Tips on Tablet and microsoft OneNote

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellopharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the OneNote program with a Tablet PC, thanks for sharing tips or any features you find helpful for class note-taking.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the time I download PDF and Powerpoint format files and listen to audio lectures as study aids to supplement my notes. I have thought about using a tablet pc and OneNote to supplement my overall learning experience but Id like to hear more experiences from current users.

Curious as to how effective this really is before I invest in an expensive tablet pc.

Most of the time I download PDF and Powerpoint format files and listen to audio lectures as study aids to supplement my notes. I have thought about using a tablet pc and OneNote to supplement my overall learning experience but Id like to hear more experiences from current users.

Curious as to how effective this really is before I invest in an expensive tablet pc.

Hi, I cannot comment on the oneNote program since I have never heard of this. However, I, too, once had considered a tablet PC (primarily because I am a tech junkie at heart). I soon realized that when I study, I must study from paper (not computer screen...so ultimately, i'd be printing what I wrote on my tablet, defeating the purpose of owning one) and it must be in color (and I own a b/w laser printer...while I realize I can always print it in b/w and then highlight, I think that would somewhat defeat the purpose of owning a tablet). So before you invest, I think you should evaluate your study needs. Since I am a tech junkie at heart, maybe in the long-run when my SO and I have paid off our house, and living stably with kids, I will consider buying one just for fun (I'm sure they'll be cheaper then). Who knows, maybe i'll buy one in the near future for fun (after all, I do have quite a few paid vacation days saved up) :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a tablet and I absolutely loooove it. I created different folders in OneNote for each class. That was I can keep my handwritten notes organized for each class ( I love not having to keep track of paper). Mostly I take notes directly on power point presentation instead of using OneNote.

I'm planning to buy a tablet PC for next year. I'll have to exercise disipline to keep from getting distracted by the online stuff I usually get distracted by. I'll do that by disabling my access to the network.

I've used almost two reams of paper this year (not counting the tree's worth that the professor brings in on exam days). Since our lecture notes are all in electronic format, there's no reason for me not to take notes electronically as well.

Gaba101 brings up a valid point. Sometimes I find that I don't pay as close attention to electronic documents as a do a hard copy. I think that's mostly a question of habit. Habits can be broken as evidenced by my use of electronic copies of journal articles. I almost never have a hard copy of those.

I have a tablet and I absolutely loooove it. I created different folders in OneNote for each class. That was I can keep my handwritten notes organized for each class ( I love not having to keep track of paper). Mostly I take notes directly on power point presentation instead of using OneNote.

Thanks everybody!

How do you directly write on powerpoint? It seems that the only place I was able to write on slides was the note section of a slide, but not at the exact locations in a slide I want to write down any remarks.

I do find you can copy and paste things into OneNote and write on the side.

If you know how to directly write on opened PDF or slides, please share.

Thanks everybody!

How do you directly write on powerpoint? It seems that the only place I was able to write on slides was the note section of a slide, but not at the exact locations in a slide I want to write down any remarks.

I do find you can copy and paste things into OneNote and write on the side.

If you know how to directly write on opened PDF or slides, please share.

In powerpoint if you go under View->Toolbars make sure ink annotations is selected. That will give you a little pen icon on the toolbar, using that you can select ink color, highlighter etc. As far as writing on PDF files you would need a different version of acrobat software that you have to pay for.