Titers for aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cytarabine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to go about getting these done? Do they require a doctor visit or can you just go to a lab and ask for them? I assume insurance generally doesn't cover them?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't you have them done when you entered med school? Our med school covered this, as it was required for all med students. They also covered any vax/booster needed if titers weren't high enough. Same thing for residency (and my job as an attending); it was a condition of employment and I had to provide these records or be re-tested.

If you have never had these done, contact your student health services; if your insurance doesn't cover the labs, this is probably the most cost-friendly option for you. You can also ask if you need a doctor visit or not. Make sure to get copies of all the results to keep in your files for future documentation.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't you have them done when you entered med school? Our med school covered this, as it was required for all med students. They also covered any vax/booster needed if titers weren't high enough. Same thing for residency (and my job as an attending); it was a condition of employment and I had to provide these records or be re-tested.

If you have never had these done, contact your student health services; if your insurance doesn't cover the labs, this is probably the most cost-friendly option for you. You can also ask if you need a doctor visit or not. Make sure to get copies of all the results to keep in your files for future documentation.
Most schools I believe only require documentation of having gotten the specific vaccination, not actual titers . I think a lot of California schools required titers esp. for aways rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

We definitely required either proof of vaccination or titers at my school (don't remember if it was either/or or if titers were required). The policies vary from institution to institution - I know a bunch of the class ahead of me needed to get titers drawn for aways. I'll send an email to student health, thanks!

There are sites online where, for a small fee, you can "order" your own labs and then present their documentation at quest or your local medical lab. Google is your friend here.

Speaking as a lowly patient I know that at least some insurance companies cover them. I went to my PCP and he ordered titers for me so I went downstairs and got them. 100% covered by BCBS.

I got mine drawn at my student health at my medical school way back in the day. I've kept them to this day. I'm chiming in to tell you wherever you get them from hold onto those documents like they are gold. You'll need them every step of the way going forward including residency, fellowship, and hospital credentialing

Reactions: 1 users
Most schools I believe only require documentation of having gotten the specific vaccination, not actual titers . I think a lot of California schools required titers esp. for aways rotations.

It's things like this that make me think my PCP losing my vaccination records was a blessing in disguise.

Reactions: 1 user
It's things like this that make me think my PCP losing my vaccination records was a blessing in disguise.
Yup. Once you have titers, that's the best thing. When you're an intern, if you say you don't have your vacc records, they'll just to do the titers there and pay for it.

I got mine drawn at my student health at my medical school way back in the day. I've kept them to this day. I'm chiming in to tell you wherever you get them from hold onto those documents like they are gold. You'll need them every step of the way going forward including residency, fellowship, and hospital credentialing
Yes, definitely. Keep them on PDF bc med school admins are idiots on this type of stuff.

This is the type of form student health has on record for me

4fpX0Cb.jpg

On school letterhead. Is that sufficient or am I going to need to hunt down papers from my old pediatrician and get titers for what they don't have?

There are sites online where, for a small fee, you can "order" your own labs and then present their documentation at quest or your local medical lab. Google is your friend here.

lol this is sweet, never knew about that

Some places require titers. The ones I needed weren't covered my insurance, so it ended up being like 70-80 bucks/titer out of pocket for them . I'd check out something like econolabs.com as opposed to just going to Quest or some other lab (was getting quoted $120+ per titer from other labs).

I had to get titers for school and I think it was during a brief period I was going without insurance that I got it done. I went to some cheap clinic in a super sketch neighborhood and got them done for not much money. I don't remember if I actually saw a doc or if they just ran it for me. I did call ahead of time to ask about getting them done, which is how I ended up at that place (they were cheapest). I made sure I kept that thing in a safe place since then and it has come in handy a few times for places that wanted titers (including hospital privileges).