Tired...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSYCHDR40

Matt 19:26
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't start my post-bac until this Summer, but I am auditing a Math class this semester and I am soooo tired. I feel my age. I feel old walking around campus looking at all the youngins. How do you keep your energy up? I haven't even started yet and I am tired. I remember in grad school how exhausted I was getting through the program. Sometimes, I would be driving to class, internship, part-time job, graduate assistantship, etc., just crying from sheer exhaustion. I'm so not looking forward to grad school torture again. Any good tips?

Members don't see this ad.

If it's weighing on you that much before you even start, I'd seriously go back to square one and consider why you're doing this to begin with. If that reason is strong enough to lift the weight from your back, then forge ahead. ;) Remind yourself of why you're doing what you're doing at the start of every week, or even the start of every day. Also, meditate for a period before starting your day and find time to think about why you're doing what you're doing. This simple daily act seems to be the advice of many people in pre-med and med school.

I would ask yourself, Do I really need Grad school again? If not don't do it. If so then the previous poster already made my point. How much do you want it? Can you live without it? In the end choose what is best for you and your needs.

If you need a momentary break then take it and enjoy something you haven't in a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any good tips?

Eat healthy, get enough sleep, exercise regularly. Stuff you already know but might not be holding to as strictly as you could. You'll never really recapture your youth, but you might be surprised what a huge difference strict adherence to "healthy" living can make.

Eat healthy, get enough sleep, exercise regularly. Stuff you already know but might not be holding to as strictly as you could. You'll never really recapture your youth, but you might be surprised what a huge difference strict adherence to "healthy" living can make.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Absolutely. If you can improve your physical health, that's where you'll find more energy. Before you can blame age, look at:
- are you at a healthy weight?
- do you drink to excess?
- do you depend on caffeine or nicotine to function?
- do you mindlessly eat garbage non-foods?
- do you get good sleep?
- do you proactively solve or manage emotional/personal/financial problems in your life?
- are you on prescription drugs that you could avoid by being in better physical shape?
- do you commit hours of your day to energy-sucking activities? (ahem...facebook...SDN...the entire history of XKCD in one sitting...)

If the above sounds judgy, that's not my intention: I fiercely defend and maintain my 44-going-on-27 energy. I could care less about looking like Demi Moore (or acquiring an Ashton) but I have to feel physically good to play this med school game.

Best of luck to you.

All of this. But this too. Not just a couple of hours a week piddling around on a treadmill. There's exercise. Of the geriatric sort. And then there's fierce and elegant body-morphic technologies--most of them developed milennia before western medicine even approached the sophistication of bloodletting and the religious manipulation of humours.

You want to go into this pathological inferno. That perfects the exploitation of naive ambition with the dark alchemy of Satan. And turns the arrogance of youth into minions of stress, passive-aggressive psychosis, dysfunctional relationships, suicide, drug addiction, anxiety, and general anti-social behavior.

And you worried about being tired. You will need well-crafted armor of which rigorous self care is but a key element. I could elaborate but I can tell I'm already getting the blank e-stares of a madman.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Absolutely. If you can improve your physical health, that's where you'll find more energy. Before you can blame age, look at:
- are you at a healthy weight?
- do you drink to excess?
- do you depend on caffeine or nicotine to function?
- do you mindlessly eat garbage non-foods?
- do you get good sleep?
- do you proactively solve or manage emotional/personal/financial problems in your life?
- are you on prescription drugs that you could avoid by being in better physical shape?
- do you commit hours of your day to energy-sucking activities? (ahem...facebook...SDN...the entire history of XKCD in one sitting...)

If the above sounds judgy, that's not my intention: I fiercely defend and maintain my 44-going-on-27 energy. I could care less about looking like Demi Moore (or acquiring an Ashton) but I have to feel physically good to play this med school game.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
All of this. But this too. Not just a couple of hours a week piddling around on a treadmill. There's exercise. Of the geriatric sort. And then there's fierce and elegant body-morphic technologies--most of them developed milennia before western medicine even approached the sophistication of bloodletting and the religious manipulation of humours.

You want to go into this pathological inferno. That perfects the exploitation of naive ambition with the dark alchemy of Satan. And turns the arrogance of youth into minions of stress, passive-aggressive psychosis, dysfunctional relationships, suicide, drug addiction, anxiety, and general anti-social behavior.

And you worried about being tired. You will need well-crafted armor of which rigorous self care is but a key element. I could elaborate but I can tell I'm already getting the blank e-stares of a madman.

But Nasrudin, you're breaking the first rule of fight club!

I don't start my post-bac until this Summer, but I am auditing a Math class this semester and I am soooo tired. I feel my age. I feel old walking around campus looking at all the youngins. How do you keep your energy up? I haven't even started yet and I am tired. I remember in grad school how exhausted I was getting through the program. Sometimes, I would be driving to class, internship, part-time job, graduate assistantship, etc., just crying from sheer exhaustion. I'm so not looking forward to grad school torture again. Any good tips?

Yeah do you really need this post-bac?

conanlamentationsofdehwhemen.gif

Yeah do you really need this post-bac?

Hi all, thanks for the tips. I really need the post-bac as I have a history in human services and math/science was basic. I'm pretty much starting from scratch.