TMDSAS HPAC LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I had someone tell me last year that you needed one science LOR and one non-science LOR for your HPAC packet which is delivered to TMDSAS (plus the boiler plate letter you get as a committee letter). Today the HPAC head said you can have 2 science letters or one of each; the only requirement was that at least one was from a science professor. Is there some benefit to have 2 science letters over 1 science and 1 non-science or vice versa? Is it best to just pick your two strongest letter writers, even if they are both science profs?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools require 2 science 1 non-science, others require 1 science and 1 non-science. I have yet to see a school that has not asked for a non-science letter. You're better off getting at least 3 professor letters, 2 science, 1 non-science. Cover your bases.

Even if a committee letter is used, it'll most likely have the individual letters as part of the packet. Adcoms may want to read them as well.

I personally had four letters used to create my committee letter/packet

- Science professor (home university lab PI)
- Science professor (TA professor)
- Healthcare (Hospital floor manager; a BSN)
- Non-science professor (professor I've met with intermittently over all four years)

I agree with the above that, unless there are specific requirements either for your HPAC or to a school to which you're applying (for example, UCF has requirements even if you have a packet), you should use your strongest letter writers. Use the people who can talk about who you are and why you're an amazing person.

The schools have your GPA and MCAT. They don't need people to tell them you're good at science, they know that already.

Get people who can talk about your other qualities, whoever they may be.