Tired of hearing about the Cleveland Clinic nurse's book????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBuckeyes913

Intoxicating
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those in Cle/CCF/UH (Or anyone hearing about the news):

Are you sick of everyone in the hospital constantly talking about this CCF OR nurse and her stupid book???????? I can't go from one dept. to the other without someone talking about it. If I have to hear one more thing about it I'm going to hurl myself off the KeyBank tower (figuratively speaking of course);)

Members don't see this ad.

What book? And what's a "CCF RN"?

I don't know what it means, either. After reading some excerpts I'd be tempted to tell her not to quit her day job, but I guess that's not an option since they sacked her. She's a seriously bad writer.

Here's a sample:

" Writing a book is an ambitious effort. It is in many ways my Shawshank Redemption. For years, I have drunk in stories, people, and experiences good and bad. There are colleagues and patients that have formed the me of me's. Sonic, or rather most, of these people are the unknown force behind the great reputation of the greatest open heart facility."

Any translators out there for whatever sort of English she's speaking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think CCF stands for Cleveland Clinic Foundation.

What's the title of this book? And what publisher doesn't hire editors? Reading that except was like swallowing broken glass then having diarrhea.

I don't know what it means, either. After reading some excerpts I'd be tempted to tell her not to quit her day job, but I guess that's not an option since they sacked her. She's a seriously bad writer.

Here's a sample:

" Writing a book is an ambitious effort. It is in many ways my Shawshank Redemption. For years, I have drunk in stories, people, and experiences good and bad. There are colleagues and patients that have formed the me of me's. Sonic, or rather most, of these people are the unknown force behind the great reputation of the greatest open heart facility."

Any translators out there for whatever sort of English she's speaking?

What a sad attempt at sounding intelligent and well-read.

She's CLEARLY not fooling anyone.

CCF= cleveland clinic foundation....... in short, some OR nurse from the Clinic wrote a book "Notes from the Mothership", talking about her life and experiences in the OR at the Clinic. The Clinic then fired her for writing the book and now everyone is making a big stink about it.

Reading that except was like swallowing broken glass then having diarrhea.

Now that's what I call writing!

The title of the book (I am not making this up) is Notes from the Mothership.

Amazon Listing for Book

The full title is: Notes From the Mothership The Naked Invisibles

...whatever the hell that means????

The "Editorial Reviews" are a joke, but some of the other reviews are pretty entertaining.

There is nothing worse than people who sacrifice simple plain English at the expense of sounding more intelligent than they are.

Amazon Listing for Book

The full title is: Notes From the Mothership The Naked Invisibles

...whatever the hell that means????

The "Editorial Reviews" are a joke, but some of the other reviews are pretty entertaining.

There is nothing worse than people who sacrifice simple plain English at the expense of sounding more intelligent than they are.

I'm fairly certain that both 5-star reviews are written by the author or a close associate. If you check, both reviewers have only ever posted 1 review. Also, both of the 5-star reviews seem to be written by individuals whose inability to write coherently is reminiscent of the author's.

There are more excerpts here. I should warn you that they're written as poorly as what was posted above.

Also, I don't believe she had an actual publisher for this book. I'm pretty sure her "Publisher" is a company that will publish a text for you if you e-mail them the .pdf. The Publisher's website isn't the most impressive. Note the last link on that page, and you'll see what I mean.

Ridiculous.

And yet some publisher took a chance on this book?

Doubly ridiculous.

Edit: ah, it's THAT kind of publisher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why was she fired? What's the gossip on that?

I'm fairly certain that both 5-star reviews are written by the author or a close associate. If you check, both reviewers have only ever posted 1 review. Also, both of the 5-star reviews seem to be written by individuals whose inability to write coherently is reminiscent of the author's.

This is my favorite part of the "review": Of course the physicians there do good works, but doing good works along does not justify the culture.

I'll have to remember that when I'm doing good works as a physician.

:rolleyes: Oh lord. Just what the reputation of nurses as professionals needs. We truly are our own worst enemy. :thumbdown:

:rolleyes: Oh lord. Just what the reputation of nurses as professionals needs. We truly are our own worst enemy. :thumbdown:

It's not her fault. There is no long-term "training" (ie - indoctrination) in nursing that conforms young minds to a specific culture. A couple years of school, a couple weeks of orientation, and there you go.

I think a nurse's first job does more to shape their attitude, work ethic, keeping up with professional knowledge base, etc than anything else.

No, there isn't. There should be, but I don't rule the world yet. ;)

You are correct about that first job, which is exactly why I left mine. So much learning takes places during the first year out of college, and if you're in a crappy institution where will that education come from?

Why was she fired? What's the gossip on that?

She was fired because the Clinic didn't think the book adhered to the trust, teamwork, and patient confidentiality their employees (and all employees of a hospital) are supposed to have. Whatever. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I don't agree with her getting fired, but how stupid can you be to badmouth your bosses and workplace in a book ? (horribly written btw!).
I'm must sick of hearing about it from her colleagues all friggin day :mad:

At least you don't have DO radiology residents hawking hydroxycut. :laugh:

http://www.adriennezurub.com/

The fun continues. Seriously, if you read her writing out loud, it sounds like a schizophrenic patient during a mental status exam.

"Adrienne (and UBU) has an Associate Degree in Nursing, a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, and a Master's Degree in Philosophy with a Concentration in Bioethics. She applied to and was accepted into Law School but decided not to go to pursue her artistic selves. "

"Her interests are sleeping, World Travel, reading, and quietly judging others, internet link addiction, and buying modern works of art. She wants to form a band and name it, Adrienne against Mondays!"

"There is LIFE outside the OR! Coming out of the insular and routine environment of the OR can be scary. Imagine going from being someone who can do an Ascending Aorta aneursym with coronary reimplantation, replace the aortic valve a five-time reop on a 78 year-old on a balloon pump, after first dissecting out and cannulating the right subclavian artery; and cannulating the femoral vein with and ECHMO cannula. Let's not forget the 2-3 hours of dissection after the chest is finally successfully opened!
Then, to challenge yourself pursuing something you always wanted to do?! From the bottom?! IT CAN BE DONE! Let's explore strategies to nurture and discover your other selves and become the WHOLE person you are meant to be!!!"

Seriously? I'm only an M2, but I was under the impression that the surgeries are performed by surgeons. Am I mistaken? It appears that OR nurses handle that.