Tips On Tooth Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear Dr.Dai Phan,

I have a question regarding the crown preparation.

If the college just mentions that a Ceramometal crown preparation on the molar then wat should be the finish lines be? There is no mention of 3/4 or 7/8crown...
Are we supposed to go prepared for both or the prepation should have a shoulder buccally and chamfer lingually?

Please clear this doubt. Thank you:)

sdent

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Dr.Dai Phan,

I have a question regarding the crown preparation.

If the college just mentions that a Ceramometal crown preparation on the molar then wat should be the finish lines be? There is no mention of 3/4 or 7/8crown...
Are we supposed to go prepared for both or the prepation should have a shoulder buccally and chamfer lingually?

Please clear this doubt. Thank you:)

sdent

For the all metal such as the FGC, the margins should be chamfer. Now, for the PFM (metal-ceramic), the lingual should be chamfer because this part is in metal. The facial should be a shoulder because porcelain cannot rest on a chamfer margin because it will crack. People who ask for a porcelain margin on a chamfer prep will often find that the porcelain margins crack as the person attempts to seat it. You however can have a deep chamfer margin if the porcelain is backed with a metal layer as in posterior molars. In the anteriors where a metal backing would make an ugly crown, shoulder margin is required. For 3/4 and 7/8 crowns, the lingual margins are chamfer because this part is in metal. However in the buccal cusp area it will have a bevel margin so that the metal margin can feather into the tooth structure smoothly. DP

The boxes of the onlays should be divergent toward the occlusal like the angulation of your crown preps. The reason is that you can withdraw the pattern from the cast. Using carbide bur in my opinion in harder than using a small tapered diamond. In the hands of the beginner, you tend to gouge the preps (and opposing tooth) since these cut more efficicient than the diamond. Try the diamond and you will see that your chance of "tooth burning" is reduced. The reason of burning the tooth is you held too long and pressing too hard at the surface. Next time, ease up the pressure and go easy on the pedal too will help. DP

THANKS IVORINEDUST & DR. DAI PHAN FOR YOUR HELP AND ADVICE
But , for the prep part that you talked about, crown preps are little convergent, right??

Members don't see this ad :)

THANKS IVORINEDUST & DR. DAI PHAN FOR YOUR HELP AND ADVICE
But , for the prep part that you talked about, crown preps are little convergent, right??

Right, the crown preps must have slight convergence of the axial walls while inlays and onlays boxes must be divergence so the restorations can be seated and removed (from the dies). Alloy boxes must be convergence so the material can be "locked" in. Remember that we are talking from gingival to occlusal direction. DP

hi guys
i would like o add alittle bit info from my side.if u r going for pfm, u can start with a heavy chamfer on the facial/buccal with 856 (016)diamond( brasseler) and extend it just lingual to the contacyt areas and go with ahalf chamfer from thereon. after u r done with that, use u'r cylinderic diamond( 846,016) to convert the facial?buccal heavy chamfer to shoulder. this minimises the chances of any undercuts.

hi guys
i would like o add alittle bit info from my side.if u r going for pfm, u can start with a heavy chamfer on the facial/buccal with 856 (016)diamond( brasseler) and extend it just lingual to the contacyt areas and go with ahalf chamfer from thereon. after u r done with that, use u'r cylinderic diamond( 846,016) to convert the facial?buccal heavy chamfer to shoulder. this minimises the chances of any undercuts.

Hi gag:

What bur do you use for the "transition", the junction of the shoulder and chamfer? This is usually a troublesome area for me--we all know that underprepping that area will cause the PFM crown to be overcontoured at the gingival papilla and cause all sorts of problems...which brings me to the next question for Dr. Phan:

"To wing, or not to wing?"...

Thanks.

Ivorinedust

"Apolonia, relieve my toothache!"

Hi gag:

What bur do you use for the "transition", the junction of the shoulder and chamfer? This is usually a troublesome area for me--we all know that underprepping that area will cause the PFM crown to be overcontoured at the gingival papilla and cause all sorts of problems...which brings me to the next question for Dr. Phan:

"To wing, or not to wing?"...

Thanks.

Ivorinedust

One thing you need to consider is that you can convert from chamfer to shoulder but not from shoulder to chamfer unless the margin is lowered. That's why always give yourself at least 1.0 mm away from the gingival to allow room for "refining". Another point to consider is where would you put the junction between the chamfer and shoulder? Buccal or lingual or in the center? Think about that... I will post the response after I heard what you have to say... DP

BTW: To wing or not to wing? I am at loss to your inquiry.

One thing you need to consider is that you can convert from chamfer to shoulder but not from shoulder to chamfer unless the margin is lowered. That's why always give yourself at least 1.0 mm away from the gingival to allow room for "refining". Another point to consider is where would you put the junction between the chamfer and shoulder? Buccal or lingual or in the center? Think about that... I will post the response after I heard what you have to say... DP

BTW: To wing or not to wing? I am at loss to your inquiry.

Hi Doc Phan:

I would say lingual to the contact area so you can get some bulk of porcelain there for esthetics and gingival health. If placed buccally then the junction allows little space for the metal, opaquer and porcelain. This will result to an "opaque" and unnatural looking restoration at the proximals, since the porcelain there is thin. Or the metal backing will show on the proximals. Besides the lab guy may have to overcontour this area to compensate for the thinness of the porcelain, compromising the periodontium. .. Just a guess.

To wing or not to wing? I was pertaining to the two designs of PFM,
Doc. One is the more common, where the shoulder margins blend with the chamfer at the transition--no wing. The other one is to create a uniform shoulder and a uniform chamfer and they meet ubruptly at the proximal. The difference in the width of these margins will cause a "wing" on the proximal junction, as described by Schillinburg, who mentioned that it will provide some resistance to torque, or turning of the crown, aside from conserving tooth structure.

Thanks!!!!

Ivorinedust

Hi Doc Phan:

I would say lingual to the contact area so you can get some bulk of porcelain there for esthetics and gingival health. If placed buccally then the junction allows little space for the metal, opaquer and porcelain. This will result to an "opaque" and unnatural looking restoration at the proximals, since the porcelain there is thin. Or the metal backing will show on the proximals. Besides the lab guy may have to overcontour this area to compensate for the thinness of the porcelain, compromising the periodontium. .. Just a guess.

To wing or not to wing? I was pertaining to the two designs of PFM,
Doc. One is the more common, where the shoulder margins blend with the chamfer at the transition--no wing. The other one is to create a uniform shoulder and a uniform chamfer and they meet ubruptly at the proximal. The difference in the width of these margins will cause a "wing" on the proximal junction, as described by Schillinburg, who mentioned that it will provide some resistance to torque, or turning of the crown, aside from conserving tooth structure.

Thanks!!!!

Ivorinedust

Excellent reply on my question. I can see a future prosthodontist in you. Regarding wing or no wing, I can see that wing design will have more resistance and more bulk of porcelain but if your prep is right, I do not see that it makes a difference. Now if you tapered your prep severely then the wing design makes more sense. Since the porcelain is baked into the metal structure, it will be enough for strength for the no wing design. So what all of this mumbo jumbo means? If your prep is ideal, either design is OK in my book. DP

A very big thank you to Ivorine dust and Dr. Dai Phan !!
This post is indeed amazingly helpful!! :clap: :clap:

And great tip from gag :thumbup:

thanks
sdent

hi Ivorinedust
i use 856(014 or 016) at the transition . by the way , this is one of the best posts here. i remember all my doubts which i used to have when i prepared for my clinical exams and i was not lucky enough to have an angel like Dr Dai Phan. i'll try to put some efforts from my side as well just to help Dr Dai Phan[ though he/she is the best one out there}

This thread is too helpfull , it needs to be bumped up!

Thank you guys!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent reply on my question. I can see a future prosthodontist in you. Regarding wing or no wing, I can see that wing design will have more resistance and more bulk of porcelain but if your prep is right, I do not see that it makes a difference. Now if you tapered your prep severely then the wing design makes more sense. Since the porcelain is baked into the metal structure, it will be enough for strength for the no wing design. So what all of this mumbo jumbo means? If your prep is ideal, either design is OK in my book. DP

Dr. Dai Phan

In PFM, WE HAVE CHAMFER ON LINGUAL AND SHOULDER ON FACIAL.IN COMPLETE CERAMIC CROWN, WHAT MARGIN DO WE HAVE ON LINGUAL??
Can we have shoulder on lingual/Or deep chamfer??

Another point to consider is where would you put the junction between the chamfer and shoulder? Buccal or lingual or in the center?

The way I have learnt is that shoulder and chamfer merge "buccal to the contact area"because to merge,shoulder needs to extend till that area & I don't remember ever studying /learning of taking shoulder all the way on proximal till lingual to contact area.

Also, when do we bevel the lingual chamfer margin??In which prep?

Quoting Dentzy:

The way I have learnt is that shoulder and chamfer merge "buccal to the contact area"because to merge,shoulder needs to extend till that area & I don't remember ever studying /learning of taking shoulder all the way on proximal till lingual to contact area.

Hi Dentzy:

I did a little reading last night(Tooth Preparations for Metal, Etc. by Schillingburg and Jacobi) and verified that you indeed need to set the junction a little lingual to the contact--specially on an anterior PFM. The reason is the same as I guessed--for esthetics. A thin porcelain on the bucco-proximal will look "opaque".

Maybe for the distal of a posterior tooth, you can set the junction buccally if you like, but patients would not appreciate a lackluster restoration. And I don't know how the examiners will judge that. Comments, Dr. Phan?

Thanks.

Ivorinedust.

Quoting Dentzy:

Hi Dentzy:

I did a little reading last night(Tooth Preparations for Metal, Etc. by Schillingburg and Jacobi) and verified that you indeed need to set the junction a little lingual to the contact--specially on an anterior PFM. The reason is the same as I guessed--for esthetics. A thin porcelain on the bucco-proximal will look "opaque".

Maybe for the distal of a posterior tooth, you can set the junction buccally if you like, but patients would not appreciate a lackluster restoration. And I don't know how the examiners will judge that. Comments, Dr. Phan?

Thanks.

Ivorinedust.

On the anteriors, certainly the junction has to be lingual but in posteriors, it does not matter. Make sure there is equal amount of chamfer and shoulder so it "looks" right. DP

hi
i think for posteriors also we may need to extend it lingual to contact area if the patient has real wide smile.

Hi there, just wondering about the amount of reduction of a PFM crown if it's done on an upper premolar tooth, how much should the reduction be on the functional cusp and do we cover it with metal or both metal and ceramic? cheers.

I think this thead will be very useful for many of us preparing for practicals...so, UP!!!!! :thumbup:

Excellent thread!
Thanks a lot Dr.Phan.
Could you pls give us more detailed information about Inlay & Onlay tooth preps.

Excellent thread!
Thanks a lot Dr.Phan.
Could you pls give us more detailed information about Inlay & Onlay tooth preps.

This is an old thead, I don't know if Dr. Phan is participating in the forum now...It would be nice to have his advice...

Dr. P is quite active on SDN. Feel free to PM him, and maybe even ask him to post his answers on this thread so everyone else can benefit from his responses as well.

Hi there, just wondering about the amount of reduction of a PFM crown if it's done on an upper premolar tooth, how much should the reduction be on the functional cusp and do we cover it with metal or both metal and ceramic? cheers.
Hey every body! Last year I had an upper premolar for PFM. It was a Quebec licensure bench exam. The examiner explained exactly what they want and that particular task was to prepare a PFM with a lingual metal casp with 0.5 mm axial reduction and 1.5 mm functional cusp reduction. Because there are several diferent PFM preparations each one should be specified by the exam protocols.

Reactions: 1 user
dear dr.Dai Phan,
could you give us some advice about class III composite prep.what is the max
depth buccolingually?how much incisogingivally?should the prep look like a box exactly?which bur is better to use on typodont?
thanks alot

for class 2 do we have to prepare the LPG AND BPG ( lingual proximal groove and buccal pr....) IF yes do we have to extend it only on the axial wall or extend it right from the floor till the cavo surface like we do it case of onlay or inlay

Reactions: 1 user
getting it back to page 1 for the Cali schools practical test

can someone explain about 3/4 and 7/8 crowns?

Thank you so much to everyone that wrote their advice here, especially Dr. Phan, I hope you will continue helping us in the future...

On the anteriors, certainly the junction has to be lingual but in posteriors, it does not matter. Make sure there is equal amount of chamfer and shoulder so it "looks" right. DP
Thanks a lot for your detailed explanations Dr.Phan.They are extremely helpful.
Dr.Phan.can you please explain about the MOD - ONLAY prep too?

hi could u pls tell me where i could find teeth to practice tooth preparation.i am gonna have my exam in a few weeks and i need to practice.pls help me out.
Hello fellow dentists,

I used to tutor international applicants for advanced studies at Marquette University when I was resident so I now would like to share what I had done for others. Before we look into the details, you need to know the following:

1. Understand the type of margin for that particular type of preparation. Full gold coverage preparation is different from porcelain fused to metal (PFM) is different from all ceramic (AC) is different from veneers (V) etc… That is because of the type of material being used. Gold can be made very thin (0.5mm) in thickness and you will be OK. However, if you make your porcelain that thin, it will be brittle like rice paper and fail even before it is seated in the mouth! So PFM and AC require more reduction to allow for the materials and also for strength. If you prepare a tooth like a FGC and ask for porcelain, the material will either break as you attempt to seat in the mouth or the technician will call you and inform you that it can’t be done.

2. Understand the type of finish that the bur you are using will produce. For example, a rounded tip diamond bur will give you a chamfer finish and a blunt or flat ended tip will give you a shoulder finish. Those burs have different shapes because they are designed to serve a particular purpose so use them intelligently!

3. Understand the amount of occlusal reduction for the type of preparation. Gold as mentioned before can be made thin so you do not need to have reduction like you are preparing for PFM or AC coverage. Excessive occlusal reduction is one of major errors that will lower your grade.

4. Take your time and go slow. As you become competent, you can increase your speed. If you end up with a heavy shoulder for a FGC prep, how are you going to correct that?

5. Know what you want to achieve BEFORE you start!

Now, let’s look at the FGC criteria for tooth preparation.

a. FGC ( example #19):

Occlusal Reduction for Functional Cusp: 1.5 mm
Occlusal Reduction for Non-Functional Cusp: 1.0 mm
Axial Reduction: at least 1.0 mm but less than 3 mm.
Chamfer Margin of 0.5 mm. That means there are no sharp corners.
Functional Cusp bevel 1.0 mm in width.

b. PFM (example #19)

Occlusal Reduction for Functional Cusp: 2.0 mm
Occlusal Reduction for Non-Functional Cusp: 1.5 mm
Axial Reduction: At least 1.5 mm.
Shoulder Margin ( Radial Shoulder like a “stair” ) of 1.5 mm.
Chamfer Margin for the lingual since this part is in metal. Treat it
like a FGC here.
Functional bevel of 1.0 mm in width.

c. All Ceramic (example # 30)

Think of this as an all around PFM except the lingual is in porcelain.
Just copy what you did on the facial and apply to the lingual. The
reason why porcelain margin require a shoulder is for the support of
the material. Chamfer margin will result in a very thin porcelain layer
that will fail quickly!

TIPS:

1. Make your preparation smooth and free of jagged edges. Use your SLOW SPEED to refine your margin. First, the slow rotation of the bur will smooth out the surface out rather than cutting into the surface. Second, you do not have to fear about “slipping” and cause a gouge in the prep just before you turn the prep in! Start your prep on a high speed and finish your prep on a SLOW speed is my motto!

2. Avoid sharp corners or edges. Use a diamond bur on the SLOW speed will smooth these edges out and give it a “professional” look!

3. Avoid “Flat Top” preparation. In other words, you should be able to see facial and lingual cusps regardless of the type of preparation. Why? That is because you want to maximize the surface area for cement bonding and to prevent rotation of the crown. Plus, it simply looks better!

4. Follow the contour of the gingival in the mesial and distal areas. The margins of the preparation should NOT be straight across but should be higher occlusally in these areas because of the bone morphology and the attachment of soft tissues. What if you ignore this and make it straight across? You will GOUGE the plastic ( a major point reduction) and get into the biological space ( in real life application). Not too nice here.

5. Avoid excessive taper. Your prep should have a slight taper when viewed facial –lingually. How do you prevent overtapering ( another major point killer)? ALWAYS look at your bur on the side when you do the axial reduction. If you look at your bur from the top down (occlusal-gingivally), you may end up with excessive taper and not knowing it until too late!

6. How do you break contact without damaging the adjacent teeth? First use the wedge to push the teeth out. Second, use a matrix band to protect them. Finally, use a smallest diamond bur as these do less damage than a big one and gives you much less risk of over-tapering. Overtapering during breaking contact is a very common rookie mistake!

7. How do you correct minor “nicks” on the adjacent teeth? Swap them out when nobody is watching? No, use composite sandpaper strips to smooth them out.

8. Avoid "knife edge" margin where you can't physically see a definitive margin as this type of preparation has no place for any type of restoration. Guarantee to get your score lowered!

Well, here are the basic reviews of tooth preparation. You need to check what exactly the examiners want for a particular preparation such as bevel on the margin or so forth. Remember that once you know what you are looking for in a preparation, you can make what you want regardless of what type of burs they give you. Don’t get fixated on “what burs do I need for this and that” but rather know “ the proper criterias that are needed for that type of preparation ” . Good luck and let me know if I can be of some help. DP

Thanks. When you share what you know with other, It makes you a better person and a committed professional to your field of study. Thanks for your step by step intructions of gold crown prep. I am going to NSU to take bench test for the international dentist program. I am still worry about the class II amalgam prep on tooth 14. Is there any dvd or VHS media that I could use? Thanks.

Hello fellow dentists,

I used to tutor international applicants for advanced studies at Marquette University when I was resident so I now would like to share what I had done for others. Before we look into the details, you need to know the following:

1. Understand the type of margin for that particular type of preparation. Full gold coverage preparation is different from porcelain fused to metal (PFM) is different from all ceramic (AC) is different from veneers (V) etc… That is because of the type of material being used. Gold can be made very thin (0.5mm) in thickness and you will be OK. However, if you make your porcelain that thin, it will be brittle like rice paper and fail even before it is seated in the mouth! So PFM and AC require more reduction to allow for the materials and also for strength. If you prepare a tooth like a FGC and ask for porcelain, the material will either break as you attempt to seat in the mouth or the technician will call you and inform you that it can’t be done.

2. Understand the type of finish that the bur you are using will produce. For example, a rounded tip diamond bur will give you a chamfer finish and a blunt or flat ended tip will give you a shoulder finish. Those burs have different shapes because they are designed to serve a particular purpose so use them intelligently!

3. Understand the amount of occlusal reduction for the type of preparation. Gold as mentioned before can be made thin so you do not need to have reduction like you are preparing for PFM or AC coverage. Excessive occlusal reduction is one of major errors that will lower your grade.

4. Take your time and go slow. As you become competent, you can increase your speed. If you end up with a heavy shoulder for a FGC prep, how are you going to correct that?

a. FGC ( example #19):

b. PFM (example #19)

like a FGC here.

that will fail quickly!

TIPS:

1. Make your preparation smooth and free of jagged edges. Use your SLOW SPEED to refine your margin. First, the slow rotation of the bur will smooth out the surface out rather than cutting into the surface. Second, you do not have to fear about “slipping” and cause a gouge in the prep just before you turn the prep in! Start your prep on a high speed and finish your prep on a SLOW speed is my motto!

2. Avoid sharp corners or edges. Use a diamond bur on the SLOW speed will smooth these edges out and give it a “professional” look!

3. Avoid “Flat Top” preparation. In other words, you should be able to see facial and lingual cusps regardless of the type of preparation. Why? That is because you want to maximize the surface area for cement bonding and to prevent rotation of the crown. Plus, it simply looks better!

4. Follow the contour of the gingival in the mesial and distal areas. The margins of the preparation should NOT be straight across but should be higher occlusally in these areas because of the bone morphology and the attachment of soft tissues. What if you ignore this and make it straight across? You will GOUGE the plastic ( a major point reduction) and get into the biological space ( in real life application). Not too nice here.

5. Avoid excessive taper. Your prep should have a slight taper when viewed facial –lingually. How do you prevent overtapering ( another major point killer)? ALWAYS look at your bur on the side when you do the axial reduction. If you look at your bur from the top down (occlusal-gingivally), you may end up with excessive taper and not knowing it until too late!

6. How do you break contact without damaging the adjacent teeth? First use the wedge to push the teeth out. Second, use a matrix band to protect them. Finally, use a smallest diamond bur as these do less damage than a big one and gives you much less risk of over-tapering. Overtapering during breaking contact is a very common rookie mistake!

7. How do you correct minor “nicks” on the adjacent teeth? Swap them out when nobody is watching? No, use composite sandpaper strips to smooth them out.

8. Avoid "knife edge" margin where you can't physically see a definitive margin as this type of preparation has no place for any type of restoration. Guarantee to get your score lowered!

Well, here are the basic reviews of tooth preparation. You need to check what exactly the examiners want for a particular preparation such as bevel on the margin or so forth. Remember that once you know what you are looking for in a preparation, you can make what you want regardless of what type of burs they give you. Don’t get fixated on “what burs do I need for this and that” but rather know “ the proper criterias that are needed for that type of preparation ” . Good luck and let me know if I can be of some help. DP[Thanks a lot for the tips yoy gave doctor]

Hello fellow dentists,

a. FGC ( example #19):

b. PFM (example #19)

like a FGC here.

that will fail quickly!

TIPS:

Well, here are the basic reviews of tooth preparation. You need to check what exactly the examiners want for a particular preparation such as bevel on the margin or so forth. Remember that once you know what you are looking for in a preparation, you can make what you want regardless of what type of burs they give you. Don’t get fixated on “what burs do I need for this and that” but rather know “ the proper criterias that are needed for that type of preparation ” . Good luck and let me know if I can be of some help. DP

Dr. Phan thanks this was great help. Is there a kit available online where ideal preps are demonstrated (like UOP International Dentist kit). I am preparing for Pros interview and I am an international dentist in US so I cant practice anywhere before my interview. Thanks

Dear Dr. Phan,
Please can you guide me how to prepare an MO on tooth #14 that crosses the oblique ridge. M not able to determine how the cavity looks like.
Your input will be very valuable.
Thanking you in anticipation for your kind consideration.

can some one please advise which high speed handpiece one should buy for bench test.

@DR Phan, is the proper positioning when working on a class 2 MO number 19? I'm a righty . Thanks

What about wide finish lines that are still a bit above the CEJ? Is there a way to make it narrower?