Tips for the first time I meet and start shadowing a veterinarian.

Started by 472314
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

472314

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys I've done some research in regards to shadowing and the big points I learned was that

1.) Wear scrubs
2.) Treat vet-techs with the uttermost respect as a veterinarian
3.) Find a veterinarian who's happy with their job and knows what they're doing.

But I still am curious on a few issues.

Let's start off when I first ask a veterinarian to shadow what else should I ask him? Should I ask them if they're willing to write me a STRONG eLOR for me when I apply to veterinary school. Should I address that I want to watch you doing your job and not up in the front as your secretary?

Also I've noticed several of the users on this site were actually working with vet techs rather than the veterinarian themselves. Is that counted as veterinary experience? Also would that mean the vet techs would be writing me an eLOR or the veterinarian themselves? But if that was the case how could the vet write me a good eLOR when I'm working with a tech?
 
Hi guys I've done some research in regards to shadowing and the big points I learned was that

1.) Wear scrubs

I cant answer the rest but to this I would say - not nessercerrily. Much easier to ask them before hand what they would like you to wear. A lot of vets I know wear smart casual office dressing for consults etc, and might not want to take you into the consult room if you wore scrubs (I know some pretty uptight vets! LOL 🙄). So I think your best bet with what to wear is actually to ask them what they'd like - that way you can't go wrong.
 
Hi guys I've done some research in regards to shadowing and the big points I learned was that

1.) Wear scrubs
2.) Treat vet-techs with the uttermost respect as a veterinarian
3.) Find a veterinarian who's happy with their job and knows what they're doing.

But I still am curious on a few issues.

Let's start off when I first ask a veterinarian to shadow what else should I ask him? Should I ask them if they're willing to write me a STRONG eLOR for me when I apply to veterinary school. Should I address that I want to watch you doing your job and not up in the front as your secretary?

Also I've noticed several of the users on this site were actually working with vet techs rather than the veterinarian themselves. Is that counted as veterinary experience? Also would that mean the vet techs would be writing me an eLOR or the veterinarian themselves? But if that was the case how could the vet write me a good eLOR when I'm working with a tech?

I cant answer the rest but to this I would say - not nessercerrily. (I know some pretty uptight vets! LOL 🙄).

👍Sunshine! Definitely agree.

When you show up at a vets office to ask to shadow, wear something dressy. Not an interview suit, but something classy. Talk to the vet and address your concerns and questions then. Tell them you'd like to apply to vet school in the near future, and that's why you want to shadow them. When you 'shadow a vet' they know what it means. They won't stick you with the secretaries answering phones. That'd be an irrelevant question.

Working under registered vet techs, I believe is still veterinary experience. However there is no way you'll go to a vet's office, and shadow a vet tech if you tell them you want to shadow the VET. They are two completely different jobs.

As far as eLORs are concerned, most schools require one from a vet. Preferably one you've worked under. Vet tech eLORs would be fine, I'm sure, but would NOT fulfill the "DVM" that is (probably going to be) required to write you an eLOR. You can get anyone else you want to write you one in addition to the DVM. 🙂

Don't ask them to ask you a strong eLOR before they ever see you work. That would be very rude, in my opinion. "Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy, but would you write me an AWESOME eLOR?!!!"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can get anyone else you want to write you one in addition to the DVM. 🙂


I just wanted to point out that this differs among schools rather greatly. Some school I applied to required 3 DVMs, some required a DVM, a professor, and a supervisor, etc. Just make sure you look into it. I think AVMA has it on their website.
 
ok Thanks Sunshinevet I'll ask the manager of the clinic/veterinarian what I should wear.

Thanks for all the answers abbercadaver I greatly appreciate it.

ok Emilo I'll look into it but idk even where I want to apply yet. So few schools around the country and a lot to consider but thanks Emilo.
 
The vet I shadowed for had me dress in scrubs when we would be spending the day in surgery. And then he would have me wear casual attire when we would be seeing appointments. He told me that since I was his shadow, he wanted me to present myself the way a vet would!

As for vet experience/vet tech experience. I know that alot of us have jobs in hospitals as vet assistants or kennel techs, with other vet techs. So, we would be working with them for a good portion of the day, but we're still working for the veterinarian. Unfortunately when you actually have a job in the hospital, you have to actually work and can't just follow the doctor around during all the interesting cases!!
 
Both clinics I have shadowed for have me wear scrubs, even during the appointments. I do not think you should bring up the eLOR until you have gotten to know the vet better. I've done about 40 hours of shadowing so far, and I am definitely not ready to ask any of them for that yet.
 
ok Thanks Sunshinevet I'll ask the manager of the clinic/veterinarian what I should wear.

Thanks for all the answers abbercadaver I greatly appreciate it.

ok Emilo I'll look into it but idk even where I want to apply yet. So few schools around the country and a lot to consider but thanks Emilo.

28 really isn't THAT small of a number to be honest. And with so many being accredited overseas now? You know you'll be applying to your in state, and probably the ones that accept the most OOS, so you can look at those schools now and get an idea of what you need to do between now and applications. Just some food for thought.

Shadowing counts as vet experience, and most vets will let you follow them. You just need to realize that if they push you out of the way or don't ask you to do something even though you are standing right there, it's nothing personal, it's more a liability issue, and you aren't being paid like the techs. My best advice to you is not just follow the vets either. You will learn a TON from techs, and on a slow day then will probably teach you how to do some stuff.

Don't ask the vet to write you an eLOR unless you shadow them/ work for them for a while. There is no way they can know you well enough and your strengths before you even get there. And you may not get along with them, so asking before could result in a bad eLOR.

I usually wear khakis and a polo when in clinics, and a nametag. Usually they have scrubs you can borrow, or will tell you when you need to wear them.
 
Also I've noticed several of the users on this site were actually working with vet techs rather than the veterinarian themselves. Is that counted as veterinary experience? Also would that mean the vet techs would be writing me an eLOR or the veterinarian themselves? But if that was the case how could the vet write me a good eLOR when I'm working with a tech?

That's how my shadowing experience went. It was kind of an unusual situation; they were a relatively large clinic, and didn't really want a pre-vet underfoot, but I kept pestering and eventually got on the good side of one of the senior techs. She already did a shadowing program for tech-students, so she got clearance for me to be there through that. I was "shadowing" her in that I could only be there on days when she was working and I always tried to help her out with any scut work that I could pick up. In return, she kept an eye out for interesting cases, and would always send me in to observe those appointments or surgeries. It was good because I got to meet a lot of different vets (it was an 8 doctor practice) and get a feel for their different styles. Then, when application time rolled around, I approached the vet I had the best rapport with and asked for an LOR. If he had said no, I had two or three back-ups in mind. So, the upside is that I got to meet a lot of vets, but the downside is that I didn't have the freedom to ask them the kinds of questions I might have asked had I been shadowing one vet exclusively.

If you find yourself in this situation, you can still end up cultivating some good relationships with vets. Be friendly. Be flexible. Be upfront about your interests and goals. I think that's good to keep in mind for any shadowing experience.
 
Guys when I'm shadowing a veterinarian. Will the veterinarian tell me what's he doing or should I ask him during the procedure or after the procedure?
 
Guys when I'm shadowing a veterinarian. Will the veterinarian tell me what's he doing or should I ask him during the procedure or after the procedure?

Nobody can answer that question except the vet you're shadowing. Some vets like to talk while they work. Some prefer to talk before/after a procedure. It's just like anyone else - some people can chitchat while focused on other things, some people can't. One vet I hang with loves to talk non-stop during procedures. I think talking helps her think through what we're doing. Another vet at the same clinic would stab me with a dental elevator if I dared utter a word during a procedure - she loves to teach, just not when she's thinking/working.

Don't overthink this stuff. Pretend the vet you're with is a basically normal human being and you'll be ok. Ask yourself: "Is now a good time to ask?" and "Can I figure this out if I just think for another 2 seconds?"

If a client is present, I would err on the side of keeping your mouth shut until you get a feel for things. If there's a critical situation, I would keep your mouth shut AND melt into the wall. Other than that, you should be good to go.
 
Hello visitor, my new username will be USF Ahmad Eldee. I've done some mistakes by lashing out against some members because I didn't understand the rules of studentdoctor forums and I felt you guys were being too harsh. I want to extend my apologies to everybody that I'm sorry and my new account will signify a new me, who'll be a contributing member to the forums and ask questions ONLY until I can't get them answered through my research. I'm posting this on every single thread I've made to ensure that each member I've done wrong can see this and earn back the respect of the pre-veterinary community. Take care.
 
Last edited: