Tips to survive flu season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charcoales

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you are the only RPh on duty in a mandatory counseling state... what are some tips to prevent complaints about wait times for consulting?

Members don't see this ad.

God we got high dose today... fml

Reactions: 2 users
Try to find a high volume flu clinic to help reach your goal faster. Or be a preceptor for local college so pharmacy student can give the shots assuming your state board allows interns to give flu shots.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work a lot of 13's so i'll share my tips. I make sure I get the consultations out of the way first. Train your techs to givw you a heads up that a patient is coming for a flu shot. You'll have about 10-15 min between the patient filling out some paper work, tech typing it up and then you verifying it. So get the consultations out of the way. When I have my flu shot all set up i'll look at my consultation window and if I see someone there i'll do the consult real quick if not I go out and give the shot and i'm right back. The shot only take a couple min if that out there. I've had family of 6-8's come out at the same time and never had a issue. Just plan ahead and you'll be ok. Always acknowledge the person at consultation though, even if you say you'll be right with them they won't mind.

I used to give shots at the consultation window. Best thing I ever did. All that lugging supplies out to the floor and back in was a waste of time. I just setup my consultation window for flu shots and didn't have to waste time getting supplies together, transporting, etc. Give it a try for a week and I guarantee you will never go back!

I used to give shots at the consultation window. Best thing I ever did. All that lugging supplies out to the floor and back in was a waste of time. I just setup my consultation window for flu shots and didn't have to waste time getting supplies together, transporting, etc. Give it a try for a week and I guarantee you will never go back!
This is a very good idea. We joke about just having me poking them with a needle while they are standing at the register to be rung up lol. I guess if they don't mind no privacy, this would be very efficient.

Reactions: 1 user
You gave injections standing up at your consultation set up?

Save time by not getting into any debates about how well this season will match or just don't say anything unchained would say & you should be fine

According to those 3 letter chain training modules, all the data entry and billing should only take 1 minute thinks corporate. Good luck training all techs to be able to do that correctly via protocol and not have to gather the correct billing card

Become a vaccine denier and respond to any talk of flu shots with a rant about how the strains are selected in Asia.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a very good idea. We joke about just having me poking them with a needle while they are standing at the register to be rung up lol. I guess if they don't mind no privacy, this would be very efficient.

This was a concern I had at first, but how private is it anyway? I never had any complaints.

You gave injections standing up at your consultation set up?

Save time by not getting into any debates about how well this season will match or just don't say anything unchained would say & you should be fine

According to those 3 letter chain training modules, all the data entry and billing should only take 1 minute thinks corporate. Good luck training all techs to be able to do that correctly via protocol and not have to gather the correct billing card

I remember when pharmacists educated patients as to how effective a medication was. This was before the profession was hijacked
by the vaccine industry. Now we are just glorified pharmaceutical reps. Before we were given the privilege of providing vaccinations we simply told patients to avoid people with the flu, wash your hands and practice good hygiene. You just keep being a good corporate slave RxVampire. My patients respect me for telling them the truth. Time will prove me right.

This makes me feel so professional. I'm glad I got this Doctorate so now I can feel like I'm part of the healthcare team. What a great idea! Please like my post. I'm a millennial and need reassurance.

This was a concern I had at first, but how private is it anyway? I never had any complaints.

We actually have a privacy screen. Some people have long sleeves on and have to remove their arm. Just because people don't complain doesn't mean they approved of your set-up. They just went elsewhere the next year.

We actually have a privacy screen. Some people have long sleeves on and have to remove their arm. Just because people don't complain doesn't mean they approved of your set-up. They just went elsewhere the next year.

That would have been fine with me. Sadly I did more vaccines year after year. Perhaps people appreciated being in and out in less than 15 minutes? Or maybe they just don't care. Who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)

Look at the range of possible influenza cases 140k-710k and deaths 12k-56k which basically means "we have no idea" and "lets just put big scary numbers on here". Also learn the difference between vaccine effectiveness and Vaccine Efficacy. Effectiveness is a lower bar. Vaccines have to pass lower safety standards vs standard medications to begin with because they are considered vital to the national health by politicians who were pain a lot of money. The flu vaccine is only effective in generating profits for the pharmaceutical industry.

This makes me feel so professional. I'm glad I got this Doctorate so now I can feel like I'm part of the healthcare team. What a great idea! Please like my post. I'm a millennial and need reassurance.
I'm someone with intern experience in a community pharmacy and more recent experience as a clinical pharmacist. Community pharmacists are part of the health care team. Because hospital experience is favored by residency programs and hospitals filling staffing positions, most pharmacists practicing in a hospital have no experience in a community pharmacy. I've seen pharmacists with no retail experience completely miss important issues when working on transitions of care policies. These pharmacists may have no idea that they aren't well rounded. Despite their gap in understanding, I've run into hospital pharmacists that look down on community practice. Community pharmacists shouldn't buy into the idea that they don't matter.

Lol. I do this too! At first techs would look at me with their mouths wide open, but they quickly close them back up when they see the customer is fine and even jokes with/about it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Removing your arm sounds painful.

If you have 5 people getting 1-2 live vaccines apiece at the same time people will just have to wait. Shoot a pt, counsel a patient. Counsel in between shots.

lol at you new folks who still respond to Unchained's crazy rantings

God we got flu shots on thursday and by friday they were secret calling stores to make sure we were using a flu greeting. Do the other districts have to set up their own 2 flu clinics with outside companies?

lol at you new folks who still respond to Unchained's crazy rantings
it reminds me of talking to a trump fan - no matter how much logic you try, the brainwashing makes it more likely to get a intelligent response from my dog. And he is dead.

"We offer flu shots anytime, but you will wait far less if you come back on..... (go look at schedule for intern shifts)"

Reactions: 1 users
We got our high dose shipment recently. Ugh.

Oregon protocols require you to have the patient sit, otherwise I'd totally do the shots at the consultation window.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Put a stool at the consultation window.

God we got flu shots on thursday and by friday they were secret calling stores to make sure we were using a flu greeting. Do the other districts have to set up their own 2 flu clinics with outside companies?

This secret calling is an insult to the profession. We've been reduced to upselling as if we were working the drive-thru at McDonalds. Mandating the Pharm D 20 years ago has moved the profession nowhere. We were told "no more lick, stick and pour in the future". It's the future and we're sticking people with a flu shot for which Vaccine Efficacy has not been established. You call this progress?