Tips On How to Do Well In Honors Chem Class

D

deleted421268

I will be a junior next year, and my schedule consists of all regular classes except for Science and Math which I will take honors in. Prior to this year I took academic physical science freshman year, academic bio sophomore year, and got recommended by science teacher last year for Honor Chem this year. I hope to take AP in science and Math senior year which will be my goal. Any tips on how to succeed in this Honors Chem Class??? If I took 8th grade serious i could have been taking honors physics now, but that was the past, and I have matured greatly as a student from then.

Members don't see this ad.

Do the homework problems and actually try to understand what you're doing. Don't simply go through the motions and expect to remember what to do on the test or quiz. Focus on learning the material, not just what your grade will be.

Learn the concept and the rest is application. You won't need to memorize as much as a biology class its a lot more math and application so if you learn how to apply each concept you will be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I recommend getting a jump start on learning the periodic table. My teacher made us memorize the entire thing before we could do anything else.

There's only about 30 that you will use regularly though...

Pray your teacher knows how to teach. My honors chem teacher taught the subject so badly that I honestly was lose beyond belief. But yah, try to pay attention, do the work, try to relate it to life.

Although I recommend getting a jump start on learning the periodic table. My teacher made us memorize the entire thing before we could do anything else.

There's no point in memorizing the periodic table, you'll actively learn the names and properties of relevant chemicals when you come into contact with them. In my opinion a good chem class should start out from general concepts, i.e electron affinity, electronegativity, atomic ratio, physical properties and then move onto specific chemicals and their corresponding reactions ( Heads up, most chemicals in periods have similar reactivity and usually can be used similarly, i.e Sulfur and Oxygen, so knowing every chemical is even more useless).

I know but my teacher was a dick and got her kicks off of us seeing us struggle to learn the whole thing in two weeks.

My teacher was amazing! I learned so much, blew the ACS final out of the water, and on the last day, we made ice cream with liquid Nitrogen and froze/broke things.

Just started Chem Honors. Have to memorize Conversion chart I.E Nano to Centi etc
pretty annoying but whatevrr

Just started Chem Honors. Have to memorize Conversion chart I.E Nano to Centi etc
pretty annoying but whatevrr

Probably one of the only things you will actually take out of high school chemistry and use in college.