This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhereMyLiberalsAt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stuff

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow, ridiculous turn around! From my times on sdn and real life anecdotes, I think you still have a shot! Have you applied this cycle?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wow, ridiculous turn around! From my times on sdn and real life anecdote, I think you still have a shot! Have you applied this cycle?

I did not apply this cycle. Even though I believe the admins on here are jaded out of their mind, which means a lot of their advice literally is copy and pasted and lacks any personal touch (and I do understand why and I'm not faulting them for that.) I do believe their universal advice for applying when your app is at its best is golden. I use to think this advice was too simple/obvious to be of worth.... But surprisingly I have seen countless premed friends apply before their app was at its best. If nontrads bring one thing to the table it's delaying of gratification! I will apply to one school this cycle (ICOM) but will apply next cycle when my app will be at its strongest... I was pretty emotionally drained when this semester started but curtain things have just dragged me down even further. You HAVE to "kill" the MCAT..... NOPE..... You have to prove you can handle a heavy schedule "prove to us you can handle med school"...... (Do a nasty/hard schedule..... Check..... But get a C in some stupid evolutionary bio class)..... NOPE..... This is the general/universal advice..... I feel like I botched everything right at the end and really I can only blame myself on this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will apply to one school this cycle (ICOM) but will apply next cycle when my app will be at its strongest... I feel like I botched everything right at the end and really I can only blame myself on this one.

You might want to rethink the plan to apply to one now and more later. I remember multiple threads in the past about how not getting in the first go-round makes it much harder the second year, even if you only applied to one school.

I'll have to look into that... I thought it only hurt you if the school had previously reviewed your app and they annotated it.... Also if I can't get into a brand new school that is only a couple hours away, I might have some problems (I mean they're taking apps in December!!!! New schools stats are underwhelming at best and that's when they start accepting apps in June!)

PS: I know just because it's a new school doesn't mean their first class won't be of good caliber... I also know no one deserves an acceptance.... Just saying if I can't get a secondary or II, I might be facing some bigger issues.

EDIT: grammer

It does sound like it might work out for you, though. I'm not sure about the annotating. I hadn't heard that - you might be right. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the luck as well as giving me a heads up on a possible poor choice!

@Goro @gyngyn What are your thoughts on being a re-applicant in this specific situation. I know med schools are in a seller's market but I believe ICOM and their timing will slightly play to the applicants favor (for the average applicant, which I am not... I'm aware I'm below that mark.) I saw doing a soft round could lead to me understanding the process and with the added benefit of no gap year. However, if the risk outweighs the reward (and I need your insight to assess that risk) I can wait just a few more months longer.
What school is ICOM?

Thanks for the luck as well as giving me a heads up on a possible poor choice!

@Goro @gyngyn What are your thoughts on being a re-applicant in this specific situation. I know med schools are in a seller's market but I believe ICOM and their timing will slightly play to the applicants favor (for the average applicant, which I am not... I'm aware I'm below that mark.) I saw doing a soft round could lead to me understanding the process and with the added benefit of no gap year. However, if the risk outweighs the reward (and I need your insight to assess that risk) I can wait just a few more months longer.
I think that being a reapplicant has a bad rap on SDN.

Many schools are OK as long as you significantly prove your app from the first time around, and amazingly, actually give useful advice about this on their websites. But looking this up is too much for a lot of people, unfortunately.

Libs, you have to get your depression under control before you even think about ever applying. med school is a furnace.

Libs, you have to get your depression under control before you even think about ever applying. med school is a furnace.

This x1000,000

Getting into medical school is just scratching the surface. I always echo this saying in my head "be careful what you wish for, it might just come true".

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn New Idaho DO school.

@Goro I do agree about the depression thing.... However, I also believe that depression isn't a fault/sin/weakness.... The actions and decisions that people make while depressed should be the examination. If I gave up, dropped out, quite studying, start being dismissive to my wife, rude to my peers, stopped doing my research.... THEN it is of serious concern. I've seen many good, and emotionally competent people go through a depressing time. But the their actions are what I look at the most. Even with that said, I do agree that I need to show the discipline to control those negative emotions.
You're partly right, but you're not quite getting it. You have a disease. You don't "show the discipline to control" GI bleeding or hypertension. You get it treated. Same with depression.
Again, m
edical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.