TMDSAS Rank: UTMB vs TTUHSC Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christmaswater

Reaction score
Note: the pros and cons I can think of are relative, not absolute. Please feel free to correct me if I put anything down you don't believe to be accurate.

UTMB
Pros
  • Largest alumni network for TX med school
  • Galveston, cool history
  • Collaborative, student-friendly culture (VERY happy students)
  • Step style questions on every exam

Cons
  • Administrative issues/turnover (per SDN)? Not sure how much this affects students
  • Tuition is slightly more expensive
  • Cost of living is more expensive
  • Some facilities are slightly older

TTUHSC Lubbock
Pros
  • Very solid match list
  • Tuition is slightly less expensive
  • Cost living is less expensive
  • Newer facilities

Cons
  • Start straight away with Anatomy (no META like UTMB)
  • Lubbock, also much farther from home for me
  • Culture seems fine but perhaps not as good as UTMB? Not sure, hard to tell which is better
  • Smaller alumni network

Summary: I'm not the best at telling apart match lists and curriculums that are both P/F so I would appreciate some more detailed input of things to consider. Overall, I would be grateful to attend either school but would love to know which is a better fit for me to rank higher for match. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The 2 schools are more or less in the same tier as far as Texas medical schools go and especially now when you strip away a lot of the numbers game and having pass/fail curriculum ( I know back in the day when I was applying UTMB had the reputation of producing really high average Step 1 scores which is a moot point now) Basically to me, it boils down to cost and location/logistics as in are you OK with potentially having to move to a branch campus for 3rd/4th year at Tech