Tips for studying P-Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caffein3

Projection Room above the Auditorium
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone here who has taken P-Chem 1 and 2 give some tips on what methods you used to study for this beast of a class? Just had my first day of class and I'm a little worried. I did well in all my calculus classes (As) but my basics of physics isn't the best. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Concerning science courses, no matter what class it is (bio,chem,physics,math), I have the following philosophy:

1. Identify high yield material (i.e. stuff that will be on the exam) as opposed to low yield (things that the professor considers not too important for the course)
2. Find the sections in your textbook that teaches these high yield items and do every single practice problems you can find in the textbook and past exams.
3. Finally, review these same exact problems you just did the day before/morning of an exam - this will give you the confidence needed to avoid test anxiety and will also remind you of any weird "tricks" associated with a certain problem.

The philosophy has been 100% foolproof for me personally - and again, it's great because it applies to ALL science prereqs. Before I knew of this method, I got D+ in singlevar calc, B in multivar calc, B in pchem I. After I figured it out, everything was all A/A-. Physics A+,A,A- // Chem A-,A,A-,A- // Bio A,A,A,A // Stats A. Science gpa went from 2.15 to 3.61 from freshmen fall quarter to sophomore spring quarter. I know it seems braggy, but since this is an anonymous forum I wanted to share this because it works for me very well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I felt the first chapter of P-chem 1 was much more daunting than the rest of the semester (Probably nerves). Our professor didn't give us formula sheets for multiple choice so I memorized all those (helped in learning the material much more comprehensively also). Agree with Mr. Pitt and practice your a** off.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone here who has taken P-Chem 1 and 2 give some tips on what methods you used to study for this beast of a class? Just had my first day of class and I'm a little worried. I did well in all my calculus classes (As) but my basics of physics isn't the best. Thanks!

Use the McQuarrie textbook and do a lot of practice problems from there. Atkins is a good reference as well. From there, you will be able to master concepts on thermodynamics, rate kinetics and quantum chemistry to do well on exams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Always always always jot anything possible down on your test or any partial step or part of a problem down. There was never any rhyme or reason for me as to where I would get partial credit for questions on tests. Those which I felt really confident about a number of times would be the disasters where I would end up with 6/20's. Those I had absolutely no clue what I was doing and jotting down what I thought was useless stuff or complete garbage were the one's where I would pull 17/20's on questions out of my a-- on a number of occassions. It never made any sense; neither did the tests where we had multiple ones with averages in the 30's and getting a 60 would call for a celebration.

The best thing I can tell you is do not spend too much time on any one question. If you are struggling endlessly with that one question, odds are everyone else in the class is as well. And that one question you hate isn't going to be what brings your grade down; its the time you spend on it and the time it takes away from every other question. If you can't get a good feel for a question after 15 minutes on it, spending another 15 likely won't help. The difference between getting a 6/20 to a 8/20 by spending another 15 min on that question just isn't worth it. You just gotta let go and realize even if you spend more time the effort you put into that question just won't be worth what it costs.

Last edited:

Hopefully you are taking PChem for your required major rather than for med school reasons...

Reactions: 2 users
If you can't get a good feel for a question after 15 minutes on it, spending another 15 likely won't help. The difference between getting a 6/20 to a 8/20 by spending another 15 min on that question just isn't worth it. You just gotta let go and realize even if you spend more time the effort you put into that question just won't be worth what it costs.
That's when you go ask your prof about it ;)

It's a lost cause. Just give up. The pain isn't worth it. +pissed+

Reactions: 1 users
lol - just do practice problems. You'll be fine if you were good in math.

If it helps your nerves, PChem ended up being one of my favorite classes and I didn't find it that difficult.

Hopefully you are taking PChem for your required major rather than for med school reasons...
Haha yes, it's for my major. Thanks for all the tips guys. Definitely gonna just do an incredible amount of practice problems. And I'll try out everyone's small quirky tips.

The first day of class was certainly intimidating. At least advanced analytical seemed fun.