TMDSAS 2007: Advise and Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That makes sense...they want replies by Jan 15 so they can send another round. I'm sure that's true for all the schools. So second rounds after:

SA-Jan 8
Houston-Jan 12
Baylor-Jan 15

??????

Members don't see this ad.

Somehow I doubt any of the schools only have 20 spots left. To my knowledge the schools send out enough acceptances in hopes of filling 1/3 to 1/2 of their class in December. Keep in mind many of the ppl of this board have been accepted to 2 or 3 of the schools in Texas. That leaves a spot open for the next round of letters at the school they don't choose. I wouldn't freak out just yet.

you are right toothfairy, they plan on getting answers from only like 50-60% of the total letters they have sent. Baylor in particular sent out 100 and about 70 ppl already replied accepting it! That leaves only 20 spots... lets say maximum amount of letters they will mail out in the second round is tops 25-30.

Yeah...... the future for those of us who didn't get in the first round, is not so bright and shiney. There is still a chance that u might be one out of those 20-30 letters, but hopefully ur stats are comeptitive enough to where u stand out!

I don't want to loose hope, but I think I am already starting to prepare for the next appllication cycle which sucks so bad. Now is the question, what do you do? Take more classes, retake DAT.... or both!

Good luck to everyone that is still waiting to hear. I like all of you still hope for January to be a happy month!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, if yall don’t remember me, I'm the guy that actual started this post.
I have been accepted to both SA and Houston but not Baylor.
As you can see from my stats, i have a 4.0 and DAT scoer of 23... y don’t they accept me? I called any they told me that i havent made it to the first cut but never gave me a good reason why. I feel like this is an insult to my intelligence and my hard work.

I did not get or hear anything form Baylor either. I dont know anyone who did within my circle of d=pre-dents here in austin. Whatever.....It was not even a concideration for me but a nod may have been nice. I would have at least liked to see the school. ( maybe )

Hey, if yall don’t remember me, I'm the guy that actual started this post.
I have been accepted to both SA and Houston but not Baylor.
As you can see from my stats, i have a 4.0 and DAT score of 23... y don’t they accept me? I called any they told me that i havent made it to the first cut but never gave me a good reason why. I feel like this is an insult to my intelligence and my hard work.

You can have my spot and my scholarship.

It seems like you'd get in before me. I have a 3.86 and a 22.

Accepted
Baylor: aggie-master, aggie.teacher, tamubeast, toothfairy85, Pelotari
San Antonio: aggie.teacher!!!, Tux, toothfairy85, dippedindettol, DDeStiny, itsall3324453!, Procrastinate, aggie-master
Houston: aggie-master, DDeStiny, Pelotari, ElliotMX884, Ex_EE, itsall3324453!, toothfairy85, aggie.teacher, Csdental, Tux

Attending
Baylor: tamubeast, aggie.teacher
San Antonio: Procrastinate, aggie-master, dippedindettol, DDeStiny
Houston: Ex_EE, Pelotari, Csdental

Accepted
Baylor: aggie-master, aggie.teacher, tamubeast, toothfairy85, Pelotari, Claude
San Antonio: aggie.teacher!!!, Tux, toothfairy85, dippedindettol, DDeStiny, itsall3324453!, Procrastinate, aggie-master, Claude
Houston: aggie-master, DDeStiny, Pelotari, ElliotMX884, Ex_EE, itsall3324453!, toothfairy85, aggie.teacher, Csdental, Tux, Claude

Attending
Baylor: tamubeast, aggie.teacher
San Antonio: Procrastinate, aggie-master, dippedindettol, DDeStiny
Houston: Ex_EE, Pelotari, Csdental

At Baylor we were told they filled all but two spots on the first round last year.

Claude, have u decided where u will go?

Claude, when did you receive your Houston letter? Am still waiting for Houston. I called UT houston, and they said that they will send out acceptance letters "periodically" from now on?! Think am gonna move to live in my mailbox!

I got a letter from San Antonio on 12/1, Baylor 12/2, and Houston 12/4. I can't decide where I want to go. I'd like to hear why everyone is choosing the schools they want to go to! ... or the schools they don't want to go to and why.

Members don't see this ad :)
Somehow I doubt any of the schools only have 20 spots left. To my knowledge the schools send out enough acceptances in hopes of filling 1/3 to 1/2 of their class in December. Keep in mind many of the ppl of this board have been accepted to 2 or 3 of the schools in Texas. That leaves a spot open for the next round of letters at the school they don't choose. I wouldn't freak out just yet.

Don't give up hope toothfairy, although 100 acceptances went out and many may be replying, there are a number of those that won't actually go there. Many who receive multiple acceptances will send them all back while they take their time to decide, so acceptances are extended all the way till July. I have a friend who was driving a moving truck to Harvard when he made a u-turn and went to Baylor, so you never know! I held spots at three schools until April when I decided. As for 70 people formally accepting their positions, I wonder where that info is coming from......:rolleyes: It does'nt really matter, just be hopeful!

Sorry toothfairy, I didn't realize you were already accepted, congratulations for that. For all those paying attention to this thread that have'nt been accepted, my comments were directed to you.

I have been accepted to all 3 schools... just trying to decide where to go.

Baylor is a great school. It's not in the best neighborhood, but the facility and the faculty make up for that. Any Texas school is good though, it's just a matter of matching your personality and the environment you want to be in.

if i am a liberal raised in Austin and lived for a while in Houston, where do you think I should go???

Baylor is a great school. It's not in the best neighborhood, but the facility and the faculty make up for that. Any Texas school is good though, it's just a matter of matching your personality and the environment you want to be in.

I love Austin! They should build dental school in Austin what do u think?

I still haven't heard a word from SA or Houston, but my LMFU date changed to today.......... anyone else's changed?

I still haven't heard a word from SA or Houston, but my LMFU date changed to today.......... anyone else's changed?

Mine has today's date too and I've already been accepted by all three schools that I applied to last week.

They might just have a batch job that runs once a week and updates everyones file even if there were no changes.

weird stuff.... i promised myself I won't look at it, and just stop thinking about when and if the letter will come, but it is stronger than me!

But yeah I think they just run weekly updates on some ppl... bc it is exactly a week since the last time they updated it. Feels more like a month!

I got a letter from San Antonio on 12/1, Baylor 12/2, and Houston 12/4. I can't decide where I want to go. I'd like to hear why everyone is choosing the schools they want to go to! ... or the schools they don't want to go to and why.

I think you should go to Houston since you already live there.

If location isn't that big of a deal then go to San Antonio because that is where all of the cool people go. ;)

I chose Baylor because of 1)facilities 2)my family is in Dallas = support 3)you don't have to share your cadaver :) 4)laptop curriculum is not for me - I would never get anything done! Like when I'm on SDN!

Does anyone here have their interview with Baylor on 11/3 or with San Antonio on 11/6?
I was just wondering if anyone in my interview group got in.
I thought my score (DAT=20, GPA=3.8) was competitive enough to make first cut but apparently not. I haven't heard from either school and my interview with Houston isn't until 1/8. I think I will have to prepare for the next app. cycle now. :( This is so heartbreaking.

wow I am suprised u didn't hear from them yet. Did u apply late?

I think Houston will like u a lot. Besides, even though I haven't made the first cut either, I know there is still plenty of time. Three months to be exact before you need to start panicking and preparing for the next cycle.

Just hang in there, you will get in.

wow I am suprised u didn't hear from them yet. Did u apply late?

I think Houston will like u a lot. Besides, even though I haven't made the first cut either, I know there is still plenty of time. Three months to be exact before you need to start panicking and preparing for the next cycle.

Just hang in there, you will get in.

My application was complete in early October. I guess that's pretty late.
I know someone with better scores that only got into San Antonio and someone else with lower scores and got into all 3 schools. My theory is they put all the qualified applicants on the table, blindfold themselves, and start picking. Fun and easy...don't you think?
But you're right, we should be optimistic until March. It's just really hard for me because I'm in transition and I need to either plan for the next year or for the next four years. I can wait for dental school but my job won't wait for me.

I feel your pain!!! I am in the exact same boat...I feel like I can't do anything untill I know yes or no. Then I can start planning. I am stuck in this time hole where things can just go one way or the other, and there is no way of knowing.

I like your theory of how they pick who gets in. Hahha... But you have extremely solid stats... that confuses me.

does anyone know how much the deposit is for SA? and when they will send us the paperwork telling us to deposit $$?

So, SA didn't tell you how much the deposit is when they gave you an acceptance? That's strange Houston had a form to return along with your $30 check.

Did anyone reapply this year? Did you get all new Letters of Rec, write a completely new Personal Statement, and all of that?

I know some people who got into all 3 schools with mediocre stats. So I'm kind of confused about why some people did and some people didn't hear anything on dec. 1.

I might start agreeing with what ndang said... hah.

Every dentist I talked to about the big Dec 1 day (couple of interviewers, lots of gen. dents) made a big deal about not getting too excited about Dec 1. They just know too many people with great stats...or even mediocre stats, that don't hear that early and they didn't want me to get down on myself in case I didn't hear. Easy for me to say, I know, but apparently it's super common to not hear on Dec 1. It kinda made me feel bad when they said it, but what they were really saying is, "you've got what it takes, if you don't hear early, it doesn't mean you're out...keep your hopes up" So...keep your hopes up!!

I still haven't turned Baylor down. I wish they didn't make you write a letter.

I still haven't turned SA down. The letter just sits in my car with stamp and all...just until things are nice and finalized.

Every dentist I talked to about the big Dec 1 day (couple of interviewers, lots of gen. dents) made a big deal about not getting too excited about Dec 1. They just know too many people with great stats...or even mediocre stats, that don't hear that early and they didn't want me to get down on myself in case I didn't hear. Easy for me to say, I know, but apparently it's super common to not hear on Dec 1. It kinda made me feel bad when they said it, but what they were really saying is, "you've got what it takes, if you don't hear early, it doesn't mean you're out...keep your hopes up" So...keep your hopes up!!

Yeah, but i'm sure you're more than qualified so they are telling you to keep your hopes up. What about the people who arent more than qualified ;)

then to the rest of us we sit ,wait, hope, and pray. ;) And think of what is that they need to do next cycle to make it all better. Hahha... gosh....... this is killing me

Yeah, but i'm sure you're more than qualified so they are telling you to keep your hopes up. What about the people who arent more than qualified ;)
You don't have to be more than qualified...just qualified! :) As a lot of the worriers are...

Houston cashed my check. I guess that makes it official now.

Ex_EE - If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats and when was your interview date with Houston??

3.77 / 3.75 20 TS 21 AA 20 PAT
I interviewed 10/23

just so I don't feel like a complete idiot, as soon as u ppl start getting second round of letters plz post right away. So much for a happy christmas over here..... maybe better luck in next year? hahah... :D