Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thank you! So I suppose to save space, perhaps I can join them together into one category and in the "experience description" just list the dates of the awards?
Yes, I believe that would be a good idea.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
thank you! So I suppose to save space, perhaps I can join them together into one category and in the "experience description" just list the dates of the awards?
should i use bullet points to get the main points across or should i use complete sentences in paragraph format?
I'm struggling on what I should put as my three most meaningful activities
Currently:
semester abroad in French Polynesia (cultural interactions and independent field project)
Academic coordinator (expanded study group program)
dance choreographer
I am thinking about taking out my dance choreographer and replacing it with a shadowing experience because: it confirmed my interest in medicine, I got to see doctors in action both in clinic and the OR, and while I know that my three most meaningful dont have to be medically related, I thought having atleast one would be helpful since I am applying to med school... However, I've only been shadowing for a few weeks while I've been involved in dance for 3 years.
Lastly, would living in a student cooperative be something worth putting in my works and activities. I've lived in the coops for 2 years now and I've met some of the most interesting people in my life and have definitely shaped who I am today. Living in a coop also entail workshifts and a focus on sustainable living. Since I am already at 15 activities, I would take out my involvement in the Hepatitis B Project (only started this may, clinical work, vaccination and educational outreach to under-served asian populations. I only included it because I was hoping by the time interview hits, I will have gained some cool experiences so they can ask me about it then) Though, I could possible combine some of my activities so I do not have to take out the Hep B Project.
Thanks!
I'm struggling on what I should put as my three most meaningful activities
Currently:
semester abroad in French Polynesia (cultural interactions and independent field project)
Academic coordinator (expanded study group program)
dance choreographer
1) I am thinking about taking out my dance choreographer and replacing it with a shadowing experience because: it confirmed my interest in medicine, I got to see doctors in action both in clinic and the OR, and while I know that my three most meaningful dont have to be medically related, I thought having atleast one would be helpful since I am applying to med school... However, I've only been shadowing for a few weeks while I've been involved in dance for 3 years.
2) Lastly, would living in a student cooperative be something worth putting in my works and activities. I've lived in the coops for 2 years now and I've met some of the most interesting people in my life and have definitely shaped who I am today. Living in a coop also entail workshifts and a focus on sustainable living.
3) Since I am already at 15 activities, I would take out my involvement in the Hepatitis B Project (only started this may, clinical work, vaccination and educational outreach to under-served asian populations. I only included it because I was hoping by the time interview hits, I will have gained some cool experiences so they can ask me about it then) Though, I could possible combine some of my activities so I do not have to take out the Hep B Project.
1) It's hard to imagine that a brief experience could be more meaningful than the years of dance involvement. Adcomms might find it harder to believe also. Go with your heart.Any thoughts? Sorry I keep checking sdn for a response because I am working on this section right now... Thanks!
Adcomms like to see that you have stress-relieving activities. Go ahead and list the tae kwon do. And it's fine to group it with other hobbies, so long as you have enough space to say want you want to convey when sharing this information about yourself.Hey guys, I wanted to get your input on an activity that I would (possibly) like to include in my application. For the hobbies category, I was thinking about including an activity that I did throughout high school: I got my blackbelt in tae kwon do my senior year of high school. Although I no longer have time to train at my gym, I still like to practice my forms on my own and have continued to do so throughout college. Can I still write about this/is it worthwhile? Also, I was hoping to sort of "group" this with a more recent hobby that I picked up while in college: photography. During my study abroad semester in Spain, I decided to take a class in photography and fell in love with it. I love developing film and taking pictures. Thoughts?
The registrar of your school.Im sorry if this was asked earlier, I searched the thread though and didn't seem to find this question. My question is that when entering multiple awards and scholarships into a single section what I should put for contact information/number since those are required
Is is not required that you do so, but if you didn't fill in the hours per week, it's a good idea. Many do both.Should total hours be listed in the experience like for research, work or volunteering? Or is it okay to just leave the number of hours per week?
The Personal Statement prints out after the Experiences section, interestingly. I would expect that what is looked at first depends on the individual reader. Wouldn't you imagine that the PS is generally looked at first? If it's terrible, there's no need to waste time reading further. If it relates special circumstances, the ECs would be viewed with different eyes. If it's absolutely golden, weaker Experiences might be forgiven.A bit of a random question, but does the admissions committee generally review the Work/Activities section before reading the PS? Or do you think it completely depends on the school?
Here's a question.. how does one go about listing activities such as piano playing?
I've played since I was 4 years old.. and with some exception (broken limbs and a major head injury), have pretty much played daily since then. I took lessons until college, and for a year while I was in college. I haven't taken lessons since, although I do still play and teach myself pieces. Who would I even list as a contact for this? I could list the teacher I had in college... but that was 4 years ago at this point. Is it worth listing? It is certainly important to me and it would feel funny not to list it.
While I am certainly not a virtuoso or even really gifted at it, when I work my ass off on a piece I can play it quite beautifully.
Currently working on a Brahms Intermezzo and Beethoven's Pathetique Piano Sonata.
Thanks!
I have the exact same experience! My grandmother taught me from the age of 4 and I continue to play to this day, albeit not weekly. I listed it as an activity under "Extracurricular / Hobbies/ Avocations" and elaborated upon the experience in the description. I am aware that this is not an earth-shattering experience but I felt it was important to list it so as to somehow set me apart from the other applicants (at least, I hope it will)!😀
1) I would think you could make it sound more interesting than you just did. You could be translating directions to the bathroom for all I can tell.Experience name: Physician Shadowing.
Description:
I acted as a translator for Vietnamese patients who don't speak English.
1) Is this how I should list it?
2) If I get other kinds of shadowing in the future do I need to describe it? It seems to me shadowing is self explanatory or I really have to list what I see?
Most would put Shadowing under Other, since it is not a community service and helps no one but yourself. Volunteering is usually a community service and helps others through your actions. Sometimes the community service is clinical, and shadowing is embedded (like a volunteer medical translator, medical assistant, or scribe). In such a case one would designate the activity as a community service/volunteer and name it something that includes the word shadowing, so adcomms won't miss it.i listed my shadowing and volunteerng as "community service - medical" not "other" -- what are other ppl doing?
You can do it either way, depending on which makes the hours per week look better.I have some activities which I started since high school and keep continuing until now.
Shoud I use the start date as October 2004(high school) or
September 2007(university) ?
If it is September 2007, then can I just mention that
I started the activity since October 2004
on the experience description ?
The teacher would be fine as a contact, or if you play with others, you could use one of the other musicians.Here's a question.. how does one go about listing activities such as piano playing?
I've played since I was 4 years old.. and with some exception (broken limbs and a major head injury), have pretty much played daily since then. I took lessons until college, and for a year while I was in college. I haven't taken lessons since, although I do still play and teach myself pieces. Who would I even list as a contact for this? I could list the teacher I had in college... but that was 4 years ago at this point. Is it worth listing? It is certainly important to me and it would feel funny not to list it.
While I am certainly not a virtuoso or even really gifted at it, when I work my ass off on a piece I can play it quite beautifully.
Currently working on a Brahms Intermezzo and Beethoven's Pathetique Piano Sonata.
i'm currently trying to finalize my app so i can submit tomorrow or the day after. i am planning to print out my application so i can read it on paper before submitting.
when i try to print my app in HTML format, the work/activities section description combines all my "bulleted" points into a huge paragraph...is this how adcomms will see it? i entered the points in and started a new line for each bullet point, but its not showing that on the printed version. if its going to look like this to adcomms, i figure i should just rewrite all the descriptions in narrative form (even though i personally don't like this format). thoughts?
This was my exact question as seen above. For now, I just reverted to paragraph format to avoid issues with formatting. Good luck. Hopefully somebody can help us out.
REALLY AWESOME thread!
Kudos to you all!
Regarding the work section, I am starting a research job with a cancer center a week before I turn in my app. Should I be able to list it in the work/act section?
![]()
😍143😍
However, the line breaks are NOT shown in the html version of my app. Yet, the app is pristine in the .pdf version. Does this matter?
Formatting is not my area of expertise, but did you use the "Print Preview" button (from the main page) to see what it looks like?when i try to print my app in HTML format, the work/activities section description combines all my "bulleted" points into a huge paragraph...is this how adcomms will see it? i entered the points in and started a new line for each bullet point, but its not showing that on the printed version. if its going to look like this to adcomms, i figure i should just rewrite all the descriptions in narrative form (even though i personally don't like this format). thoughts?
You are obliged to enter a start and end date, but you can name the activity (eg) "Intermittent Physician Shadowing," averaging the hours over the entire time frame, and then explaining in the narrative that you took 3 months off. Or, if the hours /week would be less than 1, don't enter the hours/week, explain the variation in time involved, and list the total hours in the narrative. Or do both.Appreciate all the hard work people have put into this thread so far.
I had a quick question on how to enter in starting / end dates for certain activities that I have maybe done for a month, taken a few months off, and then returned to for a few weeks. It seems disingenuous to list it as starting / ending over that whole time period, but also just listing start / end for the first month would be wrong...how would you guys do it, just not list a start / end date and clarify in the description area?
How did you do your bullets points? I used MS word to make them then copy and paste into AMCAS; they come out just fine in the pdf print.i'm currently trying to finalize my app so i can submit tomorrow or the day after. i am planning to print out my application so i can read it on paper before submitting.
when i try to print my app in HTML format, the work/activities section description combines all my "bulleted" points into a huge paragraph...is this how adcomms will see it? i entered the points in and started a new line for each bullet point, but its not showing that on the printed version. if its going to look like this to adcomms, i figure i should just rewrite all the descriptions in narrative form (even though i personally don't like this format). thoughts?
i'm currently trying to finalize my app so i can submit tomorrow or the day after. i am planning to print out my application so i can read it on paper before submitting.
when i try to print my app in HTML format, the work/activities section description combines all my "bulleted" points into a huge paragraph...is this how adcomms will see it? i entered the points in and started a new line for each bullet point, but its not showing that on the printed version. if its going to look like this to adcomms, i figure i should just rewrite all the descriptions in narrative form (even though i personally don't like this format). thoughts?
I've read that this happens because a hard return is counted as equal to two characters.some people were getting cut off at 694 characters (not 700). is that still happening to people or has it been solved?
yttikyellow, what if you just put a "-" (hypen) to begin each bullet point? does that work?
also, earlier i heard that after converting to the pdf and going back to the amcas to make edits some people were getting cut off at 694 characters (not 700). is that still happening to people or has it been solved?
Also what do you call the head professor of a lab? We usually call him big cheese and I don't think that should go on amcas.
can I join your lab?How are you guys putting the contact info for volunteer activities that are grouped together?
Thanks!I put in the first name, last name box "refer to description" then list everything in the description box.
An alternative is to pick the activity that was most recent, or of longest duration, or most meaningful, and use that activity to fill in the contact info, time frame, and hours. Then, in the description, list the first activity first, then say "Also:" and list the time frame, contact info, hours, and description for the 2nd activity.How are you guys putting the contact info for volunteer activities that are grouped together?
Hmmm, I'm debating if I should split some of this up since I have 2 entries left....but it would be for activities <100 hours, so I'm not sure if the adcoms are going to think I'm BSing to fill space.An alternative is to pick the activity that was most recent, or of longest duration, or most meaningful, and use that activity to fill in the contact info, time frame, and hours. Then, in the description, list the first activity first, then say "Also:" and list the time frame, contact info, hours, and description for the 2nd activity.
Either way, the title of the description should apply to both activities if they're lumped together
Thanks!
holy **** I have like no room to describe the activities with the contact info there.
Yes, I think im just going to have something like volunteering & volunteering pt2 & volunteering pt 3 for the experience names.Then try grouping 2 at a time. If that still doesn't have enough room then maybe try to be more concise with the description.
1) It's best they are listed separately, unless you are desperate for space.1) I was a teaching assistant/review session leader for both Organic Chemistry and Biology. I was also a one-on-one tutor through my school for both classes. Both were done by separate offices and were separate jobs. I've listed them separately but should they be together?
2) I volunteered as a tour guide/student ambassador for my college's admission department during the school year (sophomore, junior, senior years) and it took up a good amount of time so I want to include it. However, I also worked a summer with the office and they paid me for that time. How should I list it?
3) I was a research assistant for credit in an emergency room my junior year (I basically helped sign patients up for clinical studies). However, there was a lot of downtime so I used the opportunity to shadow doctors and help around the ER. I didn't get paid for any of it except I got some research credit. Should I put it down as research or clinical volunteer? (I also have 15 months research in a lab).
4) Later this summer, I am traveling to Latin America with a non-profit group from my school that I joined a while ago. The trip will mostly include health education in a village. However, I haven't had the trip yet and since it's not until August, I would want to submit before that. Do I still include/how would I talk about this experience? I studied abroad before (for a summer in France) but it was just taking classes, cultural interactions, and learning a new language. I have been lucky to travel to many places around the world (mainly because my relatives live all over -- Asia, Africa, Europe) and I enjoy experiencing new cultures but I don't know if that's something to talk about.
5) How would you title an entry for a merit scholarship (obtained during college) and induction into honor society?
6) I joined a dance team my freshman year of college and it took up a lot of my time because a) practices went on for a while and b) we also volunteered in the community at a local Boys&Girls Club. I want to put this as 'Artistic Endeavor' but would it be more apt to put it as Volunteering even though I have a few of those already (including one that's one of the 3 most meaningful)?
7) I did lab research for over a year and spent a good number of hours in lab during that time (12-16 hours per week while taking a full load). However, while I enjoyed working in lab at the time, I didn't like the experience. I still want to put it on my work/activities because it took up a lot of my time, but how can I say that I didn't like it while still being "nice" about it. Right now I have something along the lines of, "I enjoyed the intellectual challenges behind my work and found the experience humbling when my experiments did not go as planned. I now understand the great deal of work that goes into these fields and foresee myself enjoying it once I have gained a deeper understanding of my work once in medical school"
1) When discussing a Research entry, it is appropriate to to describe the purpose of the research and what you personally did.1) When entering research, what do I put in the description box? Should I put a summary of the abstract? The Title of the research? Do I need to put ALL the authors (a lot)??? I'm kinda stumped on this one. I basically put what I did, but not really what the research was about. I'm hoping it comes up in the interview, lol. Should I put it in the description??
2) Also... this question is kinda off topic for the thread, but when listing the schools I want AMCAS sent to, can someone explain the whole thing behind listing one school, then later adding onto it? How does this work? Do you have to send another check in to pay for the additional schools later? The thing is, I know 2 schools to apply to, but I want more time to look into others.
Adcomms like to see that you have stress-relieving activities. Go ahead and list the tae kwon do. And it's fine to group it with other hobbies, so long as you have enough space to say want you want to convey when sharing this information about yourself.


Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.