appreciated. thanks in advance

I am not with Walgreens. I did rotations there through my 4th year, though. I'd say your best bet is to seek a knowledgeable technician and go from there. They should be entering it for you anyhow. It's good for you to know how but at the end of the day, it comes down to knowing which NDCs are covered by Medicaid, etc. I think your time is best spent accomplishing pharmacist tasks.

Your techs need to be the ones pressing F1, not you. Reviewing an RX you typed also sets you up for increased liability.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your techs need to be the ones pressing F1, not you. Reviewing an RX you typed also sets you up for increased liability.

Seeing as how the pharmacist already has total liability for everything they review I'm curious what that level would be. Plus ultra?

Seeing as how the pharmacist already has total liability for everything they review I'm curious what that level would be. Plus ultra?
I know that Walmart has some policies about pharmacists reviewing their own typed scripts. Depending on the situation, a pharmacist reviewing their own script might have decrease liability insurance protections since you would be practicing outside company policy.

I know that Walmart has some policies about pharmacists reviewing their own typed scripts. Depending on the situation, a pharmacist reviewing their own script might have decrease liability insurance protections since you would be practicing outside company policy.

Interesting. So a pharmacist at Walmart would never help at order entry presumably?

I still don't buy the extra liability part though, the pharmacist is already totally liable for every script they check. I am no pretend lawyer but I don't buy that I would have more liability for a script I type vs one someone else typed.

Reactions: 1 users

What do you need help with?

I another question unrelated to compounding. When you see "wag rxsa" rejection. How do you override that. I have encountered such rejections twice, and can't seem to find my way around it. Thanks for your help
'RxSA' TPRs are actually internal Walgreens safety alerts. Do not contact the insurance about these. e.g. verify Look Alike Sound Alike drugs like hydroxyzine/hydralazine and override with Prior Authorization Type 1 code 6666.

Just inputing the script. Sometimes intercom doesn't give the formula for the compounding product. in that case what do you do?

I another question unrelated to compounding. When you see "wag rxsa" rejection. How do you override that. I have encountered such rejections twice, and can't seem to find my way around it. Thanks for your help
There's a list of compound recipes on StoreNet (hundreds). The most common is a magic mouthwash with benadryl/maalox/viscous lidocaine 1:1:1. Check the lidocaine box, dosage form "suspension" and search for recipe. Select appropriate one. Click on green box for ingredient cost. It'll prompt you for each manufacturer of specific drug. Enter total Qty. Prepopulated recipes always fill in the beyond use date

Interesting. So a pharmacist at Walmart would never help at order entry presumably?

I still don't buy the extra liability part though, the pharmacist is already totally liable for every script they check. I am no pretend lawyer but I don't buy that I would have more liability for a script I type vs one someone else typed.

The argument is that verifying your own input is subject to cognitive bias, i.e., why would you type anything wrong? So the idea is you are deliberately engaging in risky behavior

Reactions: 1 users
The argument is that verifying your own input is subject to cognitive bias, i.e., why would you type anything wrong? So the idea is you are deliberately engaging in risky behavior

Oh no I get to Theory I just find it odd since most pharmacist I know will occasionally enter their own Scripts. And heck don't most hospitals have pharmacist do data entry? So for it to be literally against company policy at a major realtor pretty much shocks me. I mean heck at CVS I didn't even always have an order entry Tech!

CVS definitely doesn't care but it is a problem at Walmart. It is not official policy like you will be written up for doing 10% or more input but literally "a pharmacist should not input unless there is a special need to maintain workflow," a vague-ass statement.

On the other hand Walmart kinda just pays lip service to order performance but CVS "cares" a lot more (WeCARE). WM does have metrics for RPH doing supportive personnel tasks and it can be considered inefficient for RPH doing input filling etc (LOL).

If you put a WeCARE score to Walmart pharmacies I bet 80% of them would be below 20.

Oh no I get to Theory I just find it odd since most pharmacist I know will occasionally enter their own Scripts. And heck don't most hospitals have pharmacist do data entry? So for it to be literally against company policy at a major realtor pretty much shocks me. I mean heck at CVS I didn't even always have an order entry Tech!

It's kind of hard to grasp it unless you've worked there. I know I didn't. Basically, the opening pharmacist arrives at 8am - one hour before the pharmacy opens at 9am. For the most part, during that hour all you're doing is input verification (4point) and visual verification. At CVS, as you know, those two are one queue. At Walmart, they are two separate queues. I have only had to do input at stores that are either very busy but have good workflow and good techs OR at other stores that just have careless techs and terrible and inefficient workflow. I will only do some Input if there is another pharmacist there. I let that pharmacist know that I will be doing Input and will turn off my 4Point light, so that he/she gets them.

The whole overlap thing sounds like a great thing and it is, if your partner is good. Otherwise, you might be doing visual verification on prescriptions whose Input was verified by a sloppy pharmacist and you might be verifying "wrong product". Ultimately, that would be a 4 point error but at the end of the day, none of us wants to dispense the wrong product.