TMDSAS Match Ranking: Texas A&M ENMED vs UTMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElimGarak

Reaction score
ENMED

Pros
  • Innovative and interesting program
  • In the TMC at Houston Methodist, which will provide great clinical opportunities
  • I will also get a masters in engineering
  • Smaller class size

Cons
  • Not yet well established
  • Tuition and cost of living are higher
  • curriculum is less laid back and less focused on STEP exam scores
  • HPF grading system
UTMB

Pros
  • P/F grading system is more relaxed
  • Curriculum is focused on STEP exams
  • Match list is said to be good (I'm not completely sure how to interpret the list myself)
  • Laid back environment

Cons
  • Galveston has less to offer than Houston (I know UTMB students do rotate to the TMC on occasion, but I will probably be in Galveston most of the time)
  • Bigger class size
  • Galveston is a slightly less preferred location, as I enjoy living in larger cities
  • Hurricanes have historically caused a lot of damage in Galveston, which I am slightly concerned about (not to say Houston hasn't also received damage).

Summary: I enjoyed interviewing at both and enjoyed the environment at both places. I am interested in being an oncologist, if that affects this at all.

Members don't see this ad.

ENMED

Pros
  • Innovative and interesting program
  • In the TMC at Houston Methodist, which will provide great clinical opportunities
  • I will also get a masters in engineering
  • Smaller class size

Cons
  • Not yet well established
  • Tuition and cost of living are higher
  • curriculum is less laid back and less focused on STEP exam scores
  • HPF grading system
UTMB

Pros
  • P/F grading system is more relaxed
  • Curriculum is focused on STEP exams
  • Match list is said to be good (I'm not completely sure how to interpret the list myself)
  • Laid back environment

Cons
  • Galveston has less to offer than Houston (I know UTMB students do rotate to the TMC on occasion, but I will probably be in Galveston most of the time)
  • Bigger class size
  • Galveston is a slightly less preferred location, as I enjoy living in larger cities
  • Hurricanes have historically caused a lot of damage in Galveston, which I am slightly concerned about (not to say Houston hasn't also received damage).

Summary: I enjoyed interviewing at both and enjoyed the environment at both places. I am interested in being an oncologist, if that affects this at all.

What would you like to do with your future? It seems you applied to ENMED for a reason: to do engineering at some point in your medical career because you are interested. You would not have applied to the ENMED "track" if you weren't interested. I agree with the above poster, being close to MD Anderson has the most potential to where you see yourself in the future.

This is sort of an old thread but is anyone concerned about EnMed's youth? Like since we don't have STEP scores from previous classes or where students have matched into, it makes me concerned as to whether the curriculum is compatible. When I interviewed at EnMed, most of the students were pretty laid back (good thing ofc) but they seemed to not worry about where they'd eventually match into. Obviously they're looking at having a unique career trajectory with engineering/medicine, but I'd like to become a great physician in my specialty of choice before anything else.